Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Newbies, take heed of cautionary tale! Use the Outfits function to manage gear!! You can even use long names to denote what buffs you should use with a particular suit of gear. I can never remember what the hell to use for all the different activities in the game because optimization is complicated and fraught with possible dumb newbie mistakes, but with Outfits you can keep things organized.

Also I just discovered that the "Notes" feature exists and should jot down my stuff in there instead of in a notepad file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
:coal: december to :swole: january is a good and cool change that should happen

we can have daily fitness chat in world

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 10, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Hey newbies, if you're not 5 Magic yet, go grab Bottles of Lightning, Frog Legs, and Potions of the Stars from the guild stash and bumrush your way to 5 Magic. RWSA made a bunch of Potions of the Stars, if you're brand spanking new, grab like 30-35 Potions, get the quest to make White Runes, crank out White Runes until the quest is done, complete the quest, then keep cranking out White Runes until you hit 5 Magic.

Similarly, if you're getting close to 15 Magic and want to just get it over and done with because levels ~11-14 Magic take FOREVER, grab some poo poo out of the mana stash and make runes.

Lastly, if you've binged on Magic and want to pay back into the stash, some accessible options for doing so are:

Potion of the Stars: Starfish (you can get them from fishing Halfmoons) and filled Bota Bags (Bota Bags made with Animal Hides, and our Tailors will love you forever if you get them hides), Pine Logs and White Sandstone for Empty Bottles. Filling Bota Bags has the side effect of producing Purple Snails that we can use for Escargot, as well.

Bottle of Lightning: Pine Logs and White Sandstone for Empty Bottles, Stingray Skins for Kites if you have 36 Fishing, talk to some of the veterans about what to do to set up for Storms if you have 25 Speed and want to RIDE THE LIGHTNING

Frog Legs: Spotted Treefrog from Bamboo, Palm, and Coconut chopping, Garlic from Hiking In The Woods in Disenchanted Forest, Butter from Churning Milk in Cadenberge (and thus Milk from Milking Cows in Cadenberge Pasture, and thus Pine Logs and White Sandstone for Empty Bottles), or Rice from Extensions if you have 39 Gathering.

Escargot: Purple Snails from various fishing and Filling Bota Bags, Garlic from Hiking in Disenchanted Forest, Lumps of Butter (same as for Frog Legs)

Potion of Insight: Purple Snails cook into Escargot and Crushed Shells for Potions of Insight. Also Filled Bota Bags, Empty Bottles, and, if you have 15 Mining, Lumps of Coal.

Fishing, Cooking, and Alchemy are the primary skills for helping make mana stuff, with Gathering, Speed, and Tailoring as secondaries. Mining/Woodcutting/Smithing help with Glass Bottles, but we use those in a ton of supply chains so they're not as mana-grind specific.

Other manafoods that you're welcome to (but are harder for newbies to help with) include Northern Salads, Potions of Clarity, Raw Sea Urchins, and most things on the list of foods on the Magic skill page in the manual. If you're a little farther along and have the skills to help with that stuff instead, go for it!

In the end, if you're not sure what to do, poke around the manual at the pages for things that restore mana (look here)and the ingredients involved in making those things. At the bottom of any item's manual entry it shows how much we, as a Guild, have in various storages. If something looks like we're low or out of it, go make more of it happen and toss it in the appropriate storage. Alternately, ask in chat! The 'movers and shakers' in guild are just knowledgeable, nice folk that lots of us listen to because they know what they're talking about and are happy to help people figure the game out.

Goons who know this stuff better than I do, lemme know if I screwed anything up and I'll edit accordingly.

Bigedit: Now that you're a cool Wizard, how to be awesome at Magic!

Oh yeah, I forgot to write about this before! Once you've got Magic rolling and can do cool stuff with it, there's ways to make your Magic work (way) better. Primarily in the form of Spell Duration! Look on this page at everything that lists Spell Duration. Use the Outfit system in game to put together a Spell Buffing suit. A Superior Basic Spellbook plus 5 pieces of Snail Gear is a good start - please only take one of each, we have enough that we should be able to hand them out to most everyone if people only take one. You'll only be wearing them while casting spells, and wearing the full suit will give you an extra 10 minutes. When we have them, Festive Gloves are an upgrade over Snail Gloves and will give you +5 Spell Duration instead of +2, but Snail Gloves are also good and fine.

Having an extra 10 minutes on spell buffs gets you an extra two cycles of mana per time you buff, which is about enough to support an extra buff each time you buff, which winds up being an average -2 to your timer on whatever you're doing, which is pretty cool! Just make sure you also set up an Outfit for your gear that you normally cut wood, mine, fish, etc in and switch back, because Snail gear is difficult to replace if it breaks on you and taking it off after you buff up is a good way to minimize breakage.

Additionally, help yourself to Apple Ciders, Bacon Wrapped Trout, and Potions of Enduring Flame!! I always feel like "oh probably other goons know better how to use this stuff" but that's wrong, as long as you're doing something that fully uses the item (ie don't buff with like 90 minute spell buffs then go AFK and hit botcheck 5 minutes later and waste 85 minutes of buffs) you're using it just fine. None of those items do anyone any good just sitting in guild storage going unused, so use them!

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 17, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Xerol will you add my magic writeup to the OP if it is written to your satisfaction? I don't want it to get lost because several goons have said in gchat that they wished they had seen something like it when they were starting out.

If it needs more work, lemme know.

E: Hey Goons help work on the KnowledgeBase document!! Bug Xerol for an edit link if you want one and write stuff up about whatever corner of the game you know well and want to write about. Ideally we can have newbie guides for every skill up to like 15-20.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 17, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
how is spending the better part of an hour fantasizing about kidnapping, raping, and torturing women not banworthy or at least a loving permanent mute from world chat

christ

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
you guys loving with madsanta is beautiful

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kluliss posted:

apparently Thor thought I'd sympathise with their lovely GMing job

I mean, I might be taking this a little harder than I should, I have had bad news today, but it still felt extremely inappropriate to have a GM complaining about my guildies to me.

I've mailed Grumpy but *shrugs*

Also, seriously, make WCW excellent rather than a shitfest of warnings and mutes please?

Yeah Thor is pretty bad at being a mod

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

wait can you no longer do fuckin anything with magic until level 38 or some poo poo?

e: nm

isn't that mostly a good thing? most durations went up

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 15, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
lol i remember looking at a bunch of the pub guilds' advertisements about benefits and requirements and going "oh, it's a pyramid scheme. Huh, why would anyone join that?"

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Sal

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Colin Mockery posted:

I’ve been careposting at Grumpy about poo poo and at least with the dude who got muted for (jokingly, but still) calling someone a pillow biter, Grumpy told me that this time when someone in egoose called for mod intervention, he googled the term to see what’s up (he thought Pancake was trolling before, because he’s dumb idk).

Also, I think he got his feelings hurt a little but still understood my point when he asked for examples and I dropped a bunch of screenshots on him from the beginning of the thread, pointed out that his community is full of unrepentant bigots, and then used Kamaki (we love you and miss you, Kamaki) as an example of “here is a good player who left because the mods suck and the player base is worse” and said that it was basically a result of his bad moderation.

So he’s trying a little harder on that front now. Try to be patient with him and try to explain things in small words, with examples, if something he does (or doesn’t do) seems unfair. Expect moderation to be stricter in the future.

Fighting the good fight, good work. Tbh part of the reason I left was because the appeal of a MUD is (to me) mostly in the community. I love Goons but there's only so many of us and the game's boring as poo poo when guild chat is dead and all that's scrolling by in my chat window is stupid trash in World chat that makes me want to leave.

Well, that, and my work started blocking Amaranthine :mad: But I'd have more interest in playing at home while I'm on my computer (or when I'm working from home) if World weren't a dumpster fire.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
oh my god this game's pubbies are aggressively horrendous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mr. Pickles posted:

bump to let y'all know that the few persisent goons who still play this every day (I am not one of them) will soon manage to go #1 guild in the whole game

get in there and be a part of it

It's happening!? Let's gooooo

Will absolutely log in this weekend and do whatever a defunct mostly newbie account can do to help. Doesn't matter what you need me to do, point me at things and I'll jump in it

I'm so proud of you wild bastards, praise the cone