Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
A
J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

C

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

C

Seems relaxing

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

H
N

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A
B

Let's get some helpers first, then we can start listening to others' complains, when we can actually be of help.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

We are new here, let's not bind ourselves to one group just yet.

F. Refuse. I want to hear the frogs, and some other groups' opinions before acting on this.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

B

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

F. Request "The Spiders and the Frogs", a real classic. Or maybe the whole "Swamp stories" album.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Outrail posted:

One true name, and if the rest of the album is as good as the one track we'll give you the other true name. But you have to tell us who's names you want first.

+1

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Outrail posted:

Haggling in good nature. I doubt a world spanning hivemind is going to get angry that a naive seedling doesn't know how things conduct themselves. Not to mention that a hivemind like that can't possibly have an ego, I hope.

gently caress it. It's not a CYOA if we don't piss people off.

The deal is ok as is, but we want to know who's names they want. That's not unreasonable to want both parties to know what they're giving away.

Otherwise it may end in a "We want YOUR True Name, evil laugh", and then they can ask us to do whatever.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

You cannot tell a True Name to one who does not know it, unless something of equal value is given in exchange.

How can you even haggle with true names with that rule? We cannot give them 3 names for info, because the stories aren't worth it, or we CAN because the value of information is subjective, and that rule is effectively useful. Maybe shouting the nematodes true name would give us the pleasure of knowing they will be bound to the will of all the other trees, and that is infinitely valuable to us.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A and Foreign snakes

I wanted to talk with the flying bugs, but we should listen to their song beofre doing that now that we have access to it. And the snakes seems like the most relevant to the spiders-frog situation

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Theglavwen posted:

Guys come on, if we're still trying to figure out this frog and spider thing, vote for a song that'll give more info on that. Given the story told so far, I'm voting The Secret Murder That Started The Second Great Giant War. What's bugging the bugs or foreign snakes might also be relevant though.

I don't think neither spiders nor frogs qualify as "Giants". And the frogs were forced to emigrate from their original home due to a viper attack, they may have been followed. That's why we are asking for that song.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

That song was remarkably unsongy, and not particularly helpful. Sounds like snakes are not ones for subterfuge.

D, duh.

Outrail posted:

F. Can you please tell me both in your own words and the words of your people why you are at war with the spiders. Assume I know nothing of the situation.
Duh.

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 29, 2016

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

For paragon's sake

Voting D

And also ask the frog about the reasons for the war

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Why did you leave your old home? Where you alive back then? Is it likely your people was followed? Do you have any other enemy besides the spiders? Do you know of anyone that could reproduce your scent and fake an attack on your behalf? What do you know of the spiders in this swamp? Is there anyone you would trust (besides ourselves) to act as a mediator between you and the spiders? Did you deface the spider's temple? Do you know anyone who would have a motive to make it seem like you did? Who are your allies on this swamp? Any advice for a young tree like me? What's the deal with the giant skull over there? What do you know about the old willow (the cheating one, may not be a willow)? What surrounds the swamp? Do humans ever come here? Do the frogs guard any ancient secret (long day, deep roots, true names, etc.)? Do you worship any god? What are the common gods worshiped on this swamp?

Small frog, I expect big answers out of you. Let's Elmidel this CYOA up.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

SerSpook posted:

Actual vote is F, talk to the centipedes

Changing my previous vote to this, tell the frog we need some time to think it over. They may know something, or they may just not want to take sides.

Ask: How imminent do you think a new war is?

:love: for answering all my questions.

Before the frog leaves explain it several kind of games trees play

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Patrick Spens posted:

Because in a video game you would be able to solve everyone's problems.

Enkidel certainly felt this way...

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A is reasonable enough, no long term impact and potential for allies.

Let's hear What's bugging the bugs

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

One of the sides has a leader that is a dick?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

paragon1 posted:

You have multiple accounts stating that said incidents have no living witnesses.

That's obviously not true. Specially in a swamp. A tree must be nearby, or a nematode or something.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

hollylolly posted:

Yeah, spider webs had to be on something, like a bush. And who else would benefit from the mutual destruction of the spiders and the frogs than....THE INSECTS.

If the "song" wasn't about how the unions are getting weaker this could be a masterstroke planned by them. May still be anyway. A cabal of old timers saw the arrival of frogs, a new threat, and turned it into an opportunity to get rid of another enemy. We may be even able to sell this to the frogs or the spiders.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I feel repulsed by the union, but I guess not all the CYOA characters have to be paragons of virtue

Take the deal

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

B
C
Advisors YES
Bodyguards YES
Servants YES

And do check for mad names once the leaders are reunited. I'm bringing the servants just on the very remote chance it's one of them. But it should probably be a leader or a top advisor.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Tensions aren't THAT high, so A and B may not be necessary right now. But on the other hand if they get past 15 they may be harder to calm down...

C

Let's try to raise the satisfaction level.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

E It's has certain appeal, tying it all together.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

B
L

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

C
D

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A
Modified I: Frogs will gather food to feed the spiders repairing the web and fetch any other necessary supplies, but will not enter the holy grounds.
O

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

Comedy option: Both your religions have failed you. From now on you will worship me instead.

That's actually one of the lettered options.

RandomPauI posted:

How about this?

Once a week the frogs provide material support to rebuild the web. Once a week a group of spiders performs the requisite rituals to appease the ancestors. This continues for a year. The frogs and spiders can elect to extend this if needed.

Propose this, see what they have to say

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

C

I think this won't bother the spiders TOO much, and it's a fair compromise to avoid genocide I guess.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

JT Jag posted:

We have the deal with the union, it'll be trivial I expect.

TRIVIAL? Aren't we supposed to already act as a neutral ground where both groups can hunt? And we measure less than a feet. I think gathering a few THOUSAND insects won't be trivial for quite a while.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I don't wanna say told ya, but actually I do.

So, this side quest is pretty much done, but we are no closer to finding out the real culprit. Depending on who it is we may even be approached by it after this. After all, I don't think such a creature likes it when a newcomer messes with something that's been going on for generations. Although if it's a mad being I doubt he cares about much at all.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Phone posting so il keep it short

Good game, good world, good GM. Well, maybe a bit too easy on the hints, but Diog's spoiled me on that. Keep at it paragon, enjoying this so far.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I don't care about the artwork, sure it would be a plus, but who cates? Wasting update time looking for the right image? Nope, time that could be used for writing. The Talos thing is a whole different beast, custom pics for every update, sure that's awesome. Diogs approach could work here, but I'm sure he already has a folder with a million mesopotamia related pictures.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Nyaa posted:

We will ran for president in this swamp and all the trees will vote for us.

Good luck in a democratic election if you don't pander to the nematode demographic. You could try to argue they are a single overmind, but we all remember what happened to the last tree to try that...

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

[B]Adapt to salt, whatever option that is.[b]

Could switch to acid if paragon confirms that's the larger bottle neck

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

"Your children will hear your words. Go in peace my friend."

A

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Crocodiles' song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Sir Unimaginative posted:

What's Buggin' the Bugs!?

We should probably find out since they're at the heart of most of the things we've done with our short tree life to date.

We''ve already heard that one.

There's A Mad God Deep Under The Ground, And His Children Seek To Awaken Him

Maybe we'll get a clue as to who the Mad creatures in the swamp are.

• Locked thread