Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH a place where people on the way out will try penny pinch implies the culture is toxic as gently caress, so that's still a bullet dodged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Fair enough, I never got any explanation and now never will (hiring manager left about a year ago as well). I felt moreso the HR person just couldn’t give a gently caress less about actually doing that part of their job, but who knows who made that call.
It has its crappy points, but not bad enough to really be looking (plus it seems the market is turning, though that’s purely anecdotal for me).

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

nexus6 posted:

Also, forgive me if I missed this when I read the OP, when/if asked "what was your last salary?" is there a reason I shouldn't just lie and say a figure higher than what I was actually paid? That way if we do argue down to it, it is still an amount that counts as a raise?

Definitely dodge the question (or otherwise find a way to not give them an actual answer), but don't lie. I've had multiple jobs request my last pay stub as proof of my prior employment as part of the background check. I have no idea if they would actually check that stub against the salary you quoted them, but it's not worth the risk because that's something that places absolutely *will* yank an offer over (mostly because you lied to them, not because of the salary itself).

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Chewbecca posted:

When I negotiated a higher salary a few jobs ago based on my current salary, I was asked to provide proof in the form of a payslip or group certificate. I'd think carefully before lying about current salary.

Isn't the way around this usually a A censored or redacted w-2 as proof of employment?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

TheParadigm posted:

Isn't the way around this usually a A censored or redacted w-2 as proof of employment?

I'm in Australia so idk what these are, hth

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ah sorry.

Take a paystub.

Cover up the #'s they don't need to see.

Its a legit proof of employment - and thus satisfies the inquiry - WITHOUT giving up information(that affects your pay).

Just censor out the numbers. Tax witholdings, hours worked, etc. leave in the date range, when it was issued, that stuff.

Easier if you get a pdf.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TheParadigm posted:

Ah sorry.

Take a paystub.

Cover up the #'s they don't need to see.

Its a legit proof of employment - and thus satisfies the inquiry - WITHOUT giving up information(that affects your pay).

Just censor out the numbers. Tax witholdings, hours worked, etc. leave in the date range, when it was issued, that stuff.

Easier if you get a pdf.

This is what I had to do for my last background check at my current org. I was told to black out all the salary info, plus the hiring company never saw the info, just the 3rd party bg check company verified it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In china they point blank ask for last two months of your bank statements and proof of deposit of salary as a broken out line item.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats why there's fewer non-ethnic-chinese immigrants to the entire country of china than immigrants to the usa who go to my whole foods

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats why there's fewer non-ethnic-chinese immigrants to the entire country of china than immigrants to the usa who go to my whole foods

Was imagining the world's largest, busiest Whole Foods, but then looked up the actual numbers and :tviv: that's actually remarkably low.

quote:

In 2016, China issued 1,576 permanent residency cards. This was more than double what it had issued the previous year, but still roughly 750 times lower than the United States’ 1.2 million at the time.[3] By 2017, the number of foreigners holding Chinese Permanent Residence finally passed the 10,000 mark.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 17, 2024

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Is it safe to say they “don’t take kindly to your type around these parts”?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think it's more that people just cannot be hosed dealing with China for very long. I've known a few people who lived there for a year or two and they say they miss the food but otherwise are happy to be done with the place.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
no i mean a lot of Chinese people are also insanely racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TBF "gently caress off, we're full" is a little more believable when China says it