Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

I can accept that someone might have combined various bits of knowledge on how to make coffee into a haphazard attempt but this doesn't even make internal sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

I could put this away after a morning clearing up from a heavy snow storm. Several hours of clearing still-falling snow and finally unblocking the driveway only to have that bastard in the plow fill it back in, you work up an appetite. Used to go to a horrible local greasy spoon that's been there for a hundred years, but I moved far enough away from there for it to be too much hassle.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I think the taco soup dip thing looks fine, but there's too much video in that video.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Demeter does make very nice one-note scents, I have a couple: Grass, Gingerale, Brownie, and Riding Crop. Gingerale in particular is kind of nice for summer. I think there's a Petrichor scent which would be lovely, but I can't remember if it's its own thing or a subnote in Rain or Thunder.

eta: I forgot, I also have Woodsmoke, which is to be avoided at all costs.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Marmite is delicious. :colbert:

On the french toast chat, a local diner makes their tuna melts with french toast as the bread. It's not bad, but it is confusing.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh, stock flavored with hay, my favourite!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If you can eat Bugles without pretending to be an evil witch I'm not sure you even really count as human.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

This is like, pesto white beans and mushrooms with nutritional yeasts, but it has the energy of a web pop-up claiming to be the next superfood that will cleanse your colon and do your taxes.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

https://twitter.com/TheAndrewNadeau/status/1281363396496105473

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I won't stand for people talking poo poo about Mrs. Crocombe.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
They're also among the worst possible things to throw up.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Sex Hobbit posted:

Unless this is something besides a somewhat unattractively-presented raspberry cheesecake, WOULD.

It's apparently a raspberry cheesecake made by a 13 year old, which, hey not bad.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

ZombieCrew posted:

I always feel sad when i see this trash panda. I know he shouldnt be eating cotton candy.

The water knows as well. Not for you, klein Waschbaer.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm not going to test the theory but I could see the tuna hotdog tasting ok, when put together in my mind.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

TheAardvark posted:

Heinz chili sauce is an enigma to me. I know it exists but I don't have any idea what it tastes like, nor what possible situations it should be used in.

We have a bottle, it gets used once a year for New Year's when we make Tourtière. It's very good on that and specifically only that, I've never felt the need to use it on anything else. Eggs, maybe, if you were out of other hot sauces?

It is not the world's most appealing dish, it's herbed meat pie, but made as an actual pie:

It's very good. We put a lot of parsley stems for the flavor.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Brawnfire posted:

Who are these psychos that cook lettuce

gently caress

In the kitchen I'm currently working in, the head cook is an older British lady, and invariably the solution to a vegetable being on the turn is to boil it and freeze for later use. It's a charity kitchen and so it's important to make as much use of food as possible.

I've never actually seen what happens to the boiled, frozen lettuce mush and I've worked there for about 6 months now. I'm guessing the answer is soup, somehow, but we can't serve soup at the moment because of COVID (bagged lunches) so maybe it will reveal itself in a year or so.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Google brings up recipes for icicle and iceberg pickles and they all sound awful and take multiple days to make with numerous boilings and strainings and food coloring and 1/2 cup of sugar per cucumber.

quote:

Ingredients:
15 medium pickling cucumbers

Syrup:

7 C sugar
1 qt white vinegar
3 T salt
2 T mixed pickling spice
2 t celery seed

Directions:
For 4 days pour boiling water over whole cucumbers.

On 5th day slice and pour boiling syrup over. For the next 4 days, drain off the syrup, boil and pour over the pickles.

On the 10th day, pour off the syrup. Put the pickle slices or spears into sterilized jars. Boil the syrup and pour into the jars of pickles. The hot syrup should create enough of a vacuum to seal the jars. If not, process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Why?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
This isn't a recipe it's a cult

quote:

Ingredients
Original recipe yields 128 servings

Ingredient Checklist

10 pounds cucumbers with peel - ends trimmed, halved, seeded, and cut into chunks

2 cups pickling salt

16 cups water

16 cups water

1 ½ teaspoons alum

16 cups water

16 cups water

12 cups white sugar

2 tablespoons pickling spice

6 cups white vinegar

1 tablespoon green food coloring

16 cups water

8 eaches 1-quart canning jars with lids and rings

Directions:

Step 1
Day 1: Place the cucumbers into a large (10-quart) jar or pickle crock. Stir the pickling salt and 16 cups of water (or as needed to cover the cucumbers) into a large pot, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the salt is dissolved. Pour the boiling salt mixture over the cucumbers, and cover the crock with a cover or dinner plate.

Step 2
Days 2 and 3: Stir the pickles and brine once each day. Cover the crock each time.

Step 3
Day 4: Pour off the brine. Bring 16 more cups of water to a boil, and pour the boiling water over the pickles. Cover.

Step 4
Day 5: Pour off the water from the pickles again, and bring alum and 16 cups of water to a boil. Stir until the alum is completely dissolved. Pour the boiling water-alum mixture over the pickles. Cover.

Step 5
Day 6: In a large pot, boil 16 more cups of water with the sugar, pickling spice, vinegar, and food coloring. Pour the water-alum mixture from the pickles and discard, and pour the boiling sugar mixture over the pickles. Cover.

Step 6
Day 7: Pour off the syrup from the pickles, but retain the syrup. Transfer the syrup into a large pot, bring to a boil again, and pour over the pickles. Cover.

Step 7
Day 8: Pour off and retain the syrup again, and transfer into a large pot. Reboil the syrup over medium heat. Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the pickles into the hot, sterilized jars, and pour the boiling syrup in, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.

Step 8
Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then carefully lower the jars into the pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary until the water level is at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a full boil, cover the pot, and process for 15 minutes.

Step 9
Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The current banana cultivar clone is threatened and we're just going to have to learn to accept a new flavour of banana in our lifetimes, start dealing with it now.

I mean, assuming we make it out of 2020.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Blair's used to make a really good spicy chip, I think it was the habanero I liked.

https://www.chipsandcrisps.com/blairs-death-rain.html

Don't seem to make them anymore, despite hot chip being a big market now.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Not nearly enough butter on that corn :chloe:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Corned teeth :yum:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Taco Bell is making wine now, in Canada.

Japapeño Noir :holymoley:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

WITCHCRAFT posted:

They have a bizarre texture compared to a plain ol' noodle. Pleasantly springy gel kind of thing. I like it

Could weird someone out if they took a bite expecting Just An Noodle

I mean you could just eat sweet potato noodles if you want that, the kind they use to make japchae

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

LifeSunDeath posted:

these showed up in my freezer and I'm scared

"see nutritional information for sodium content"

well where else would I look, box?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I would do violence to the copywriter for that package

snackertizermeal my sweet aunt fanny

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Licorice root can gently caress with your blood pressure in ways that I don't care to look up or understand, so be careful of that to the one person reading this in pre-hypertension, a penchant for root beer, and Australia.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Real maple syrup, like first boil, is a whole other creature than what I guess most Americans (Vermont excepted) tend to think of as maple syrup. Going by the sprinkles and styrofoam plate I'm guessing that's Aunt Jemima or whatever which is just brown HFCS.

It's got mineral qualities, some sweetness, some smokiness. It'd go fine on eggs (not those eggs)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

OwlFancier posted:

I would never have thought to describe canned tuna as "tasteless"

Or to recommend canned salmon over it, sardines or sprats maybe but not salmon. Canned salmon is pretty unpleasant in my experience.

I liked a few years back when they came out with canned salmon - now with no skin!

Thanks, canneries!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

I'd eat it but I'd be mad about it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

TheAardvark posted:

what is this

According to pizza place guidelines, that is a salad.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
For a long time Canadians wondered why poutine never caught on in the states and now, as an older and wiser person, I understand better now than I did before.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The best curry chips I ever had were from a chip truck in Ireland in County Donegal, in Glencolumbkille. There's a fantastic hostel there and the insane woman who runs it would send random guests down to the village to buy her Benson and Hedges ("Fences and Ledges") cigarettes which she'd proceed to rip the filter off of and smoke. I think she died a while back.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Please don't post pictures of ribkid, who grew up to be a murderer.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh no, not pancakes

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh yeah, celery was once a hot ticket item. I know it's reddit and all but there's a very good subreddit for vintage menus and celery appears a lot in the appetizers section. Just celery, not with a dip or anything. It's often as expensive as an actual good appetizer would be.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VintageMenus/ is a fun little stroll through the "what the hell?" years of cuisine.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Bitter is a good and useful flavor though?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Didn't LA Beast develop severe mental issues? I kind of don't want to engage with his Brand if it's hurting him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Facebook Aunt posted:

It is probably hurting him, but what's the alternative? Does he have some other way to make a living?

I mean I imagine he has choices between eating a cactus and literally everything that's not eating a cactus.