Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Oh jeez.

Okay, I was going to class today and ran into a tiny black streak harassing cars. I scooped the little dude up because it was a dangerous situation and brought him home.

I gave him a look over and he seems healthy, but very hungry. I'm not sure how old he is--his eyes are still blue but he has a leggy lean little body. I've fed him some cat milk and left out wet, dry, and some water too. Currently he's shut up in the bathroom yelling. We're picking up some formula just in case and a litter box for him.

Good news: I already may have found his owners by asking around the neighbourhood!

Bad news: They might have been arrested yesterday!

One woman I met said the kitten looks like her neighbours, but when I popped across the street to get paper for a note the man I spoke to said he also recognized the kitten...from being walked out with a small child by the police.

I left the note anyway, but I don't know what to do. I don't want to steal some kid's cat after their parents got arrested. I called my local police and there's no way for me to find out about the people in question due to privacy laws, which I think is fair, just sucks for me and them.

I already have a kitten (who is very confused right now) so I have plenty of cat supplies. Is there anything else I should do for the little guy? Does anyone have ideas for getting word out about him?

Picture tax to come when he stops blurring my camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Update on the stupid goblin living in my bathroom:

So the potential owners are...not interested, evidently. They didn't call despite the note I left and they have barricaded their front door shut. I don't think the barricade is related to the cat.

Would it be ethical to start trying to rehome her soon? She (pretty sure she's a girl) is a very energetic, friendly kitten who craves cuddling and attention. I'd say it shouldn't be so hard to find her a home, but the shelters here are all overflowing with kittens--which is one of several reasons I'm not giving her to Animal Control.

I just want to do the right thing by this kitten and even her deadbeat owners, if I can.

Also, if my existing kitten is barely hissing at her in a closed carrier, that's good, right? I think we might have this kitten for a while and it'd be nice to have our bathroom back.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

The kittens are warming up to each other, I think. We're doing short supervised visits and they seem to be trying a mixture of playing and slightly more serious wrasslin'. Goblin is the instigator, the little shithead :3:

Anyway, here are some pictures.

She's much more shiny than that now. I gave her a bath. I as in me singular, because this kitten does not give a gently caress. She crawls in the shower with us. She walks on Sticky Paws. She chases Spooky who is about twice her size. I have never seen her sleep. She shrieks like an infant harpy in the night. I am terrified of this kitten.

She's actually a doll, but definitely too energetic for her to mesh long-term with our current kitten, sadly. We also can't really afford another round of shots and spaying so soon after our first cat. ...I'm still tempted, mind you, but we're making an earnest effort to find her a good home before accepting defeat.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

The goblin has a home! A very nice grad student came by today, snuggled her once, and was instantly smitten. We packed up her meager possessions and sent her on her way. I'm so full of emotions, many of them mixed, but mostly I'm happy. I did a good thing for that kitten. You all do great things for pets, temporary or otherwise. I also kind of have a hankering for more work with kittens...

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

"I'm a meme?"

Just so you know, I introduced a house party full of people to the Butterscotch goodness. They all love him. Butterscotch is a universal language.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

"What the hell did I do? Killed them all, of course."

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

I ran the numbers on those pics...that's a VERY Good Dog.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Chili posted:

The kittens have been moving like this for the past ten minutes, and it's still going on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCpNER28msQ

Oh dear :3: such cat percolation.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Marchegiana posted:

Finally got some good photos of the kittens!

This is Frog, he's the one who got sick and had to be checked on- he's much better now, and if anything has gotten cuddlier. My sister described him best when she said "he has a face like a fat kid".

This is Toad- don't be fooled by the cuddly looks, this is actually the only good photo I got of him because he kept attacking my phone. I caught him mid-swipe at my hands.

This is Tadpole- as you can see he's the snugglebug of the group. He loves laps and purrs like crazy.

They go in for their vaccinations on the 5th, and at that time we'll get a weight on them and probably a date for their neuter. Judging by their size and how they're growing I expect they'll be adoptable by February.

Look at these goddamn cats! Those are some fuckin' A+ fluffy assholes if I ever seen such a thing.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

He only went the neighbours because he was driven by starvation, obviously. Chili has shrunk him down to a Margarinescotch and he's just trying to keep his folds vast and velvety.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Oh my God they are so precious :3: love that Christian rock band. You should make tiny white turtlenecks to complete the look, though.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Grizzly: girl

Teddy: boy

Gummi: girl

Polar: boy

Panda: girl

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Oh my goodness they're all boys :3: rowdy snuggly little bros!

Ahhh I love your kittens and soon (fingers crossed) I will have my own foster room. It's unseasonably warm so I might be taking the leap earlier than expected.

So, yeah, your threads and stories have an impact, Chili. Thank you.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Oh, Gummi!

You did a great job raising up that fat little kitty, Chili. I hope the sadness passes and the feeling of joy you get from fostering takes its place as quickly as is natural for you.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Bud K ninja sword posted:

but do you make up a middle or last name when you are really super serious?

Butterscotch Fabio Emmanuel Esquire, first of his name.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

When I feel overwhelmed by the amount of animals, people, and things out there that need help, I like to reflect on this starfish story:

quote:

One day an old man was walking along the beach. It was low tide, and the sand was littered with thousands of stranded starfish that the water had carried in and then left behind.

The man began walking very carefully so as not to step on any of the beautiful creatures. Since the animals still seemed to be alive, he considered picking some of them up and putting them back in the water, where they could resume their lives.

The man knew the starfish would die if left on the beach's dry sand but he reasoned that he could not possibly help them all, so he chose to do nothing and continued walking.

Soon afterward, the man came upon a small child on the beach who was frantically throwing one starfish after another back into the sea. The old man stopped and asked the child, "What are you doing?"

"I'm saving the starfish," the child replied.

"Why waste your time? There are so many you can't save them all, so what does it matter?" argued the man.

Without hesitation, the child picked up another starfish and tossed the starfish back into the water.

"It matters to this one," the child said.

You can't save every starfish, but you can save some, and the more people saving starfish, the more starfish we can save. If you burn yourself out on starfish, though, you end up not being to help any anymore.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Bud K ninja sword posted:

same, just dont know whether im the old man or the kid :smithfrog:

If you have to ask, you're the kid. The question doesn't even occur to the old man.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Pie seems like a sweet, slightly derpy cat and Peaches is more of a sassy bossy cat, am I more or less right?

Also, when they're together, you must realize they're Peach Pie.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

...she's not...she's not stuck there, is she?

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

I like how you call her chill directly underneath a picture of her gnawing your arm.

Edit: What an awful first post! I will put pictures of my ~*first foster*~ in here tomorrow morning, how about that?

P.S. I'm getting my first foster tomorrow, I am so nervous but excited.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Edit: no what is happening

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

This picture is blurry because it's the only one I was able to grab between him headbutting my hand for petting and meowing like a rusty hinge. This is Val, and he just finished a bunch of surgery to fix his face. I think he turned out quite handsome. :3:

He has cat dandruff, should I expect that to go away with better food? I've got him on Wellness Core canned and Orijin dry.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Bah, I'll just wipe him down for his glamour shots then. I have a feeling I won't have a cat this good for very long.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Currently when I peek at my foster, she stares at me with more curiosity than dread, and the other day when I slid the food dish under her hiding place, she briefly stopped staring at me to glance over at the food. She didn't wait till I was gone to start eating.

It's been three weeks and I'm calling it progress!

That counts! Letting you see her eat and be slightly vulnerable is a big step for a cat. You're no longer definitely planning to eat her, only probably planning to eat her.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Is that belly as plush as it looks? :allears:

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Sorry (except not) for the constant updates,

I love these stories and am fascinated by the advancement of your hiding cat :3:

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

I took Valentine away to the adoption centre. The shelter I volunteer for runs adoptions out of the local Petsmart.

I didn't realize I'd be this sad. I'm happy too, I know he'll find a wonderful home with people who love him, but I'm still going to miss his creaky meow. He finally purred for me last night.

This is normal, yeah? It'll pass? I hope I don't end up going back on Tuesday to get him.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

sorry about the new avatar guys, apparently i have made someone angry with me. I will most likely change it back at some point. as an apology here is a good catte

??? That red text is not as wicked an own as I think someone thought it was.

Good cat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Radio! posted:

I will never pass up an opportunity to talk about my dumb cat on the internet!

Such majesty...