Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Can we have another race where Rosberg and Hamilton wipe each other out again? Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I got up this morning early to catch at least part of the race, went "gently caress it, it'll be Mercedes 1-2 with either Red Bull or Ferrari 3rd, with absolutely fuckall action," and promptly went back to sleep.

Looks like I was right.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

enri posted:

I want to make a website similar to the 'has maldonado crashed today' one that would be called 'should I bother watching the race or not' - only problem is I need someone to watch it live and post a yes/no... wait I've got it. It'll be a crowdsourced affair, post to twitter with '#worthwatchingtheF1 yes' or '#worthwatchingtheF1 no' and it'll feedback to the site, and the site will give you a percentage of yes/no votes - leaving you able to decide whether to waste your evening watching it on catch up.

gently caress it, that's my Monday project right there.

It could be simpler than that:

code:
if(BernieInCharge) { "No" };

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I just dont understand if we're already banning V10s and active aerodynamics and ABS (all standard things on road-sports cars) but going back to H-Pattern shifters is a bridge too far into the past.

A formula of Single plane, active wings, ground effects and proper gearboxes would MAKE F1 GREAT AGAIN.

Bring back the fan car!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

geeves posted:

reddit is holding a candlelight vigil for Kvyat's career.

Don't worry, one of Putin's good buddies will put up money so Kvyat stays in.

In a twist of irony, Haas signs him... as a backup.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wuffles posted:

Also in quali after Nico's lap, that saggy faced David Hobbs going "That was a SCORCHER" as the camera cuts to Niki Lauda's blank, melted face.

woaoaoaoaoaoaoooah

As a Milwaukee resident, all I can think of when I think of David Hobbs is his Honda dealership.

It still persists no matter how much I remind myself he raced in F1 for a handful of races (six) and has two class wins at Le Mans and took 3rd overall twice.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MattD1zzl3 posted:

:dukedoge:

(nascar used to be so much cooler until the early 90s. I wish we could move back a little into the direction of modified production cars being races in nascar again)

I think the move away from modified production cars to purpose built cars is what caused GT and TC to become more popular. Well, that, and the move towards LMPs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So those giant wheels are probably going to make them look like Indy cars in terms of width.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah that's the one. Also responsible for causing me to watch Corvair adverts in utter fascination at 3am.

One of my regulars at work used to own a couple Corvairs. He also had a Fiero and a MR2 Turbo. He liked the engine in the rear back in his day (he now drives a minivan).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Whitey Ford posted:

Plenty of emissions get generated in the back of minivans too

He's 89 years old. So if you want to imagine that, go ahead.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

learnincurve posted:

Watching the 2010 season review. Can we do that again please?

As long as Bernie is alive, no.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cross posting from the Indy thread:

Another driver lost his life racing.

https://www.facebook.com/indycar/posts/10153711447740848

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And he died on a little dirt oval thing. Did Tony the Ripper kill him too?

No. Contact with lapped cars sent him into the wall, he flipped, landed topside facing traffic and got hit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What about Maldonado, then?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

He openly hosed Prost every chance he got what's your point

:vince:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crossing from Indy, expect the halo arguments to fire up again:

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/767770321164185600

Helio walked away, but let the fun begin again.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

The US needs a good rally course

Look up Rally America.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

simplefish posted:

I can't believe that this is a pit lane in 2016. Seems more 1976, and even then...

Indy has had some bumper car problems in the pits this year. The Indy 500 had a big problem, then Aleshin loses in the most Russian Dash Cam way in Mid-Ohio. US pit lanes are much more compact than F1, and usually everyone pits around the same time leading to a bit more chaos than F1 pits.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brainwrong posted:

Do they still use watering cans to refuel or have they upgraded to hosepipes now?

NASCAR still uses the cans. Indy uses hoses.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Won't Putin and his rich buddies make sure Kyvat has a ride though?

(Kyvat as a Haas backup driver is my dream)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tsaedje posted:

Why would Putin and his rich buddies want to associate themselves with a failure?

I don't think they're going to bankroll Aleshin into F1 anytime soon.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ScrubLeague posted:

Like 70% of those dudes without shirts should put on shirts.

Clearly you've never been to an american football game in the dead of winter.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

enri posted:

I was thinking exactly that during the closing laps. All we need is for a commentator to utter the same thing live on air and invoke the dreaded commentator's curse.

But that means Rosberg will win, unless somehow both Merc drives become absolute poo poo, letting the bogan win (Riccardo can only get 351 points, assuming he wins the remaining 8 races).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

As an American, what the poo poo is a bogan? Some racist term for Aussies?

"White Trash"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

aequalis posted:

This loving little poo poo. He's either the grid's biggest troll or he seriously has a death wish. Or both.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verstappen-vettel-and-raikkonen-should-be-ashamed-of-themselves-811205/

I'm guessing being the only non-Mercedes winner this year went to his head, combined with being promoted over Kvyat.

Doesn't matter that that was the race where both Mercs took each other out, but still.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alain Post posted:

Nobody under the age of 30 should be able to drive a Formula One car.

Well, I guess we get to ignore Alain Prost's first five years in F1 then!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alain Post posted:

as far as less-known cig liveries go, the Chesterfield Dallara was interesting

though Chesterfield are probably better known as a sponsor for 250cc motorcycles

Can open wheel, as a whole, go back to lower downforce setups? Thanks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alain Post posted:

That's not a low-downforce setup.

This is a low-downforce setup.

Nah, this is low downforce:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

This race was good, probably my favourite of the year so far. Did they find out exactly why Kmag's head protection flew off yet?

I think when you smack a wall at 150 mph (or around thereabouts), something is going to get dislodged.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sticksy posted:

Some commentator said that due to him going in backwards like that at that speed and the collapse of the "driver safety cell" (or whatever they call the cockpit) as it should've, that dislodged it but not that there was a failure per se. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Related: Tire barriers are better than a plain old steel or concrete wall, but seriously, if they're that close to the track (and not behind a non-paved runoff area), they should consider moving to SAFER.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So Haas not only manages to make it to Q3, but GUT does over GRO?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grosjean hit with a grid penalty for a gearbox change, starting 17th instead of 12th. Esteban Ocon permitted to race despite not setting a qualifying session time (his practice time was within 107%).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brownie posted:

Hello I haven't watched any races at all this season and don't know any results, what were the best ones?

What funeral fag said.

Spanish GP, because someone not named Lewis Hamilton or Nico Rosberg wins. In fact, neither of those two complete a lap.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

uhhhhhh...

what?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

learnincurve posted:

Liberty media own Virgin media and also have their sticky fingers in Sky and Fox.

Which means NBC will likely lose broadcast rights and they'll give it to Fox... and promptly put it on Fox Sports 1 WHICH NO ONE WATCHES. They did that with the NASCAR races and viewership dropped like mad. This was their plan for the 24 Hours of LeMans one year: http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/foxs-tv-schedule-for-the-24-hours-of-le-mans-is-heinous-1709149579 , and then did this this year: http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/fox-sports-pushed-the-start-of-motorsports-biggest-even-1782209818 .

(Not to say all of Fox's sports coverage is bad though. I like their American football coverage over CBS for the day games and their "local" channels pretty much allow all the local teams to be covered (Fox Sports Wisconsin pretty much airs all the Brewers and Bucks games that aren't on ESPN).)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Isnt "Fox Sports 1" just the rebranded "Speed TV"? Their coverage was excellent (only surpassed for me by the BBC) and i'd love to see the broadcasting dream team of Hobbs, Varsha and Matchett together again.

And lest we forget,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKr4dhxIwZ0

It's a replacement in the sense that FS1 occupies the same channel that Speed did, otherwise they're completely different (FS1 is general sports coverage, supposed to be a competitor to ESPN :laffo:). It's not like when Outdoor Life Network slowly shifted to general sports coverage by first picking up the Tour de France and the NHL, becoming Versus eventually, and then NBCSN.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Varsha no longer works for FOX so Joe Buck will probably start calling F1 if that happens. :suicide:

:allbuttons:

Go to the corner and think about what you've done.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alain Post posted:

Formula One at Road Atlanta would be extremely cool.

Only two US courses are FIA Grade 1: Indy and Austin. Daytona, Belle Isle, Laguna Seca, Long Beach, Mid-Ohio, New Jersey, Somona, St. Pete, and The Glen are Grade 2. Baltimore is /technically/ Grade 2, though it hasn't had a race on its streets since 2013. Barber is grade 2+1T. Atlanta doesn't even have a FIA grade. As much as I would love to see a 2nd US F1 race and have that be rotating among all the great road courses we have, the amount of work it would take to get those tracks up to what F1 wants would likely ruin what makes those tracks great.

Though the dream of seeing F1 cars losing their poo poo on Turn 5 at Road America always makes me smile :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Indy Car has 15 races so far and 8 winners (there could be 9 winners over 16 races, but who knows). :smugbert:

In all seriousness: since 1996, only 7 teams have won a WDC (6 if you want to argue that Brawn and Mercedes are the same team, just different coats of paint). Same with WCC. In that time span, only twice has a team won WCC and not won WDC (1999 and 2008)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Penske is steamrolling everyone else dude. Bad example.

I'll half accept the point, and I will contest that not much emphasis is placed on teams in Indy as they are in F1.

• Locked thread