Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

went to “The Barn” in berlin and had a great coffee and an even better conversation with a cool barista

also I wrote some postcards because I’m a twee dipshit

postcards are awesome and do not count as any kind of affectation since every person in the world enjoys receiving one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i can nap just fine on coffee. a full nights sleep can sometimes be a bigger issue, but i can for some reason drink four cups of coffee and then snooze for 20 minutes v:shobon:v

and, true, that is a huge blessing actually.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

imagine shaming people for drinking diet coke. such a simple pleasure, if that's what you like.

at least man up to the level of stymie and post about the ills of alcohol in the drinking thread.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

lol dear lord if you're hiking then just make some ziploc instant directly in the jetboil and save a couple kilos across the drip coffee setup, hand grinder, kettle, mugs, filters, and doilies. then get a portable filter to fill the space with

or perhaps do whatever you want because you're the one carrying the pack?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, a small stovetop heating element is something like 1200W, and being way less efficient than a submerged heating element (e.g. kettles, coffee makers) 1000W is a lot unless you're making truly huge amounts of coffee.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

have slept poorly and need to cut back on my coffee, but taking that as an inspiration to make it more of a ritual to drink two nicer cups in the am. i think i'll pick up a moka pot and a handgrinder and buy some locally roasted beans.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as an impressionable child what i have learned from last page is that most coffee is terrible, and complaining about and refusing to drink coffee is good.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

counterpoint: moka is a really pleasant level of ritual for making good coffee, at a very affordable price.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

even with good beans those machines are often really underperforming. my last job replaced a hugely expensive machine with an array of (cafe-style/sized) drip machines, which was more work for us overpaid computer touchers putting on coffee throughout the day (and the obvious conflicts about who took the last cup etc.) but the coffee was excellent and kept me in that terrible job like an extra 6 months for that reason alone.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have the coffee grinder set to make enough grounds for a full pot. don’t ask me what the setting is, if I ever change it I will forget

at already mentioned previous job we had a bunch of people debating tiny adjustments to the grinder setting as well, and with the water amount set and as an enjoyer-but-too-lazy-to-carer it wound up consistently excellent.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i really like my hario, but ended up having to do a drop of loctite to keep the nut from coming loose. luckily i only ever want that one size grounds, so got it set perfectly and have left it at that setting.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

idk i tried what my friend said was good coffee once
turkish coffee or some poo poo
same guy i did way too much mdma with and practically crippled myself emotionally and physically for a week

you should add your mdma guy on linkedin imo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

RustyKnight posted:

I could never make them do that, last time that bastard of a pot managed to splash coffee everywhere so hard that it gave me a big burn on my foot

guessing you over- or underfilled it. you are supposed to fully fill the filter bit with grounds but not tamp it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

graph posted:

i havent drank coffee since march 20th, 2020

ban this sick filth

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm pretty sure i systematically overextract my coffee a fair bit, but, idk, i just quite like it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

been self-isolating for a week after feeling a bit off, but nothing more having come of it i finally wandered out to buy new beans late evening. now desperately trying to resist either making coffee right now, or going to bed very early to wake up to make coffee.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Visual GNUdio posted:

reminding y`all coffee scrubs to step up ur fuckin game

work done for the week and drinking a large mug of coffee, using up the instant with the 2019 use-by date to replace it in the cupboard. tasting excellent op.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i drink a lot of coffee, but a day without brings with it only the vaguest withdrawal symptoms.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

i mean it takes about a week for most people to wean themselves off caffeine

sure, for withdrawal to subside, but afaik it is expected that you'd get symptoms within the first 36 hours if you're going to get any

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'd take *any* salary increase over the coffee my office provides.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

the last restaurant i was at where i thought “drat this was a good cup of coffee” was a relatively small independent Peruvian joint with (supposedly) fancy Peruvian beans and when i asked what machine they had they said just a regular rear end coffee machine, which made me think maybe the beans make all the difference but it didn’t when I bought several higher end ones

the secret is that coffee is always good. pretend i posted one of those "they have played us for absolute fools" memes for fancy coffee.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fisting by many posted:

worked outside the house today, remembered to bring a coffee with me

problem is i forgot to bring a second coffee

worst one is when you bring the second and third, but forget the first, and you then get no coffee at all trying to maintain the logical consistency.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i drank an americano made from an off-brand nespresso capsule as my single cup today, please forgive me

all coffee is good coffee (though some might be even better, the experts disagree however)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Neito posted:

make the background pink and the text orange.

Edit:

the only thing more disgusting than the color scheme is the text it obscures

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the coffee machine situation at work is so dire that i am thinking of getting more into tea (being more practical to brew in my office). sorry thread.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hows the move going so far in general anyway?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one of the nice things about coffee as an everyday luxury is that a lot of the time spending a bit more does get the people that do the work a bit more money.

compared to stuff like hipster beer the way coffee went hipstery is pretty wholesome.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i've figured out the sequence of buttons to press to make the machine at the office make a perfectly passable coffee, so very pleased now.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

quickly learning why its called expresso

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

an excellent snipe.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

they either way banned coffee shops under pressure from the vodka industry.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Nobody Interesting posted:

my grandma is the worst of them all. her idea of coffee is a mug filled with milk placed in the microwave followed by a (British) teaspoon or two of whatever instant she has on hand. she loves this.

sounds to me a lot like she's out there enjoying coffee while you're here whining on the internet about it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ive tried it, and while it is different i don't think it's ever better (i in general like to try seasoning unexpected things as an experiment though, some beers work real well).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i had never heard of it, probably not being hip enough, but it sounds pretty nice. possibly good turned into a dessert with some condensed milk

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Waifu Radia posted:

i had never thought about getting a moka pot. i have an electric stove will it still work? how do i ensure i dont let the coffee boil? so many thoughts

works fine on an electric stove, you ensure the coffee doesn't boil by taking it off the stove within at least a couple minutes of it being done, signaled by it suddenly making noise and expelling steam.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i think almost everyone start off by overfilling their moka pot, realizing that only once they have done a pot with fairly loose coffee, discovering that grounds still form into a firmish puck after brewing a nice cup.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

coffee is p. good, i like that persons plan of buying a machine that makes it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Nobody Interesting posted:

meanwhile i often have the opposite problem, where a barista will seemingly be confused that all i'm asking for is a black coffee.

they are trying to trigger you into a "what happened to coffee-flavored coffee" meltdown to put on tiktok

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Buck Turgidson posted:

My parents have that pod coffee and drat it sucks rear end

please no coffee negativity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

haveing coffee

out of curiosity, what are people's thoughts on chicory. can't say i care for it

as a proponent of coffee positivity, even my efforts will not extend to chicory