Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malah
May 18, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Obviously the killer was Gourdy and the third day of the trial will be Phoenix cross-examining a lake monster.
I would pay cash money to read that fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malah
May 18, 2015

Of all the many questions I have about this case, can anyone explain what the hell is up with Lotta's hair?

Malah
May 18, 2015

... Is this making a particular point about expert testimony or did someone at the studio have an ex-girlfriend named Misty?

Malah
May 18, 2015

The most I knew about Phoenix Wright before this thread is that he objects a lot and cravats = total prick. I now say:

HOLY poo poo. :allears:

C. Everett Koop posted:

That bird is guilty as a motherfucker and now that we've got it on the stand were gonna get a confession out of it and turn it into a crispy eight-piece.
KFC Christmas Special right there.

Malah fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 9, 2016

Malah
May 18, 2015

Edgeworth, this isn't the time to fall on your sword, you ungrateful shitba- Wait, did Phoenix not even bother telling him that von Karma set this up? Screw it, they deserve to squirm.

Actually, I want to see Edgeworth :smuggo: skewer von Karma from the stand. That would be anime enough to go out on here.

Malah fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 12, 2016

Malah
May 18, 2015

That's von Karma's backup plan if this trial went south.

C. Everett Koop posted:

ARREST THE loving :parrot: ALREADY GUMSHOE YOU KNOW IT'S GUILTY AS gently caress
OH poo poo THE :parrot: IS GETTING AWAY

Malah
May 18, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

: Though it's unconventional for me, I'd like to run this one by the book.
I'm pretty sure subtlety goes out the window when admitting to a career foul play in front of a judge in open court.

Credit where it's due, though, von Karma plays the long game: he (probably) shot Edgeworth Sr., corrupted his son as a prosecutor, set up Yogi to frame Edgeworth for murder fifteen years later, and then still kept this backup plan on hand by programming Edgeworth well enough that he'd fall on his sword when the time came. And over a single penalty? That's commitment to pettiness, there.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I remember seeing those all the time a while back and I love that I'm now going to actually understand the context. :allears:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I mean, he's been a prosecutor for 40 years without one defendant found innocent. I'm pretty sure most everyone realizes he's at least somewhat crooked but too afraid to outright say it.

Of course people who have worked around him know that something's up, but he's at least bothered to maintain a veneer of legitimacy so far. I think he got a bit excited in this case, and it's why Uncle Phil turned on him a bit after a while, but he can't get away with that for 40 years without knowing how to cover his rear end on the back-end operations.

Night10194 posted:

The interesting thing here is that Edgeworth being willing to confess his 'crime' means his sense of justice is very much intact and he makes no bones about not exempting himself.

I think that's the key part of why it actually worked: von Karma turned Edgeworth to the dark arts of prosecution and kravat while winding him up, but he left Edgeworth with a soul to come back for later. I doubt von Karma expected much resistance in court with his reputation and Edgeworth's guilt weighing him down, and the trial so far has only eroded Edgeworth's resolve even further. Yogi knew exactly what he was doing when he got up on the stand and gave his last testimony - that was addressed at Edgeworth more-so than the judge. If anything, von Karma was wondering why the hell Edgeworth was taking so long to say something at the end.

von Karma's gimmick annoyed me a bit at first, but my approval deepens with each layer of planning that went into this charade. It's obviously going to blow up in his face, but still.

Malah fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 14, 2016

Malah
May 18, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

...Wait... poo poo!
GONNA FRY WITH THE :parrot: FUCKER

Malah
May 18, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

Prosecuting people is serious goddamn business in Japanifornia.
Which is why the dress code for Japanifornian court seems to be "circus routine," right?

Malah
May 18, 2015

^ Pretty much sums up my sentiments on these characters so far.

So far I hate everyone who set such high expectations for this case. Oldbag and Hart might have pushed their stereotypes a bit, but they have nothing on how annoying Marshall is. Angel only gets a pass because of the sheer "LOL JAPANIFORNIA" of her shtick, but I don't feel like it's going to be charming for much longer. However, she does seem like the most likely candidate for the primary obstacle in the first trial phase.

I'm holding out for the trial phases to redeem this case, because so far Budget Mia and Maya are the only two that don't grate my nerves with every other sentence. The saving grace for this case would be if it continues ramping up the intensity as each one has so far. Even 1-4 took an update or two to really get into the rhythm of things, but then von Karma immediately turned up the pressure. Yeah, Lana's summary is damning as hell, but every defendant so far has actively torpedoed their defense by being too much of a dumbass or too secretive to tell Phoenix what actually went down. Of course Lana didn't do this, but she was probably involved in some shady poo poo that she's trying to hide by going down for this, which Phoenix will accidentally expose and figure out anyway as the "AHA" moment. I mean, really, she's von Karma's boss, and each case so far has borrowed or referenced an aspect of the previous one. Alternatively, she's either trying to protect her rear end in a top hat subordinate, or they're blackmailing her over aforementioned shady poo poo. [Speculation]

Naturally, that kind of logic is only around 1-3 level of crazy, and this case's shenanigans will probably go at least five layers deeper. I'm going into the rest of this franchise knowing absolutely nothing specific, but I've heard that each case goes off the rails progressively faster.

SHOULD HAVE GONE AFTER THE loving :parrot:, LANA, THIS IS KARMA COMING FOR YOUR rear end

On another note, is Edgeworth the prosecutor we're up against here? I'd think that von Karma is in a prison or grave, but Edgeworth's status is up in the air, and this case seems to be substituting our typical secondary cast for Bizarro versions. If Edgeworth is on vacation or something, then Budget Bizarro Edgeworth will obviously be von Karma's other student avenging his master's downfall or whatever, because let's go full ANIME. It's actually a pity that Lana is the client instead of prosecutor: it would be interesting to see Phoenix have to go up against someone who knows the same tricks that he does, particularly if it's a woman acting as Mia's foil.

Holy poo poo that trial would go off the rails so fast. Maya comes back from the mountains or whatever and channels Mia and I think I need to write this fanfiction now

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Eat your hamburgers, Phoenix.

Jabor posted:

So why does she have burgers on her hat anyway?
It really does seem like this would have been a simple thing to fix in localization, but perhaps the American localization team started running with the gag by the time this case was chronologically released? I feel like it was approximately dated earlier in the thread, but just by eyeballing the differences in tech and narrative, I'd guess it's at least two games ahead of the rest of AA1. The original was, what, GBA? Or the square one? This case is definitely more rooted in 3DS dual-screens.

Or maybe I'm delirious from exhaustion and shouldn't be trying to process Phoenix Wright at 6 AM. :v:

Malah fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 30, 2016

Malah
May 18, 2015

Everything about that scene was so great that I can't really fault Meekins for being completely overshadowed by pretty much every other detail. "Overdesigned" sums him up rather well, which wouldn't really bother me if the preceding characters in the series hadn't mostly dodged that pitfall rather seamlessly; even Constable Shalashaska has a point to make with his gimmick.

This frame gives me many feelings.

I have never been more conflicted between wanting to punch or applaud someone based solely on an expression. Edgeworth is the :smuggo:est :smuggo: that has ever :smuggo:ed or ever will. Everyone can go home; the award's retired (and hopefully less hideous than this one).

Mors Rattus posted:

: I lost a day of work to receive that travesty.
:allears:

But, really, OF loving COURSE it was Edgeworth's car. (Of course he drives a red sports car. I don't know what else I could have ever imagined him driving, and I never will.) Poor guy absolutely cannot catch a break. It's nice to get a glimpse into what his personality is outside the courtroom and his role as an adversary, particularly if it means he has an actual sense of humor now. And he's sassy? If this is what post-acquittal Edgeworth is like then he's never, ever allowed to go away. I don't care if I've seen box art with what probably includes other prosecutors, Edgeworth is our's forever. Let's repay him by destroying that precious conviction record that he loves so much! :j:

Speaking of which, did the disparity between Officer Ocelot chasing us away from Edgeworth's car while Edgeworth himself gives us free evidence and directions for where to find more throw anyone else for a moment?

(He's driving that sports car off a bridge now that I've said that, isn't he)

HenryEx posted:

Now that the cat's outta the bag in regards to the car, i can post this, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExLEmVQSGLM
drifting off a bridge, excuse me

Malah fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 4, 2016

Malah
May 18, 2015

I really hope to eventually find out what Angel Starr's deal is. How the hell does a detective get titled the "Cough Up Queen?" Undercover hooker seems a bit too obvious.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I've had enough wine to try braving some more of RFTA - full disclosure, I intently disliked the first half of this case due to a combination of its pointless convolution (yes, even for Phoenix Wright) and the character's gimmicks. Lana's mysteriousness wasn't paying off, Angel Starr overstayed her gimmick, and Marshall failed to really do anything for me. The vaguely shady bullshit going on was leading me more towards expecting a disappointing conclusion of some kind. Meekins getting more screen time only soured it further for me.

Trial Day 3, Part 2 was a prompt u-turn back into interesting and made this case one of the sharpest examples of "gets worse before it gets better" I've come across, considering that it's since redeemed itself in every aspect I previously despised. I actually give a drat about the cast, which went a long way towards making their gimmicks endearing or at least tolerable. Marshall was entertaining instead of bland once he got back on the stand, Lana got some overdue character development, and even Meekins was worth putting up with - though it probably helped that I didn't have to actually hear that loving megaphone. Ema went from "substitute off-brand Mia" (still charming) to someone I'm paying rather close attention to. Edgeworth's amazing as always, and the Gant/Lana/Edgeworth melodrama is lowkey hilarious, at least to my hosed up sense of humor. The only ball the writers have since badly dropped is with the details behind Joe Darke's kills - the last "murder" is going to blow up spectacularly, but the bunny-hopping murder spree is just disappointingly weak. Can't always get everything right, but still.

I can't expect Gant to live up to von Karma's meltdown, though I'm at least anticipating a far more satisfying conclusion to this than I was at the start. Lana is going down regardless of how this turns out, but Gant's going down with her, and he has further to fall than she does. I'm now hanging on every word of the updates and glad I gave this case another chance.

Edgeworth pulling Ema up on the stand has me uneasy more than anything else, since poo poo is obviously about to go down. Speculation: There isn't really anywhere else for this to go than that Darke, murderous creeper that he is, didn't kill Neil Marshall. I don't know if Gant was directly responsible for that death, but he's going to pull a page from von Karma's book and try to scapegoat Ema for Neil Marshall's murder as a smokescreen for the obvious tampering that went on with SL-9, which will obviously involve more tampering. Gant will have to play one hell of a trump card to even temporarily derail the court proceedings - Edgeworth is 100% done with his poo poo, so Gant's focus will probably shift to screwing with Uncle Phil, pressuring him into overriding Edgeworth, or even managing to pull him into Gant's corner entirely. As long as Gant manages to deflect attention from himself long enough to successfully throw Lana under the bus, he can deal with Edgeworth later.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Edgeworth may not be underhanded like Von Karma, but he can still use his tactics.
I like the twist on that dynamic: Edgeworth, rather than Phoenix, now has to outmaneuver the crooked authority that's stacking the deck. That can't last, whether due to Gant or Uncle Phil's interference, but it'll be interesting to see how Edgeworth manages to give Phoenix enough of a lifeline to overcome whatever is about to blow this case to hell.

paragon1 posted:

I get why people like Edgeworth now. :allears:
I've liked Edgeworth since the moment he appeared, and he's only getting better with more screen time.

Malah fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 21, 2017

Malah
May 18, 2015

Issues like these are why, though I'm very much enjoying reading it in LP form, playing these games would piss me off. I have minimal patience for being punished when developers don't account for alternative solutions: clarify the "correct" choice and/or prune the alts.

Night10194 posted:

Edgeworth is the best character in a series full of fantastic characters.

It isn't that the others are bad, it's that Edgy is so good. He's had a coherent character arc leading to satisfying development that's stuck and made him a great member of the cast.
I feel like there's also consistency with Edgeworth's writing that the other characters don't always get - it isn't always stellar, but it's almost always at least good enough.

This update, for instance: I don't expect to be able to differentiate between when Edgeworth holds back or gets screwed over by this bullshit until after this case is over and reread once or twice.

paragon1 posted:

She was the ghost writer, you could say.
:chloe: why

e:

Mors Rattus posted:

: Order! Order!
: Who'd have thought the picture would have been drawn on the back of the list...
: That was handed to Detective Goodman in the questioning room?
Error or context that I've missed?

Malah fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malah
May 18, 2015

Glazius posted:

I mean... it's possible Marshall had been stabbed previously, and he was chasing Darke on adrenaline and just collapsed without being seriously wounded. Doesn't explain why they did what they did, unless maybe the previous stab came somewhere nobody could see.
I don't know if I've said it yet, but the security at this police department is seriously lacking.

Even more so when people apparently keep getting murdered. Why does anyone still work there?

Mors Rattus posted:

Not an error, just vaguely inexplicable. It just happens.
I've come to expect it by now, but I'd prefer to check because my head always tilts when I reach those moments. Thanks for clarifying!

Malah fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 24, 2017

• Locked thread