Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

A question for the experienced cat fosters: my niece has a cold/respiratory infection. My sister is insisting that she gets nowhere near the kittens because "they might catch it". The kittens are about 4 weeks old and in pretty good health, precocious little Thor has already taken to preferring wet food/stage 2 kmr mixture. Is my sister overreacting or is it reasonable to insist my niece not play with the kittens even if they approach her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

It's almost time for our fosters to find their homes. I'm gonna miss them, though I'm sure our cat Gonzo won't. He just hisses at them anytime they get too close. It's been hard to get pictures lately because whenever they're out of the laundry room, they all have the zoomies, but here's a rare "all zoomed out" pic.

Luna, Joey, Thor, and Princess

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So we finally actually rehomed one of the fosters successfully, after previous attempts fell through. Kind of relieved Princess, the gray girl, has her new home, since she liked jumping from furniture onto the table lamps and nearly knocking them over. Pretty sure my niece is sad, because Princess was her favorite.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So all of our fosters have found forever homes now. I'm happy for them, and I heard all the families were enthusiastic about their new darlings (my mom and sister were the ones involved in the handovers), but I'm gonna miss the little buttholes zooming around with no regard for humans coming through, climbing pants legs when we're getting their food ready, having to keep them from destroying curtains/lamps/cords, and my preferred way of "get out of there": a minute or so of aggressive snuggling. It's so quiet without them, and their mom keeps looking for them. I think I should nab some feliway because momma cat seems to have started pulling out fur, too.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Booger Presley posted:

If that doesn't work maybe give momma some extra scratches and hugs, then some extra play to refocus. She needs to cat again instead of mom.

Kudos to you for helping those kitties find their forever homes and bringing happiness to all involved!

Love this thread

I need to find a laser to try playing with her with. We've got a da bird or similar type toy, and the kittens loved the gently caress outta it, including dragging the whole thing along when we weren't actively playing with them with it, but momma just kinda looked at it like "what the hell is this thing?" I know she's got some kind of prey drive because she survived until my sister started feeding her.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

We're starting to suspect we're gonna be on to Fostering: Round 2. We didn't get Momma Cat and the kittens indoors until the kittens were about two weeks old. Now that they're been sent to their forever homes...Momma Cat is looking awfully fat and we suspect she may have gotten pregnant before we got her in the house...It's been about long enough for her to be near birth if so. I'll try to get pictures. She also has a habit of trying to go outside whenever she hears the front door or somebody getting ready to leave.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

"Ah, Jeeves Chili, I'll be taking my breakfast in bed this morning."

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I didn't get a picture, and haven't seen it again, but there has been a catpile with Gonzo and Momma Cat (we really need to give her a new name, my niece has stubbornly taken to calling her Sugar Sprinkles though). As soon as I said something, though, Momma Cat hopped down to request to be let back in the house.

Also, since she loves nibbling on you and bunny kicking your arm as her play mode, I should get a discount valentines day stuffed animal for her to play with like that, so it won't matter if she tears it up. She has gotten better at realizing she's gotta be gentle on us humans, at least. And I really should figure out how to clip her nails, since her extra dewclaw doesn't really get worn down like the others and tends to get her hooked up on door mats and such.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

10/10, would snuggle that catte.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Boogalo posted:

Milly has been here 6 months now but I'll always spam pictures on demand.

Chillest tortie ever.

I would accuse you of stealing my catte, but Milly is a short hair, while Momma Cat (or Sugar Sprinkles if you ask my niece what her name is) is a medium hair. :kimchi:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Chili posted:

Been too long.

Caption Contest Time!

"Oh my god, what is that human doing to his butt?"

(Couldn't resist making a :goatsecx: joke, sorry.)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

If you currently don't have enough kitties in your life, Tiny Kittens is currently livestreaming three feral pregnant mamas that have been brought in and are all due to give birth in the next week or two. All the kittens will be fixed before adoption, and the moms as well before they're either adopted (if they can be successfully socialized) or returned to their colony. They do a lot of good work with TNR and adoptions, so I thought I'd share.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Kitten is picked up and hopefully on her way to a good foster life.

I don’t know that this lady can care for her beyond kittenhood, but I’m sure she’ll find a good home for her if she can’t.

I think my main fear now is what if she has birth defects the vet missed?

It sucks if kittom has defects that end up being incompatible with life, but that's the way things happen sometimes. It's certainly happened enough times on the TinyKittens youtube feed, and another reason for people to spay and neuter their dang cats -- so there aren't more and more and more unwanted kittens dying because they got the short end of the genetic stick.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

The folks over at Tiny Kittens will keep the fosters in a room that doesn't have any extra places to hide besides the designated nest, which is an Ikea cabinet with a hole cut in the side for mama to get in and out freely. Then, for weighing, you just open up the doors. Also makes changing out the dirty blankets easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Booger Presley posted:

Man I'm in cat limbo

We have eight cats. Seven trapped (in our yard) and conditioned to the way. They all live in luxury and housed retirement.

Our friend has a ton of chickens, and is oddly consumed with cats. He does not feed/care for them. They shall eat mice.

We have abducted and sought medical attention for the weakest. They are safe. I know of >dozen of cats.

At what point do we smite him and reacue the cats?

At the very least, see if you can TNR them so that they aren't making more cats?