Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!
My first AI post. Woohoo. Always lurked a bit here and it seems like a pretty cool section with some really knowledgeable posters.

I've got a 2006 Scion xB which has been plowing wind as efficiently as an 18 wheeler driving backwards for 167,000 miles since I purchased it in 2007. Wind plow jokes aside the thing has actually been the most reliable vehicle I've owned. Nothing beyond routine maintenance ever done to the thing and it has never broken down, failed to start, etc. TLDR, I love this car.

Anyway, wifey drives it primarily now and I hadn't given it some love for a while. Over the weekend I gave it a very detailed washing and waxing. I've always kept reasonably up with wax jobs on my vehicles and in return I've never seen a spot of rust or of paint degrading on any of them. Having seen so many miles, though, this vehicle has a fair number of chips through the paint accumulated through various years of rocks and whatnot pelting it on the highway.

During yesterday's wash I realized that 2 or 3 of these chips are now rusting. One is along the front of the hood. Another is on the roof. Paint around the rust is in great condition, not wearing or thinning at all, but the exposed body where the rock chipped fully through the paint is now filled with rust. None is larger than perhaps 4mm in diameter.

I've never had to deal with rust on any of my vehicles. How much trouble am I in for here? I googled and found everything from people saying 'CHOP IT ALL OFF' to products made for chemically converting the rust to a more stable/paintable compound. Before doing anything doofy to the vehicle I figured it best to ask if someone had some real world advice for this. Do I really need to sand a section of the body down around it and re-prime/paint/clearcoat for such a small chip? Is there a compound to put over it that is acceptable or is that just a dream?

We have plans to keep this vehicle indefinitely. It's a little workhorse and I can't hardly get my wife to let me drive it anymore because she has now claimed it as her own. What's the most practical approach that will both last and also not have me doing something more drastic than necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Some of the nicer touch-up pens (such as the ones sold at the dealer) come with a fiberglass scratch brush included. Generally, you use the scratch brush to get rid of all the rust in the chip, down to bare metal, and then touch it up as directed. As long as you get it all, it should not be a problem in the future after the clean metal is sealed in by the paint.

There are also some paint shops that specialize in this kind of work. Try searching for "paint chip repair" and your city.

• Locked thread