Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

What is this? I think I see sugar cubes and potato sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Dienes posted:

More like, consider that it is all fructose and glucose, and your body processes it exactly the same whether it is corn syrup, pear juice, or cane sugar. The only people that give a poo poo about HFCS are the ones that don't understand chemistry.

That's not actually true HFCS/glucose/fructose/honey are all pretty much the same thing but cane sugar is sucrose which is processed differently by the body. The process of breaking starches and sucrose into monosaccharides trigger different amounts of insulin during digestion from straight monosaccharides. The difference in digestion pathways leads to feeling hungrier quicker and if you eat enough an increased sucebtibility to Type 2 diabetes.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Dienes posted:

I've heard that, too, but there's some research that suggests that isn't the case. Your body breaks sucrose into its component glucose and fructose pretty quickly, and then all fructose and glucose are the same regardless of the source.

Here's a good right up of a study with different results for long term consumption:

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/index.xml?section=topstories

It's not settled science but it's reasonable to avoid overconsumption which even a daily soda probably is.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Skip the root beer and use actual beer. vanilla ice cream + a decent porter/stout is loving awesome

I've tried a few beer floats and they were all terrible. Root beer schnapps floats on the other hand are amazing.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Americans calling bacon "ham" is the dumbest loving thing. Ham is the stuff you can just eat as it is, bacon is the stuff you have to cook. How do you gently caress that up?

Oh, and middle bacon is the best. American bacon is garbage.

You don't have to cook American bacon either. It's cured and smoked. My aunt has raw bacon and mountain dew for breakfast most days.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

That's awesome. She actually lives in Jacksonville.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Does she run a 60-person dance crew?

Sorry, she does not. I don't think she's been up to dancing in a decade or so.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The worst school lunch I had, health-wise, was one humdinger of a carbfest at a Korean public school:

Garlic bread (sugar on top, of course)
Pizza
Spaghetti in a cream sauce
Hot ham water (literally; hot dogs cut up and cooked in water, then served like soup)
Rice
Kimchi
Sugary yogurts
Ice cream bars

It was gross as gently caress.

If we're going for an unhealthy lunch that doesn't hold a candle to what "breakfast for lunch" became at my high school. For some reason they moved from pancakes and sausage to funnel cakes and sausage. There was also a fruit, vegetable, and dessert as options. Most plates ended up as a funnel cake covered with syrup and powdered sugar, greasy sausage, chocolate pudding, fruit cup, skip the boiled veggies, and a carton of lemon drink or chocolate milk.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Still it's raw meat. Yuck. I mean I love a blue steak as much as the next person, but I am not doing raw pork.

You can get raw pork belly but bacon isn't really raw pork, it's smoked.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I think the black stuff is black bean sauce. It's frequently added to stir-fries and kind of looks like that.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Tuna sashimi with black garlic, frisee, some kind of puree, and seaweed salad. Looks delicious to me. Assuming the puree works with the rest of that, it probably tastes great too. It's even a reasonable serving served in a fairly normal bowl.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Same. Got some in a soup at a great Thai place and thought "okay, that really does taste pretty soapy... but actually goes very well with the soup". And from that point on I just kept eating it and lost the soap sensation very quickly, except for one or two more times when it was like, dang man fuckin cilantro is soapy today.

I dunno if that means I've got the gene and don't care, or I was expecting soap taste the first time around so much I fooled myself into actually tasting it, or there are subtly different strains of cilantro.

I think some of it is just that people use way too much for me. A bit chopped into salsa? Great. On the other hand, we have a local bahn mi place that sticks half a plant on each sandwich. I tear off 3 or 4 leaves and hand the rest off to my wife. It's ok as an accent but I want to taste other things too.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

This actually looks like a good combination. Chocolate and orange go together, putting fruit on cereal is normal, chocolate milk on cereal isn't too much of a leap. I'd cut the orange chunks smaller but would.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Tashilicious posted:

Banana would be better tbh

Banana is definitely the superior choice. Both sound alright though.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Zipperelli. posted:

I was reading a recipe earlier for sausage gravy stuffed into biscuits like a hot pocket, and when I got to the comments, someone had mentioned using cream of mushroom soup and almond milk, and I think that was the point where I'd had enough internet for a bit.

Now that I've had time to consider it, I still have no loving clue what he was doing with cream of mushroom soup in sausage gravy :psyduck:

I've had biscuits and gravy made with mushroom gravy at a vegetarian restaurant before. It's not exactly the same thing but if the gravy is good it's drat tasty. I didn't think cream of mushroom soup was vegan though so I'm not sure I undertand how almond milk fits into this.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

What if they told him to try their ground beef and potato stew.

What is the value of stringently maintaining the categorical identity of a food.

Storming out of the restaurant is a bit much but if you want people to pay for your food then you need to accurately describe it on the menu. People have the right to personal preferences and hell some people have allergies or diabetes or whatever. If you brought chili with potatoes to a diabetic you better be prepared to comp that meal because they didn't order a pile of carbs, they ordered chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

it wasn't a restaurant.

Sorry , I missed that part. I hate misnamed stuff at restaurants but someone's house is a whole different thing.

zedprime posted:

Most chilis are a pile of carbs though. With corn, rice, maybe cornstarch if the chef is sensitive about the thickness and doesn't want chunks of carbs. Beans tend to lean heavy into carbs too although we cullinarily treat them as protein.

There are certain chili enthusiasts who like to be like "behold the spoon stands up in my no added bean or carb chili" but let's be real, those are warm chili flavored aspics.

I've never once seen chili with rice though. Where on earth is that a thing? I think we may be living in parallel universes if this is your chili experience.