Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER
What a happy creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

EARS

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Chili posted:

Alrighty, let's have an update:

Peaches and Pie are doing well. Pie has her dental surgery this upcoming week and we've agreed to look after them while she recovers, so what initially was going to be a one-week stay ended up being around 2 months (kinda typical.)

I cleaned out their room today which meant displacing them from the foster room, BRIEFLY and they both had very strong feelings about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G-SnKHe_14

I wonder if there's an abandoned cat instinct to hiding in small places (or just a cat instinct) - my cat was a street girl, and she always seems most secure when she's under something. When I made the dreadful mistake of trying to take her to the vet my mom goes to and let her out in the bathroom in case she needed to piss, she hid right under the toilet.

e: Her daughters like to go on top of things, for some reason. They never hide under things.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Pander posted:

gotta have more sushi names

maki
nori
tamago

I support sushi names. Tobiko, Ika, and Unagi for whichever one is the squirmiest.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER
I'm going to be moving in a few months and losing the cats I've taken care of for a few years. Because of this, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should start fostering or re-adopt the cat that I rehomed a couple of years ago with my mom. I would like to know if it is a stupid idea to try to do both.

The reason why I think it might be a good idea is that the cat, Konstantina/Little Bit/the baby cat, gets along very well with other cats. She grew up with her mother and sister before she was rehomed, and has been consistently trying to make friends with my mom's cat. My mom's cat is more solitary, so that's why I want to take her, and I want to make sure that she has friends. However, I don't want to permanently adopt a cat without having some adjustment period. Though I think I might be coming at this with ignorance, I also think that if the cats didn't get along then I could at least be safe in the knowledge that the cat got a home that agreed with them.

I can work from home.

There are obvious flaws in this, and I want to know if they're as bad as I think they are.
- I'm going to be living in a 1BR, though I would definitely have two litter boxes.
- I can only home cats that can deal with other cats. This would limit me to adults, though I have impossible fantasies of the baby cat becoming the baby foster mom.
- What if I find the baby cat a best friend and foster fail? :ohdear:

What other issues am I not considering?

Picture tax, baby cat:

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

sneakyfrog posted:

:neckbeard: yay

well dog went to the vet, other than being 10-15 pounds underweight she is in good health. Got all her shots and stuff, they asked ladyfrog what her name was and she said fish.

so I guess we have a cat named dog and a dog named fish

It happens. Our cats are Newt and Toad. Not from the same litter, surprisingly.

I don't know if it's appropriate for me to talk about Newt here? I adopted her from a shelter, and she is pretty buttery. (when I got her a month ago she was 15.4lb on what is probably a 10lb fame, looks like a tsuchinoko when she runs)

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

spookygonk posted:

We need video.

It's hard to get video because she looks most like one when she's darting under the bed, as she does when she encounters anything mildly distasteful. Hopefully this will do as a teaser for now.

I got Newt about a month ago. I went to a shelter to look at another cat, but I ended up wandering around and finding her. When I opened the cage, I started petting her. Then she kept straining to keep my hand on her head as I scritched. She's seven, and her old owners gave her up when they got a new kitten. When I found her she'd been in the shelter for over five months and gained a point. She's lost half a pound at this point.

As a newt, she is amphibious. She puts one paw in it and leans down to drink the water from the bowl. Like an idiot.

Appropriately ashamed.

I've had cats before, but never one this gentle or sweet. In spite of her size she doesn't really complain for food and can be easily distracted with catnip, see first picture. It's hard to get her to play - even the stuff she does like only interests her moderately. Does anyone have any tips for this?

She sleeps right next to my head and gently paws at me when she wants to be pet. Her purr is a loud little trill. Also, she is remarkably tolerant of things that I put on her.

Including the dog's sweater. She doesn't like the dog yet, but he keeps a respectful distance.

The surrender form said she didn't get along with cats, but after about a week she and my roommate's cat, Toad, were cordial. They sit next to each other, give sniffs.

I have several dozen pics of her at this point. I feel like the parent of a newborn child. A cloud child. A sheep child.

This post is already too long. So this is all for now.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Belly floof of the gods!

It's kind of a trap. But all of her white fur is reeeeally soft, and you can stick your face in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Dewgy posted:

This sounds like my Mrr. You just got a chill cat is all. I love those nose dots, omg. :3:

Maybe try Da Bird if she needs the exercise though, that one seems to set something off even in the laziest of cats if you move it right.

They're one of those really good things about her that don't make any sense.

I've tried that type of toy and she's not that into it, but I could find another kind. She kind of likes her little cardboard tube on a wire.