Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do we know Butters' opinion on foster kittens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's like hobo signs that the dogs put out when the go to pee.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He seems to have less existential dread these days. Perhaps he no longer experiences the absurd condition of existence so deeply.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Butters is looking thin these days, unless that is just a flattering angle.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If you can, do a bunch of heavy-duty shelves around the room, higher than anything else but with some cabinets or cat trees to let him get up and down easily. Having a bunch of high perches is super-thrilling to a cat, especially if he's higher than you. Just make sure it's easy to get down.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope you and Monty enjoy many hugs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is a total cliche, but could you call the fire department? It might make their day to just have a safe and cute thing to do for like half an hour. Are there any local shelters that might be able to send somebody with the right equipment?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"How does that Japanese cat keep this up for so long?"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This store only sells knit hats for cats, but they seem affordable...

...and come in kitten sizes...

http://kawaiihawaiicats.storenvy.com

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tendai posted:

I know what whoever I get for PISS next year is getting if they have a cat :getin:

100% of hat sales go to a cat shelter in Hawaii, so go for it!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chili posted:

Thank you all for attending my little pity party around giving up Gummi. I owe you all a bit of an update!

Pictures and maybe video later, but for now, Panda, Polar, and Gummi have all moved on and will be finding forever homes!

So for now we're left with Mama, Teddy, and Grizzly.

Also, we learned that Teddy is, in fact, a little girl! It's always hard to tell when they're young, and they simply guessed wrong last time. So she's been outnumbered until now.

Last bit of good news is that they just started a foster mentoring program at our SPCA. The plan is to have veteran fosters be available to support new fosters should they need assistance. So they give out phone numbers/email and hook up new folks with some support. They're starting the program off small and they only picked a few, but they chose us! That was a nice way to soften the blow of handing over some of our kitties.

So all is well here. Grizzly and Teddy probably have about a week left with us before they can go back. Lilly will have another week or two as she'll need to dry up before they can spay her.

Does Mama enjoy human attention, or does she just really enjoy digging at the bottom of boxes?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's a rare cat who doesn't think one or the other of us is named Food or Hungry, based on experience.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's not personal, though cats are also kind of jerks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That defiant look is like the complete opposite of the Butterstare. Of course he would summon the fortitude to ascend.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Two weeks is a long time to not post a photo or video of a cat in this thread, though. Unless it would be traumatic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Goodogs can be acceptable cattes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't believe there aren't tons of people interested in getting two cats who are friends when it's so often a total mystery whether cats will tolerate or hate each other.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah it's possible the cat just can't get his head/mouth comfortably into the can. If their whiskers get compressed against something they can assume that there's high risk of getting stuck in some kind of hilarious Winnie-the-Pooh situation.

Also it might not be brain damage. Some cats are just kind of stupid. If he's getting into poo poo during the day he might just need more amusement

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only mammal mouth more likely than a cat's to cause an infection is a human's. make sure you're keeping that bite clean.

Also she probably comes out when you're at work.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Just some emergency-room trivia that has stuck with me (it wasn't a human bite). Cat bites can be serious business is what I mean to say.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

triple clutcher posted:

"Meow us a song, you're the Butters cat
Meow us a song tonight
Well we're all in the mood for a furry belly
And we think that feline's alright ..."

This is great. See, it's a piano.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gizmo's got some A+ blep going on, but don't lounge in your toilet, lovely fat cat! I hope he was into hugs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maggie Fletcher posted:

You guys....

I sent my foster back to the shelter last weekend to make room for my new special needs (sort of) foster (she needs to be a solo cat, and is not adoptable, so she needs to be a permanent foster in a home with no other cats. I was the only member of the organization without a permanent cat). The previous cat flourished at the shelter (think free-range, no-kill, no cages except for cats in quarantine/under vet care) with other cats but wasn't so great with people, and wasn't happy at my home.

I picked up my new foster yesterday and she's breaking my heart. She's sweet, beautiful, and very docile. Put up no fuss with the vet, and will accept pets and I even got a tiny purr out of her yesterday. But she's depressed. She's with us because her owner died, and she bonded really strongly to the owner. Over time, she bonded with the temporary caretaker, and we've uprooted her again. I can tell she's lonely and sad and misses her person. Her eyes are so sad, and all I want to do is make her feel happy and safe. She's 12 and deserves a forever home, and although she's not technically adoptable, I think it's fair to say she's going to live out her days at my home.

I've spent only a couple hours with her and I'm in love already. If she were adoptable, I'd be a foster fail.

Why won't they let you adopt her? Fostering always seemed partially like a scheme to soften people up so they'd eventually keep a few.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ComicsandSlushies posted:

sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this but I wasn't sure if I should go to the general cat thread or this one.

A momma cat and her baby have taken up residence under my trailer. I'm totally cool with this but if the momma cat has more babies this might be a problem so I wanna take her to get fixed. Problem is I have no idea who to call to come get her as she will run away if I approach her, animal control or a local shelter?

if someone can point me in the right direction (or if I'm in the wrong thread the proper one) I'd really appreciate it

If you ask the local shelter, they might know about local rescue organizations that help with fixing wild cats. The shelter might also loan you a trap to catch the cats. The kitten could probably be adopted by someone if you catch them (maybe you or someone you know).

I'd be careful with animal control because they might have rules about not letting wild cats go after fixing them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Batman is a stately cat. Felicia (I think it was her) has a nice-looking afghan.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

smilingfish posted:

We're taking care of our friend's 3-month-old kitten Smew for a week.

Our own 10-year-old cat, Charlie, seems to be a bit wary of her.

Charlie's a good soul to try being friends/tolerating a kitten.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That is a good dog. A+

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The blissful obliviousness of happy dogs next to contemptuous cats will never not be hilarious. I'm glad you're hosting that sweet doggo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My poor scaredy cat foster...I think we've had a slight setback. I went out and bought a bunch of her favorite food, some new treats to try, and a laser pointer. She's not very adventurous food-wise, or food-motivated. She doesn't go for Temptations, which every cat on the planet loves (she'll eat them eventually if I leave them in her dish, but otherwise ignores them). She is TERRIFIED of the laser pointer. I didn't shine it at her or anything, just a few feet away from her, and she ran away. I shone it on the opposite wall and she stared at it like it was coming to get her. I finally calmed her down with some really stinky freeze dried salmon, and I may try again as she gets bolder, keeping the laser pointed across the room from her so it's not a threat, but it's just the weirdest thing to see a cat legitimately fearful of a dot on the floor.

That shelter and that cat got really lucky that you were there to take on permanent care of that sweet cat. Cats are weird and also pretty resilient. She's probably not going to remember that this happened 20 minutes from whenever it happened. And some cats are weird about play--a friend of mine had a cat who would only play by herself at night and would stop and stare warily if my friend made any noise suggesting that he wasn't asleep in his bed (he often sat quietly watching her because it was funny). My friend found the cat in a rental storage space and adopted her and she was mostly fine but intimidated by regular-sized rooms, possibly because she was used to living in a place with a low ceiling.

You will eventually succeed at finding something that the cat enjoys playing with because you're so dedicated to the task, but who knows what it will be.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does Butters now get along better with your other cool, chill cat?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don’t worry, Butters. Food hasn’t abandoned you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

neongrey posted:

Oh gosh, I totally forgot, here's the cat cuddling from earlier in the month. https://imgur.com/a/ceifn

Pineapple 😍😍

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The best Bob Ross squirrel video is when he meets a giant squirrel and it blows his mind that there are squirrels that big. This is kind of it, but there’s a better one that uses this footage:

https://youtu.be/qJHsYyebNqA

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Edit: wrong thread.

Wholesome content: good luck getting a dog! They really help make a new place feel like home.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Butterscotch is love.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

taiyoko posted:

If you currently don't have enough kitties in your life, Tiny Kittens is currently livestreaming three feral pregnant mamas that have been brought in and are all due to give birth in the next week or two. All the kittens will be fixed before adoption, and the moms as well before they're either adopted (if they can be successfully socialized) or returned to their colony. They do a lot of good work with TNR and adoptions, so I thought I'd share.

They’re wonderful. I love Grandpa Mason and his signature look of horrified shock when he discovers that one of his humans was the one petting him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Monty seems at peace with the whole situation.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wroughtirony posted:

"Oh, I could never stop a beating heart, animal or human.”

“I’ll let someone at the shelter do it six months later.”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sneakyfrog posted:

get your loving animals spayed or neutered unless you plan on keeping all their goddamn offspring.

I would steal that ladies cat.

:catbert:

also what the hell does catholicism have to do with it? they eat meat so obviously animals dont count towards heaven.

That’s the main reason the official Catholic position is that animals don’t have souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Their other cat is named Gwildor. That’s great.