Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Is that hamburger sushi? Why on earth would anyone want that over normal sushi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Because another law references how you need to cover your buttocks, and they needed to legally define buttocks.

They went for the longest and most obtusely precise definition possible.

I wonder if that affects medical education at all. If states can define different body parts differently, are doctors in those states trained to recognize body parts differently than those in other states?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zakrelo posted:

Wait long enough and the victim will just die on their own. The perfect crime.

The best part? You can even take out a life insurance policy on them and the insurance company will pay it! It's pure profit!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Added Space posted:

Ok, the sequence of events is two gunshots, body crashing into the water, Edgeworth picks up the gun and minutes later is taken in by the police.

Since we know that the second person was the shooter, it stands to reason that person ditched the gun and jumped out of the boat. The two gunshots were almost certainly to draw attention; and the only person who would be there to witness on a winter midnight is Lotta herself. The shooter may have checked on her shortly before the boat was taken out.

We know the gun was shot three times and is the murder weapon, and that it couldn't have been shot afterward, it stands to reason the victim was already shot dead earlier and that the second person on the boat was someone else, very probably the actual murderer.

Remember that Lotta said the lake was smooth as glass. It's unlikely that someone jumped in the water.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Von Karma: "Yes, I shot him"
Judge: "Alright. Court is Adjourned"

So, are we sending Von Karma to jail, or what?

Von Karma (and all other real culprits) still has the right to his own trial. This trial is for Edgeworth. Typically, the game doesn't cover the secondary trials of the real culprits.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

It would appear the Defendant's stand and the Witness stand have the same graphic. This makes it look like Lana and Marshall are somehow standing in the same location, and talking to each other. Has this happend before, or is this the first time a witness has talked to the defendant like this? (barring that time when Phoenix was the defendant.)

There's a pretty good comic that explains exactly how it works:

Warning: very minor spoilers of character art for a game way in the future.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Did...he just get struck by lightning indoors? :stonk:

"And if I am lying, then may God strike me down where I..."

Though in all seriousness I think that's his lightning bolt hair standing up? It's kinda hard to tell.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

: What do you mean!?
: This trial's purpose is to determine Lana Skye's guilt!

: No it isn't, Your Honor.
: This trial's purpose is to determine the truth.

This is really important to note, by the way. Edgeworth is now treating prosecution as less of a battle of wits between defense and prosecution, and more of a collaborative effort to find the truth. To be fair, his rear end is on the line in this case, as not only have Wright and Edgeworth accused the Chief of Police of murder, but if Gant has his way, Edgeworth will be under suspicion of having purposefully manipulated evidence to convict innocents. It's a neat moment of character development, going from Von Karma's understudy who pursues victory at all costs to someone unafraid to fight for the truth instead of blindly trying to win. The question does remain as to whether this is a sincere conviction or something born of desperation at the situation that he has found himself in.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If Ema wasn't responsible and had nothing to do with your actions, then why did you alter the crime scene? :psyduck:

We have a confession, why would we need a motive or to possibly consider the fact that the Chief of Police publicly threatened her before her testimony? :downs:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

We're Lana's defense lawyer. You want her to be found innocent. It's Phoenix's job.

Yes. I was speaking from the point of view of the Judge/legal system.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

kw0134 posted:

Ironically the whole "you don't get to testify" didn't matter because he went and slit his own goddamn throat when he should have, by all rights, been told to sit his rear end down.

He never made a formal statement that we could cross-examine.

That does bring up an excellent point as to why we could accept his statements on the cloth if he were no longer allowed to testify formally, but I guess the idea is that the Chief of Police formally approved the evidence and its circumstances regardless of whether he did it through testimony or just in front of the judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Grant still tries to pin Goodman's murder on Lana out of spite now that he's been caught for murduring Neil

At this point, there's enough circumstantial evidence that not only is she vanishingly unlikely to have murdered him (the whole "she was pulling the body out of the trunk" thing), but that even if she were to have murdered him, it would have been because she was blackmailed by the Chief, and ultimate responsibility would be on his part, not hers.

• Locked thread