Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Some of the best cats I've ever had were foster failures. :unsmith: Keep up the good work.

(the mlem pic is :swoon:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Gorgar posted:

Clean butterpaws!

Them ain't paws, them's catcher mitts!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Wow! An orange female. Don't see that every day. She's a real cutie, too.

Keep up the awesome work, guys. I got my buddy Poyo (a.k.a. boopcat, the cat who boops you) from a rescue whose cats are all fostered. Her caregiver was a little brokenhearted but also excited when we adopted her. (I think she almost became a foster failure. She has a lovely personality. :3:)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Thin Privilege posted:

She looks like she wants to boop. Boop her for me.

Duly booped! She promptly showed her belly even though I woke her up. It's never a trap. :kimchi:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
When I was a kid, we fostered a big ol' black cat for a couple years. He bonded with a couple of my mom's cats. Some years later, his adopter returned him to us (weird, long, stupid story). He wasn't in good physical shape. The reintroduction went poorly. He and his (sole remaining) former buddy either didn't recognize each other anymore or just didn't resume their catpals relationship. At any rate, I don't think I'd recommend it if you're not keeping the sister.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

katka posted:

It is now!

Sorry I'm super late with this update but we've been busy. Anyhow so far little Farrah seems to be doing well. We got a scale and she is starting to put weight on quicker now and she has started to eat even more then she already was. It's a lot of work taking care of her, but its worth it!

:kiddo: Lil cutie's eyes and ears are open! Is she still on an every 2 hours feeding schedule?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Gums swelling? I've only seen gingivitis stuff in cax with tooth problems (like Poyo, who had a abscessed, broken tooth removed when we got her). I'm assuming a vet would've caught that during examination, but maybe not if it was only cursory...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

SneakyFrog posted:

kitten thinks its a dog halp

Teach it how to fetch and shake!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Yes. I do have too much time on my hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPmL8HDTVGo

:magical: The Butterhunt should be an event at every holiday.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Did someone already suggest Mewnit

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
You can really tell how much he's slimmed down! His belly flaps are actually kinda cute. Buttery fella.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Chili posted:

So time to admit something very embarrassing.

When I see butterscotch when I come home, I sing this song (to the tune of "Let's All Go To The Lobby")

Who's my buttery fella?
Who's my buttery fella?
Who's my buttery fellaaaaa?
His name is butterscotch!

Then I grab his head and jiggle it.

It's better than one of my standbys, which is just "bad cats are bad, bad cats are bad... bad cats are baaaaad!" Very musical, bigly voice, etc.

Cat songs are one of the highlights of cat ownership.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Some drat good catsonging in here. :golfclap:

e. Oh yeah... Also "Petting the Cat" to the tune of Judas Priest's "Breaking the Law," of course. Pettin' the cat, pettin' the cat...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
What a good tortie loaf!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Please don't climb a thirty foot tall tree without proper equipment. :ohdear:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:ohdear: Does she have a little eye infection too? Poor rumpled kitten. Cherokee's a cute little pea.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Chili posted:

It's all sorta part of the URI, we've got goop to put in her eyes twice a day. She's definitely ailing at the moment, but she'll be on the mend soon enough.

Ahh, eye goop! The key to pathetic lookin' cats. I'm sure Team Butterdome will put her to rights very quickly. She's super personable in that video despite obviously not feeling her best.

I hope tree climbin' kitten has a happy ending too. I'm surprised that there's this much December kitten action.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Bud K ninja sword posted:

Hi. Sorry about the lack of update. Well didnt feel like climbing 30 feet in the dark regardless of whether or not i had safety climbing gear. We put out some food and kept checking on it while we called around. fire department wouldnt do it unless there was a fire (which i thought about briefly before discarding a felony thought) figured we would call a tree trimming company this morning or something. We put out some food and after wandering around the tree half the night with flashlights the kitten finally hopped the gently caress down giving me a heart attack. Then proceeded to try to attack when the lady tried to grab him. gonna put out some tuna baited live traps later to see if i can get him but this ones bigger and in much more energetic condition than the last one, and a bit more feral than friendly. Just glad its out the tree, kitten howling is the utter worst.

This is good news, good luck catching the little booger.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Chili posted:

She pooped! :woop: and she even did a great job burying it! :woop:

:cripes: This kitten is better than my adult cats!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Awww Jerky :kimchi: I wish I lived closer to Bmore, but she'll definitely find a good home. Nice work, Chili!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:catstare: lookit them lil furworms! Did you say you're hosting the mom too?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
That's awesome news. She knows what's hers. :3:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Where's the criminal's mugshot?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yup, that's a guilty face. Real mens rea right there.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Base Emitter posted:

Wanna call him Butterpat

That's a real good name for a real good kittem.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Looks like Grizzly has some company on the poofy bed.

He doesn't seem to mind.

:3: I'm glad Grizzly got some kitten pile buddies.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
A Bscotch muffin top. :3:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Mine was Maggie, which just wasn't suitable. She became Poyo, or boopcat. She answers to any slight sound or eye contact anyway.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Mine are fans of bonito flakes and dried sardines. Might work if you have either on hand for Japanese and Korean cooking. The sardines at least tend to be cheaper and o haven't found a cat who will reject them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Those are some pettable looking cats right there.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Roe :3: also seconding Coral.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

Not everyday you find one of these abandoned in the streets.

:ohdear: what a cutie

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

my cat is norris posted:

Like that's what's kept me away!! The Thunderdome is a scary place!

It's a magical place. :allears:

Peep this handsome lad from the vet where I take my two rescues. He's a rescue too!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Marchegiana posted:

I put my name on the list to foster so our SPCA can clear space for hurricane transfers. I wasn't planning on fostering again for a few months, but plans change I guess.

You're good people, Marchegiana.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My foster is doing G R E A T. She's so sweet and cuddly, doesn't get aggressive or anything. She loves pets and head bonks. She's still hesitant around my roommate, but if my roomie comes into my bedroom and sticks her hand out, my foster will bang her head all over her hand. She's just territorial, I guess, but she has started exploring the common areas when she thinks no one's watching. She's twelve, but she still plays with hair ties left on the floor and will gently smack at my fingers if I wiggle them.

old cats still love play! :kimchi: they just get tired faster and like a slower pace.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Don't open the door. Ever. It'll take potentially weeks for this to work, because a housecat has nothing but time and persistence and will condition you to obey. You must master the cat's tools and turn them against him.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm not big on cat terror methods since the stress can cause them to behave in odd ways and contribute to stress related illness. Teaching Butterscotch that he will be ignored is harder but ultimately kinder imo.

I figured locking him up probably isn't an option due to the floor plan not having soundproofed or distant enough spaces to effectively mute the inevitable insulted yowling too.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Ah! What a lovely bird. Good job, Chili!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Hey, adopting him out means you'll be able to keep fostering good dogs so they can be adopted in turn. It's bittersweet but also a tremendously good deed you're doing. Foster fails aren't bad but successful fostering is awesome.

What a handsome boy he is, too. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

coolusername posted:

So I'm doing my first foster. The (adult) cat is a former feral, but super cuddly - hell, the worst interruption to my sleep is that she cuddles SO hard that I'll wake up with her embracing my entire head like a hat and purring.

The problem is she uses her teeth and claws when playing because previous foster homes didn't... teach her not to. Straight up mauling and scratching and ignoring me when I yelp and push her away, and she'll randomly attack me to try and play with me.

My adoptee is like this. Yelping and then leaving help. She still ambushes my legs daily, but without claws anymore. The other tactic I've used is squishing her (gently) so that she's a bit compressed and mostly immobile but not like, in pain or having her breathing restricted. Sometimes I use a towel or blanket. She's an ornery little poo poo but corporal cuddles and the usual yelp and walk away have helped.

Ignoring on its own isn't enough, you have to leave her alone so she's deprived of you, her favorite toy. Make sure you've got appropriate toys to redirect her with before she gets psycho. Da bird is a classic.

Something I've noted with my idiot is that she can't be allowed to have a perch higher up than my head when I'm sitting or lounging and she also gets super territorial about lying on coats or clothes. All laundry has to be put away or she starts to think she's the boss and she gets mean.

Cat behavior is weird poo poo.