Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

criscodisco posted:

Was my cable company's feed off or did Derrick not know the lyrics to the song? It looked like he was mouthing "rhubarb" the whole time.

As far as I could tell Derrick was definitely saying all the words.

Also that was actually a really good performance by Derrick, those pop star moves mean he can really turn it out.

Really looking forward to next week's election commercial challenge, the queens pair up to attack each other and I have high expectations after S5's perfume commercial challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Is it me or have the runways been really weak overall this season?

To back you up on both points: The stupidity of GlueGunGate was underscored when Michelle mentioned that DeLa was a hot glue gunner and they showed her in that amazing Golden Girls dress. It looked better than anything that was on this episode's runway, save Kim Chi's look (natch).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Marc Jacobs is definitely on my list of guest judges who need to stick around longer, along with Leah Remini (to annoy Michelle), Chris Stein, Gillian Jacobs (gave great critiques) and Dita Von Teese (just because).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It's never been mentioned or talked about officially. People have just come to the logical conclusion that Ru will allow only one drag queen on the panel at a time.

If a drag queen judges, it would also basically ban them from actually being on the show as a contestant, and I think they want to always keep their potential selection pool as broad as possible. Only so many really good queens with the broad range of skills Drag Race requires.

Lady Bunny did act as a judge on Drag U, but even then Ru wasn't a judge as much as a host, so Ru effectively put herself on a different level that avoided comparison.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

Unless there is another wig underneath it of course.

Speaking of which...

Bob was taking NO CHANCES :nyd: :dance: :nyd:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Cute moment between Kim and her partner this week: http://www.logotv.com/video-clips/m4qfia/rupauls-drag-race-kim-chi-and-briana-talk-relationships

The show needs to be way longer and include all these character building scenes. No good reason this (and all the other bonus clips) couldn't have just been in the episode.

Looks like the the episode after next will be a full 90 minutes (w/commercials) so you're getting your wish! And absolutely agreed — WTF else is Logo going to show? More time for eyeballs on ads too.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Stroop There It Is posted:

:(

I mean, I knew she wasn't gonna be Top 3, but I thought Thorgy would last a little bit longer.

This season really is so competitive :ohdear: :sigh:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The clips of Thorgy the past couple episodes have been so entirely negative that I feel pretty sure they purposely tossed any clips of her being positive or sweet.

Not to say she's not a multidimensional person with flaws, but the sudden and total shift of her screen time is noticeable. Sucks to go out on a slightly sour note like that.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Aerox posted:

Kim Chi's second look wasn't included in the version of the episode on Logo's website -- are there any pictures anywhere? I can't find any

Edit: Never mind -- I was apparently not paying attention when they showed it.

That was my favorite look, and Kim Chi has posted professional photos of it on her Instagram.

Thank God Derrick is gone (and she really should have gone through her Drag Journey long before this show) but I love every single one of the top 4, yay!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

A God drat Ghost posted:

WTF was with Raven and Raja booting Kim? But giving Derrick toots? I love you but please stop smoking so much, Raja.

They instantly started judging the outfits based on the queens' record (Derrick's was good...for Derrick, Kim Chi's wasn't unbelievably fabulous...for Kim Chi), which just goes to show why they shouldn't be allowed to explicitly acknowledge the queen's identity. JUDGE THE FASHION

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

criscodisco posted:

No, I think that should count towards a win. I can forgive a lot of mistakes if the guy making them is foxy.

I honestly can't be salty about Pearl making top 3 last season precisely because of this.

(And because now that S7 is but a faint star in the distance it's a lot easier to recognize that she really is a fierce queen.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Not Today Satan posted:

I'm still curious to follow her and see where she is drag wise a year from now, but she was just overshadowed by some really great queens.

It's actually been almost a year since filming and she's already come a long way!

...still continues to look like Willam and Britney had a baby.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

drat, that Untucked was adorable. This truly is the season of RuPaul's Best Friend Race.

Is Naomi the first "black horse" to make top 3?

I'd say so. (There have been plenty of underdogs but it's usually really obvious they've got Top 3-level talent.)

Naomi is definitely the first example of the gorgeous supermodel-type who realized she needed to demonstrate versatility and then actually pulled it off. It's hard to change up your look overnight too so it's obvious she had that talent and ability lurking below the surface the entire time.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I'd be super duper happy with the entire non-Top 3 cast of Season 8 being the cast of Season 10/All-Stars 3. Plenty more time and Drag Race $$$ for all of them to raise their already impressive game.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

Kim Chi's Guide to Hooking Up

A reality dating show where the queens (in full drag) plays Cyrano and set up Kim Chi (in full on boy mode) with a different guy each week.

A different Queen Team each week too (ideally with Bianca hosting). :swoon: Get on it LOGO!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Has there ever been a queen who throws shade as adorably as Kim Chi?

"I like it! You look like an 80s secretary going to a luncheon." :)

"I feel like this Untucked might not be as juicy as some of the others because we don't have Derrick in here to argue about her bad choices." :)

"I do wish your hair was bigger. Like...bigger." :)

Chichi: "And I'm like, all of you guys combined in one."
"Really?"
"Yeah. "
"All of us combined?"
"Yeah."
"OK." :)

this is all just from the first five minutes of the final Untucked episode

EDIT: OK I just had to post this Kim smile when she says her legs are tired so she can't show the other girls her runway

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 5, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

CaptainScraps posted:

Hahahah it also turns out that in addition to charging for entry, individual queens charge for autographs and photos.

This is standard BigCon stuff, for better (queens/celebs gotta get paid if only to cover attendance costs and most aren't even close to wealthy) or worse (it sucks to feel nickel and dimed, especially by your idols).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Roast of Bianca Del Rio was way funnier (and also a total mess that wasn't TV-ready, but that's drag!).

LOGO is livestreaming the finale red carpet on Facebook right now! :dance: Dax, Kim Chi, and Trixie are on right now (Trixie is playing the Joan Rivers role) and they all look amazing :swoon:

EDIT: ACID BETTY IS A LOBSTER ON LSD

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 11, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

:eyepop: That's freakin' legendary.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It's really no wonder Drag Race has done so well, drag's perfectly suited to the adage "forget good or bad, just be entertaining"

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Putting in my last-minute vote for Bob!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

IT HAPPENED

Condragulations to Bob the Drag Queen and, most importantly, PursePurse Imfurst

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

This was one kick-rear end season and I kind of want a rematch with everyone who wasn't top 3 but with all their new resources and expertise.

Hopefully the people who managed this season will be able to provide a comparable experience for AS2.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Thank god Bob doesn't play games. I can't stand another spate of vaguebooking BS involving Raja or Raven. 🙄

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It makes me happy that by all accounts Ru was genuinely surprised and delighted by Bob's purse offering. :kimchi:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Old Surly posted:

So next year a "look" or "fashion" queen has to win right? The comedy queen gene always skips a generation.

It all comes down to casting. I suspect a more old-school drag performer who has the look but can also deliver great performances will take the crown.

...gently caress, I'm still describing Bianca del Rio, aren't I?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

First Monday without new Drag Race :sigh: Is this withdrawal?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Tatianna's one of the many queens from the earlier seasons who have grown a lot in the 4-7 years since they were on TV. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujn0nmqahVI

...also dang Adore still looks a hot mess :eyepop:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

I don't doubt that she's grown, I just don't think that anybody was putting her on their Fantasy All-Stars ballots

I've always been a huge fan of having the non-top 3 queens on All-Stars myself :3: (but your point is made) :)

big black turnout posted:

Edit: also glad to see Alaska is gonna finally get the crown she deserved 👑

Yeah, this is Alaska's crown to lose. Kinda hoping for a little more drama so it isn't as straightforward a crowning as the last All-Stars but she sure as hell deserves it

Also, here's everyone's individual portraits in high-res. :dance:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Roxxxy's dress, however, looks horrible. I can't believe she'd wear that.

It's one of many drag queen dresses that clearly has an interesting idea behind it but falls completely flat in execution.

Katya's is actually one of my favorite, it's totally bizarre but also weirdly hyper-fashionable, which fits her to a T. (Alaska, Phi Phi, Detox, and Coco are also all on point.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

She looks almost unrecognizable to me. Like a white Raja. Could be the makeup and camera angle.

It looks to me like she's changed her contouring/make-up game for her cheekbones, but it's hard to tell. Could just be because she's photographed in quarter profile/photoshopped to hell etc.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Stoat posted:

There's no way it's not Alaska, Katya + 1 (my guess is Detox or Alyssa) because at the end of the day that's what the raging hordes of instagram and facebook fans want

See, this is what's interesting about The Big Twist. Because if I was one of those girls I'd know right off the bat that Alaska is simply the most popular queen (with Katya and Alyssa coming close but not quite), and she (and the others) need to be eliminated tout de suite. But I also wouldn't want to tank my own career by being The Queen Who Sent Everyone's Fav Home.

I guess what I'm saying is that if all the favs are the finalists, I hope the show makes it seem plausible and doesn't pretend there aren't frontrunners who everyone wouldn't want to immediately kick off, reality TV "alliances" or no.

(...I'd watch it religiously either way of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Holy poo poo everyone looks so good :swoon:

Also everyone seems really confident and sure of themselves, as they should be. :3: It's always a bit frustrating to wait for a few episodes (or the entire season) as everyone works through their "first time on TV" jitters/non-stop panic.

• Locked thread