Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

bringmyfishback posted:

It's supposed to be a diet substitute or something, right? A lot of low carb recipe sites use it for things.

Peanut Butter is ultra filling, high in protein and low carb. There's a reason why it's beloved by body builders, hobos and crazy diet people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Captainsalami posted:

As a guy who once ate a whole bag of flamin hot cheetos with sour cream in one sitting, probably would.

Flamin' Hot Cheetos Tostilocos/Walking Tacos are no joke

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Data Graham posted:

I've always wondered about this actually, thanks.

I suppose we called it a Freedom Cake during WWII?

Considering we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" in WWI I would not be shocked.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Chow Fun is delicious but basically impossible to photograph well.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RandomPauI posted:

Okay, I recognize the pink sidewalk chalk, is the yellowish substance stuffing that someone tried to puree?

It's probably grits, the green bits are most likely either jalapeno or green onion, the brown is probably bacon pieces or bacobits. This is basically a very depressing/super poor person/ultra lazy version of ham and grits which is a popular dish in the American south.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Semisponge posted:

Reeses produces enormous eggs of roughly this volume around easter and I always eat at least one or two every year with a deep sense of shameful delight. How can such poo poo quality chocolate be so good. How.

That's half of the package they sell around Valentines day, IIRC it's two half pound Reese cups.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In the UK there even the most basic cheddar is actual cheddar.
as in an actual pure dairy product.

This is true in the US as well. Velveeta is not a cheese it's a cheese convenience product, like dip. Saying "oh you sill Americans why don't you just use real cheese and melt it the right way" about Velveeta is like me saying "Why do you Brits use squash when juice is so easy to make?". It's a thing that makes certain things (mac and cheese, cheese sandwiches etc) easier to make if you're lazy. American Cheese, which people often confuse with Velveeta but is not Velveeta, is like any other cheese, there is bad American cheese (Kraft singles) and there is good American cheese (Boars Head White American). Judging all American cheese by kraft singles is like judging [insert British dietary staple here] by the Tesco value version of it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RandomPauI posted:

The only generic cereal I've ever had problems with has been Cheerios. The generic stuff looks and tastes like they added extra air to make it puffier.

Most generic cereals are made by the Malt O Meal people. Actually, if you've ever eaten cereal in somewhere like a buffet, hospital or hotel you probably also got cereal from MOM Brands because they supply most of the food service industry with generic cereal. Anyways their style of Cheerios is very puffy and crispy, very different from actual cheerios.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Iron Crowned posted:

No lie, I actually like jarred Cheez Whiz. Much better than the spray cans.

Chili cheese Fritos dipped in cheez whiz is basically the guiltiest pleasure imaginable but its soooo gooood.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

GoutPatrol posted:

I have been fed sushi covered in mayo and sprinkles many a time in Asia. Usually the first course in a new year's banquet.

Were they sprinkles or colored sesame seeds? Because when I was in Japan the local convenience store used different colors of sesame seeds to denote the spiciness of the sushi, which I thought was kinda cool.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

I could see this being OK actually. In Mexico they have a thing where you get spicy cheetos, meat, cheese and fixings all mixed together inside the cheeto bag and it's really good.

deadly_pudding posted:

Those cheetos are drenched in Hollandaise sauce, aren't they?

I'm going to go with cheap cheese dip/queso.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

deadly_pudding posted:

Does anybody have a lock on what Italian food was before the tomato? I know the Romans invented broccoli, so that's a thing.

The Romans actually sort of abhorred the concept of varied cuisine. They had a very strong cultural pride in the fact that they ate simple meals with simple ingredients and held up things like the heavily spiced food of other empires as symbols of decadence and inferiority. What this generally meant was that they ate a lot of plain carbs dipped in spiced oil and slathered in the ancient equivalent of ketchup. Basically the ancient empire equivalent of the American midwest, the Romans would have approved of loose meat sandwiches and casseroles.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Aesop Poprock posted:

Those fries look pretty ballin for a school lunch unless it's like a college food court

My girlfriend works in catering and their food service has those exact fries. They call them diner fries or something like that.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

VoidBurger posted:

Found this while looking up something new to make for dinner.

The rest of the user photos are really sad/gross too.

The time Anthony Bourdain and David Choe went to sizzler included a variation of these in the form of a meatball taco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKr3KQVyp8

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

cash crab posted:

Speaking of Ontario/Centre of the Universe, I am drinking craft beers right now! I think Ontario's worst craft ever was a smoked bacon stout.

I know Voodoo Doughnut was mentioned earlier, but they and Rogue make a beer that is loving vile.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

deadly_pudding posted:

Rogue makes a sriracha beer that haunts the craft beer section of the Wegmans I shop at, and I am physically afraid of it. My girlfriend keeps daring me to buy it, and I'm like, "No. That's just about the worst way I can think of to spend $14."

If you want to buy strange expensive bottles of beer from Oregon there are better options. Ninkasi makes a beer from yeast that went to space for instance. Honestly though the Sriracha beer is OK, just not worth the money. It's made with a really small amount of actual Sriracha so in reality its just a very toasty tasting stout with a slight pepper finish. If you've ever had any of those darker saisons made with peppercorns that have been getting popular lately it's pretty similar but honestly there are better options if you want a peppery beer. Goose Island Pepe Nero, Ovila, etc are all pretty easy to get in most places and are leagues better.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Samfucius posted:

Fun fact: dead guy ale is not an ale.

Also the best rogue beer is the hazelnut one. It's actually balanced.

I'll forgive rogue for a lot because it was the first craft beer I ever legally bought, and I was 19 and in Canada on a big boat so the whole thing was memorable.

The town rogue is from is a sad place and the most bizarre choice of location for a Ripley's Believe it or Not I have ever witnessed. It's a slowly dying fishing industry trying to make up the difference with mediocre saltwater taffy.

Their beer is ok but it can't really stack up these days. Oregon is where all the big money in craft beer is flowing these days and the competition is really fierce.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

kith_groupie posted:

Micheladas sound awful, but I also thought I would hate Brass Monkeys, which is Sunny D and cheap lager, but I loved them. I don't know what to think anymore. There's no beer rules anymore.

Nononono, you're making brass monkeys wrong. You specifically need a 40 of OE, you then drink it down to the top of the label and fill it back up with orange juice.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NotAnArtist posted:

I know, right? All that poo poo would be delicious. Ikea never sold me more than those tubes of goo which went on damned near everything

I miss their tubes of caribou, they don't seem to sell those anymore around here.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
They used to use banana esters in the production of packaging which legendarily lead to some brands of early TV dinners tasting like bananas if they were left in the freezer too long. This caused a company to have to sell off all of these chicken dinners to another company who claimed their customers enjoyed the banana taste, which seems questionable at best.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It needs some kind of sauce but it's probably not terrible, it's mostly that the photography is rear end. The tofu looks very nice and crispy, and I've had zucchini chips that were very tasty, IDK about the sad attempt at fennel though. It kind of looks like they wanted to pan sear/fry it and then just got lazy half way through and stopped. Also they did it wrong, pan seared/fried fennel is really good but you're not supposed to peel it apart like that, you're supposed to keep it together so the searing gives it flavor and the layers hold the moisture inside. All in all I think what it's really missing is some kind of creamy dip for the chips, more oil/salt/pepper on the fennel and maybe some kind of spicy sweet glaze or drizzle on the tofu.

Basically what I'm saying is that if they weren't an idiot they could have fixed this depressing shitstack with ten minutes and a wok.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

A roast beef is a huge piece of meat that you cook once and can later serve cold over the course of a few days, like in sandwiches. I don't know how it works in the US but that's how it's served here and when you order a roastbeef sandwich you don't expect a hot sandwich.

A lot of times it's heated up enough to melt the cheese, depending where you are this might involve lightly frying the meat on a flat grill with onions or similar or it might not. In many cases you get a half hot sandwich where it's been heated on a salamander or similar in order to melt the cheese (or the bread and cheese were cooked/toasted/whatever together) and so you'll have roast beef that might be warm on the outside but cool on the inside since it probably was only heated for a couple seconds at best. If you're used to a hot roast beef like a Philly cheesesteak or similar I could see how one made using the above method might be alarming.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

tzorilla posted:

#breakfastinbed #saturday #home

Are these people eastern European? This is a very Warsaw Pact brunch. Groat porridge with some kind of poached egg and then flatbread with cucumbers.

Or well, it seems like a bunch of yuppies trying to ape eastern European peasant food, because it's lacking any kind of yogurt or meat paste and the porridge doesn't look like it's made with buckwheat which is what I associate with that kind of food.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you think Americans who can't cook are depressing the things I saw hanging out with Japanese kids in their early 20's when I was in Japan would make you bleed from your eyes. Did you know in many traditional Japanese circles (or in parts of rural Japan) men aren't allowed to eat many forms of desserts? That's a real thing. But seriously there's a huge problem with Japanese young people not knowing how to cook, it's ultra depressing. Gonna have an entire generation of people with wicked bad hypertension because they can't cook anything that isn't Ramen, curry cubes or frozen TV dinners. A lot of it has to do with ingrained cultural sexism, a lot of the young women I met were like "oh I can't cook, that's what you learn to do when you get a husband and leave all your job prospects behind to raise kids!" and a lot of guys who's opinion was basically "i'm going to live out of the 7-11 until I land me one of them wives that does all the cookin". The one person we met who knew how to cook was a middle aged woman who was a "entertainment promoter" (I, uh, think her actual job was more "strip club" promoter but w/e) who dragged us back to her apartment at like 4AM so she could deep fry octopus.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I used to eat cereal with orange juice a lot because when I was a kid milk would sometimes make me violently ill (this all went away when I was a teen so who knows). Most cereal tastes like poo poo with OJ, but Corn Flakes actually taste better.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Data Graham posted:

Why did you not use the Wolverine claws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFeVlw2Ywg

I understand his sentiment but these are actually really great at shredding meat. The reason people fail when using them is that you really need to do it in a bowl or dish, if you do it on a cutting board the meat slips everywhere.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's not even poverty, living in the country can just do weird poo poo to people. My dad worked data security for one of the world's largest banks and I still remember the time him, the neighbor and one of the local cops decided that the way to deal with a rat den on the abandoned lot at the end of the alley was "explosives and beer".

Would every drat day of my life. Micheladas are the best.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

.Z. posted:

French toast and chocolate whipped cream or something. And the heat of the toast is causing the chocolate stuff to liquify.

Horrifying to look at, but I probably would.

French Toast, Nutella and soft serve chocolate yocream. I guarantee this is the result of a freshman set loose on a college dining hall.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yep. Mouse hors d'oeuvre, molten oil, and the entire fryer. It was a Fry Baby:

so it wasn't too big. To say she was slightly traumatized by the event is probably an understatement.

Anyway, I dug it up and "disposed of it properly" in the Spring. She does not know this.

True story: I knew a girl who's brother used to be very fat and slovenly. He would sit around the house and play WoW for hours in his underwear while eating pizza rolls and mountain dew, complete and total stereotype. Now he's in a much better place and in extremely good shape and the thing that caused his life turn around was one Christmas he received (from three totally different people) three different deep fryers. Two fry baby and one fry daddy. Apparently the tipping point towards fitness was when three different relatives think of you and what immediately comes to mind is "deep fried stuff".

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 06:00 on Aug 27, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Xen Tricks posted:

What is this even? It looks less like a dish and more like wellish plated food trash. It's just a random assortment and the 30 degree FOV isn't doing it any favors

Looks like a Chinese chicken salad. Pretty common American lunch dish, very emblematic of late 80's/early 90's west coast American food.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

EorayMel posted:

Got loving dammit, I just got reminded of when I cracked open a cheap can of Cincinnati Chili, thinking it was meaty and chunky, when in reality it was 99% brown sugar+second hand beef water in the worst way you can imagine.

One of the only foods I truly regret eating :smith:
St. Louis style pizza is to normal pizza what Cincinnati chili is to normal chili. I'm a die hard New York style pizza fan but I can't believe people argue NY vs Chicago when we should really be launching some kind of Jihad/Crusade/Genocide against St. Louis for liking or producing that loving trash. It seriously tastes like you melted american cheese on top of a saltine covered in ketchup, it's god drat foul.

Nuevo posted:

I ate the frozen sliders by the box in college, and then I finally had the real deal, and they're basically indistinguishable.

This is because actual White Castle burgers are basically boiled anyways so the difference between that and microwaving them is negligible.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'm a fruit slice kind of person

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

FetusSlapper posted:

I've had lemon, orange and cherry flavors of slices, what is the light blue? I assume the purple is grape flavor? The chickthulu image is still so so wrong.

Blue is usually raspberry but much like red some brands have it as fruit punch, green is lime or very rarely mint (ala spearmint leaves, another pretty great candy). If you get the old fashioned kind there are a lot more flavors, usually a pink for grapefruit and sometimes a red/green for watermelon but I'm not as big a fan of the old fashioned style unless I'm going to a candy store that's on a pier/boardwalk type of place.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Somfin posted:

How dare they open a cold can when they could be using an inconsistent mixing machine to blend months-old heavy brown industrial glop from a sack with only the cheapest carbonated water, also (inexplicably) from a sack

How very dare they

Not having a soda fountain is a HUGE red flag when it comes to eating anywhere. They are basically free to acquire because soda companies want you to buy syrup from them and sign exclusivity deals and it's generally accepted that most casual dining places will have one. If you're running any kind of place that serves food and you don't have a soda machine it usually means one of two things:

-You lacked the credit or very small amount of money to get one: again, huge red flag for a casual dining place because those kinds of places rarely manage to do more than break even for sometimes several years and if you can't afford a soda machine starting off you're probably hosed, and if you don't have the credit to get one floated to you you definitely don't have the credit to take a loan to keep your place afloat.

-You don't have a floor drain: this is also a red flag because anyone who isn't dumb as gently caress and is opening a casual dining restaurant will get a floor drain installed, in many places this also means you can't get taps put in so goodbye any chance of making money on beer. It also ties into the above, where if you lack the money to get a drain put in, the knowledge to know you need one or the credit to get a loan to get one installed, you probably should have done a lot more research before deciding you could run a business.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

chitoryu12 posted:

I've been to some good restaurants that serve their soda in cans, but they're all in NYC where space is at a premium and some restaurants are so small that they need to pull the table away from the wall to let you sit against it. Island Burgers & Shakes serves it in cans with mason jars to pour into, and they're consistently a good place for a burger in Hell's Kitchen.

I should have said, you can not have a fountain if you're a ultra casual lunch counter type of place. At that point you can save money by not having to gently caress around with cups, bags of syrup, etc and just have a fridge filled with bottles or cans. It's just once you cross into a sort of bar and grill or family dining type place you're going to lose sooooo much money not having a soda fountain. People eat like poo poo and expect their drinks to be refilled, or at least expect the option to be presented to them and if you're dipping into cans every time teenage food dumpster Billy wants his coke refill you're looking at possibly losing money on drinks which is the exact opposite of what you should be doing. In places like NY it's different, many places require (as I mentioned before) that the area with the fountain in it be near a drain and in old cities you can't expect to be able to install one or even have the option to do so (historic registers and such). There's other factors too, if you're a take away place and you're right next to a 7-11 or something you can basically write off having to do drinks because unless you can beat the prices at the convenience store/bodega you're going to lose sales anyways. People do it for aesthetic reasons too, I've been in plenty of Mexican places that only did Jaritos and Mexi-coke and even more dumb white people bullshit places that insist on only having one brand of local bespoke soda and/or bottled cold brew coffee because this is Oregon and that poo poo festers here like a extremely nasty strain of flesh eating bacteria.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

I ate this a lot as a poor 19 year old. It's just chili, mac and cheese and rotel, it's a latchkey kid classic. During the summer I lived in a tent food like this was very pleasant to eat in the cool evening air.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

SA has this weird humbling effect. I can read a post like this and think to myself "I remember living in a trailer in the middle of nowhere, being fed squirrels that I was told were chicken. I remember later in life staring out the window at the desolate Alaskan wastes while I munched on those cardboard-tasting silver dollar pancakes you get in a huge bag for like three bucks. I remember gagging on Aunt Felicity's Calico Hair Casserole every Thanksgiving. I remember eating a hamburger with chocolate and peanut butter cooked into it. Yet despite all the miserable food experiences I've had, I've never lived in a tent and eaten garbage, and for that, I am thankful"

I mean, I got kicked out of my house and so instead of couch surfing I found friends that would let me squat in their backyard for several months until my student loans kicked it. It was actually super refreshing to pair all my belongings down to basically nothing and live really simple for a while. So not really hardship just whitepeople.png

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Pizza melts are a real thing, I mean, it's usually a thing you get on a dingy east coast boardwalk after playing drunken minigolf on top of a dollar store and perusing a comic book/magic the gathering store's stock that hasn't been rotated since 1999 but is priced like it's 2035.

It's not even the worst kind of boardwalk food. One time in the early 00's on the New Hampshire boardwalk I go what was termed an "extreme pizza twist" which was a cooked pepperoni pizza that had been rolled, battered and deep fried. My entire life has been a perpetual quest to find any food that tasted that good again.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
That's an old USMC thing. One packet of ramen, one egg, tabasco sauce and a slice of american cheese melted on top.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

drrockso20 posted:

You gotta love how prison food and military food intersect like that, know of any other similar things?(one of my best friends was in the Marines, I should ask him about this sort of thing)

I've just had several friends who were in the Marines and they all mentioned this food combo at one time or another. I think it's because it's basically a combo of the cheapest and highest protein foods you can buy in Okinawa.

I think some crossover is because, at the core, a lot of Marines and Prisoners have similar goals: they are super broke (because soldiers are bad with money and because prisoners often have none) and want food that's cheap, filling and contains as much protein as they can scrape together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I have made it through many poor parts of my life with the winning combination of Parmesan cheese, elbow macaroni and maggi seasoning. My former roomie used to call them "tan noodles" which is an apt description.