Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

I love that he's basically reduced to demanding why a clock might be set to the wrong time. Clocks can be set to whatever time you want, man.

It's especially bullshit because that's evidence. He's either accusing the police or himself of manipulating it, since from his testimony nobody entered the apartment after the murder.

"Oh no the evil lawyer infiltrated the police department Metal Gear style and changed the clock's settings"

Omobono fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

theshim posted:

Ah, the first of many, many wonderful breakdowns. :allears:

And they never, ever, get old. There are obviously better and worse ones, but even the absolute worst one is a simply magical moment.

:feelsgood: is what I'm saying.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

WFGuy posted:

Ohhh, it was the victim's passport. I thought it was Larry's, that she was using it to keep track of his time to speak to him.

Yeah, that's a nice first case. And an innocent verdict, finding the killer, having a toupee thrown at you, and seeing the killer froth at the mouth like he just took TV cyanide - if that's where the escalation starts, then I'm definitely eager for more. Just how deep is this rabbit hole?

:getin:
We have such sights to show you. We're still missing the best characters too (every character is best character)(ok, maybe not the culprits)(every recurring character is best character)

E: list of best characters so far, in no particular order
Nick
Mia
The Judge
Larry
Payne

Omobono fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 16, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zero Suit Ridley posted:

Gumshoe is the best character, pal. The best, see?

Not emptyquoting, pal.

For the record, we have a police detective called Dick Gumshoe. I love the localization, even when they go full Japanifornia. gently caress, especially when they go full Japanifornia.

Small example: Maya didn't ask for burgers, I believe she asked for Ramen.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Edgeworth is great. Just look at that dismissive headshake, it's so drat condescending.

There are certain animations that beat Edgeworth in my opinion (I'm thinking about one from the 2-4 culprit and one from the Investigations 2 - 5 culprit) but if you consider the full suite Edge beats everyone hands down. He's just so expressive.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

We're still in easy mode right now.

Georgia has a law against running to the circus or is "apprentice" meant to mean, "give your son as an apprentice" and not "take as an apprentice"?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

Well I mean when you're bearing false witness in Japanifornia, you kind of expect it to go easily.

What with, you know, the prosecutor spotting every contradiction in your big whooper beforehand and improving your lies for you the day before court.*

And "please demonstrate that the evidence wasn't tampered with while in police custody" is still a bit too much on the nose.

*I don't think it's ever stated outright but it's heavily implied

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

You know, I was originally half joking when I said Japanifornian law is based entirely on soap-opera rules.

I am no longer joking and I am instead very excited.

Glad to have you on board.
Perry Mason shenanigans are nothing compared to Japanifornian shenanigans.

Although I would pay good money for Attorneyvela.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Suspicious Cook posted:

It is when the defense has to prove it. :v:

Unless the dude Phoenix accuses nonchalantly mentions it, in which case it goes back to being worthless again. (I can't recall this scenario happening, but you know it'd work like that)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Basically, this is allegedly an inquisitorial system where the prosecution is allowed to play it up like the worst parody of an adversarial one. Which makes sense, since this is a parody of Japan's hosed up tribunals.

By the way, I recall someone in the last LP thread mentioning a story about how the Japanese police didn't make a serial killer stand trial for quite a while because while they had overwhelming proof, the dude simply wouldn't confess and they feared that without a confession he'd get declared not guilty at trial. Am I misremembering and/or anyone still has the links to the story?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

RedMagus posted:

even poor Winston who's main trait is "weenie cardboard tutorial enemy".

His personality is, "Prosecutor who will play mostly fair"; although, this is still Japanifornia, so only mostly fair.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Xander77 posted:

Are those two like... correct?

A broketen clock is still correcterous twice a day and all that crap.

In alternative, the stupid words are an affectation to pass for an idiot and those questions put him too much on the spot to think of an appropriate Frankenstein-word.

E: actually, now that I think about it would be interesting to see if his stupendiferous vocabulary slides down from the start of the trial to the breakdown.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

She's like a trainwreck: fascinating, if you're not on the path of the incoming train.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

Gumshoe with the hero save.

Great job, pal. :allears:

*removed* and apologies

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The best part of Vasquez's goons is that they're literally part of the scenery. Given that they have no lines, I'm inclined to believe that she just put up a movie studio prop while Phoenix and Maya weren't looking and tried to threaten them with it.

Isn't the judge always the same because the original GBA game had no more space on the cart to fit more sprites in? (and now we wouldn't want it any other way)
I guess an additional background occupies less space than 4 one-shot sprites.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 22, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

Yeah, what kind of powers does Phoenix actually have as far as getting testimony out of people?

On a scale 1 to 10, it scores somewhere between negative and imaginary.
Or in other words: "gently caress the defense" - Japanifornia's law system

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

I mean, it's clear what Edgeworth is doing. Miles isn't defending the innocent; he has the guilty right in front of him and he can tell it's her. So he's going after her.

Except it's not the way things are done in Japanifornia.
Last case, anyone with half a brain could tell Redd White was the culprit two sentences in his testimony. And yet Edgeworth saved the rear end in a top hat before the Mia ex machina.

Once you drag a person into a trial, the Japanifornian prosecutor's duty is to grab, forge, cajole and fix a guilty verdict, come hell or high water. The mere factual innocence of the accused does not matter at that point.

E: I mean, it is already a demonstrated fact that Powers could not have murdered Hammer, because we have photographic evidence of the victim going to studio 2 just before the monkey head fell, with Powers on the wrong side of the head. And yet if we can't prove Vasquez did it Powers is going to swing.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 29, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

One thing I thought reading the case again:
I get the feeling Oldbag realized what transpired when we showed her proof that Hammer had drugged WP.

What charges is Dee going to get now (ignoring for a moment the hosed up Japanifornian legal system)? This is at most manslaughter, there's enough evidence that Hammer was out for her blood, so what's next? I guess perjury and tampering with evidence.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gumshoe is like a lost puppy here. You can basically see his spirit rising when he spots Nick, thinking Edgeworth has now a lawyer.

Night10194 posted:

That shot of Edgeworth with the gun in his hand is the most soap opera image this game has put out yet. :allears:

Murder was in the night between Christmas Eve and Christmas. That's like double soap opera.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Falconer posted:

So the person firing the gun is holding it with their left hand, but the picture of Edgeworth with the gun shows him holding it with his right hand. Is Edgey ambidextrous?

It's not like the cops have access to the 4th wall video of the murder. It would have simplified poo poo massively.

Why is "to effect marriage" included in that New Orleans law? I do like the final phrase though. "Yes, this law technically outlaws doctors and churches, have a cookie and gently caress off"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Everyone is going to have conniptions with Lotta on the stand. That's just an average tuesday, there's an average of one conniption-inducing witness per case.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Funky Valentine posted:

Everyone, please read Manfred in the most stereotypical "angry German asshat" voice you can think of.

Also, Gregory Edgeworth is basically Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch.

Angry? I hear his voice as the most stereotypical ":smuggo: German asshat".
(To-may-to to-mah-to admittedly)

Night10194 posted:

Do you think, as well as teaching him that only the verdict matters and the system is obviously blindly correct, Von Karma also led Edgeworth down the dark path of cravats?

Look at Edgeworth, now back to von Karma, now back to Edgeworth, now back to von Karma.

Of loving course he taught him the Sith ways of the cravat.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is my fanfic please rate and review.

To be fair, apart from Paine going super lawyer 2 that's pretty much how I picture the 5, maybe 10 years of von Karma's career before this particular trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Elric posted:

How the gently caress is telling the judge what to do not contempt of court?

Stephen9001 posted:

Because the Judge is too scared to realise he could do that to the prosecution.

Because it's not contempt in Japanifornia. If the prosecutor does it of course.
Could be worse. [snip]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread