Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

deadly_pudding posted:

While we're on the topic of Canadian foods:
How do you guys feel about fanciful variations on poutine? There's a pub here called Tap & Mallet that has like a curry flavored poutine on their menu that I thought was pretty alright. It could have stood to be spicier, in my opinion.

I guess I'm wondering, how much do Canadians care about poutine sanctity. Are there poutine rules?

On a similar note, when does it stop being poutine and start being just loaded fries? I've seen restaurants calling elaborate fry dishes with no cheese curds and no gravy (unless you view any sauce as a gravy) poutine, which seems like too much to me. It can be delicious without being poutine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Sweet As Sin posted:

Tres leches?

The nilla wafers make me think it's banana pudding, which would be appropriate for this thread.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

Well my story is I am going to a mates place this evening and will be taking desert along. I decided to bake a ginger slice instead of just buying something because I really love ginger slice but have never attempted to bake it. I suck at baking and always end up making a big mess or burning myself in a stupid manner; and the thing I bake typically ends up looking like poo poo.

Thus: I will take pictures of my adventure in baking ginger slice so that you all can laugh if I post a picture of my hand covered in burnt caramel.

I've never heard of a ginger slice before, or the term slice to apparently refer to what are usually called bars in the US? Is that right? I feel like you've opened up a whole new world of recipes to find and make.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Nascardad posted:

No comment

Gross. Everyone knows the hot dogs have to be cut up and actually in the mac & cheese.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

That's obviously just pulled pork over poutine with a lattice of bbq sauce, the gently caress you talking about son

I think Lard Goat was talking about the Italian beef sandwich someone asked about adding cheese to, not the poutine. The implication being whether cheese is acceptable on pulled pork has nothing to do with whether it works on an Italian beef.

Man, now I want a combo. And some pulled pork.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

He was responding directly to P. Prince's photo of pulled pork and claiming it wasn't pulled pork so that's be a really weird coincidence

Yeah, he could have made it clearer, but it being a poorly written post makes more sense to me, especially since he'd said something previously about cheese not working on the beef. :shrug: Not really a coincidence, since the cheese on the pulled pork came up in the discussion of the cheese on beef. I don't think he meant the pulled pork itself was beef. If he did, he's obviously super wrong.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

A little disappointed the Bloody Mary pictures didn't include this one:

Also found this one, which made me want to vomit:

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Who is the market for this? Why is the flavor name a combination of French and Spanish but everything else is Made In USA?

Pretty sure that's Tagalog, which I'm guessing got its words for corn and cheese from the Spanish. Or maybe it's like, Filipino Spanish, hence the spelling of maiz as mais. Either way, not French.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

dev286 posted:

https://youtu.be/9fGxB6BMO5E

Saw this TV ad today and thought of this thread

Do you think anyone watches this ad and thinks "ooh, that looks good!"

Not sure it's ok to directly link the special menu they created just for these, which I had to google to confirm were real, but I took a screenshot of the first page:

If only, menu. If only.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I loving love zubrowka. As for terrible cocktails I drank it over chocolate ice cream once. I don't remember why but I also don't remember hating it

You can get grasovka, which is also a polish bison grass vodka, in little chocolate bottles. I haven't tried it myself, but I guess they wouldn't make it if it didn't sell.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Grasovka is a normal Vodka brand here in Germany (and Austria), and it's the best vodka I ever had. If you ever find it wherever it's offered, do try it; Vodka is never more than "just alcohol" with more or less chance of headaches, and Grasovka offers none of the headache with some of actual flavor. It's great.

That makes sense, the little chocolate bottles with it were imported from Germany. I bought them once and didn't ever get around to trying them, but I might try again. Or I might just send them to my SASS santee.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Someone talking poo poo on cheerwine up in here?

They'd better not be. I just learned Cheerwine Kreme is a thing that exists from Fleta's post a couple of pages back, just in time for my brother to try and find some to bring me when he comes up from NC this weekend. I don't know if it was some limited edition thing? I hope not.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I am idiot and can't read. I went back to check if it was seasonal/limited-edition for you and it was actually a Cheerwine-flavored doughnut, which makes more sense but which I find equally unappealing due to my dislike of doughnuts. I'm sorry!

I keep skipping this thread for a couple of days, but no, they did both. I looked it up after you posted the first time because I remember the donuts and they did that first, and then the soda last year.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Pseudohog posted:

Or bloody seagulls nicking your chips!

I read this as bloody seagulls licking your nips.

That is all.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

twoday posted:

I just made green curry with pumpkin and turkey. It smelled pretty gross. But that's because I added bamboo. Bamboo always smells so gross. Why do I keep eating it?

Are you secretly a panda?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure the topic of canned cheese has come up in this thread before and multiple people extolled the virtues of some canned cheese made at Washington State University. Google tells me it's called Cougar Cheese.

E:fb

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I had a mondo tooth infection and couldn't afford a dentist, so I went to a local feed store and bought penecilin powder for pigs and mixed it with orange soda to make It palatable. It worked and cleared up the infection, but I can never drink orange soda again. That poo poo was VILE.

america.txt

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Elotes are also a thing. A delicious, delicious thing.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I do hate having to scroll down ten screens before I get anything useful out of a recipe. But whatever, I'd rather have that than gif recipes or forced to watch an entire video.

The best blogs include a "jump to recipe" link at the top of the post.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Duke's mayo is the best mayo. They don't add any sugar, so it isnt sweet tasting.

So much this. When I was in Michigan I got my folks to bring some up for me. Now I'm in Illinois but there are a few stores that sell it.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Otana posted:

Pastry. Heaven. NOW!

We can't keep doing this, Daniel.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Not sure if I'd eat that...just kidding, it's pizza. I'll eat it.

You mean peepza?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Dixville posted:

Dukes mayo or gtfo mother fuckers

This. I never realized how spoiled I was growing up in the town Duke's is from until I moved up north.

Not that I'd move back, but still.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Whooping Crabs posted:

Thanks for the lecithin

Meh, I could've done without the mayosplaining.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

The gently caress?! I've only ever seen "The Rose Lady" selling roses so you can vainly attempt to woo someone into boning after last call.

(I'm jealous you got tamales)

Man, if I'm that drunk I'm way more likely to bone someone who buys me a tamale. Or if I'm perfectly sober. Tamales > roses, is what I'm saying.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not surprised, it's just too much, everything just trying to overpower everything else.

What offends me most is that it starts off with what could be decently seasoned/spiced chicken...and then ruins all that with a freakin' cup of over-sugared, store-bought BBQ sauce.

Then later, more (likely) over-sugared store-bought pizza sauce.

I think a "fixed" version of this could be made...less BBQ sauce in the shredded chicken, ideally homemade, and then when it's time to make it into a pizza, keep the southwest theme and use say, enchilada sauce and some other cheese...I guess some sort of jack cheese if you want it to be melty, though maybe throw some queso fresco or queso blanco on there for flavor. And no pepperoni, but maybe replace with a small bit of chorizo?

Queso Chihuahua is a good melting cheese generally sold as quesadilla cheese in the states, I'd use that.

I wouldn't make this because I'm lazy and I like to pretend I like my arteries, but if I did.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Well drat, if this ends up being the tag can we join the mayo crew even if we don't besmirch its good name? Grew up with dukes and I was legit happy when I found it in my normal grocery store where I am now up north, instead of having to go to the fancy store in the burbs.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Getting in on the mayo posting:

Ingredients all laid out. I realize now I didn't include the whiff of cayenne, oh well.

The stand mixer made it braindead to get the emulsion, thankfully. This was the final product of the basic mayo, but I decided to separate it out and try some things.

I was getting the garlic out of the fridge (I know, I know, fresh would be better and it's easy, but for day to day use my husband prefers the preminced stuff) and the liquid smoke caught my eye, so I ended up with regular mayo, smoky mayo, and garlic mayo. The smoky one is interesting, but in the end I don't think it adds a lot. Might feel different when I have it on something instead of just tasting it alone.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

No, it isn't, you just need to add enough acid and water to get it right. Most people who do it at home don't use enough acid (or use lemon juice instead of vinegar), don't add water to balance it, and use olive oil which gives it a green/yellow coloration.

Using canola oil, vinegar, and balancing it properly with water can give you a mayo indistinguishable from store bought but with better flavor.

Honestly I was surprised mine wasn't yellower, since I used lemon juice and no water. I used a tbsp of juice per yolk though, would that do it?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I would eat all of those potato things and die a happy woman.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

My goddamn grandmother made mayonnaise by hand without getting tired and skipping steps.

Yeah, but your grandma also hosed.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Considering everyone has made :mayo: I'm kinda curious what the punishment for not making it would have been.

You wouldn't have delicious mayo, which is a pretty big punishment in and of itself.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

This song is nearly as old as me, what took them?

Had to perfect the technology.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I thought oats were fine for people with coeliac disease?

I think generally they are, but there can be cross contamination in harvesting or processing. Oats also have a similar protein to gluten that can maybe cause similar issues in a small number of celiac patients.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Go to Tortas next time

Or the publican if you have the time. Although I definitely eat at Tortas more when I'm flying out of ORD.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Someone made bread from a video game that is noted in game for being nutritionally complete but of questionable taste. Like soylent, if soylent was bread with ground up fish and vegetables.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I've been watching a lot of these "Victorian Way" cooking videos on youtube lately, that are recreating how things would have been cooked in a Victorian kitchen (well, a lord's kitchen, so with resources and a chef). They're pretty interesting, but I'm pretty sure this one belongs here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsh4kQalS4U

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

shameful. this is missing the humble corn dog, the national dish of the republic of corn.

First one in the third row is pretty corny though.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

looks awesome but noodles on bread is a weird thing.

Just lol if you don't pile carbs on carbs to stave off the encroaching darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

boar guy posted:

it's chlorinated and filtered, like a pool is

And full of pee.