Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Driver

In 1999, something beautiful happened. Game critics and consumers alike came together to praise Driver, a game which would've (and has) gotten a firm lashing in any other era of gaming. It was exciting, and new, and it did things no other games did! Fully-functioning, realistic 3d cities! The best handling in any driving game to date! Things that seem obsolete by today's standards, but were an incredible novelty. But, there is a lot more to Driver than its headlining features. The gameplay has aged incredibly well, and yes, in spite of Grand Theft Auto, there's still nothing quite like it.

It is the start of what I consider to be the Best Driving Game Series™. Even if you're not a fan of the later games, it's good to see where it all started, no?

Videos:

1. The Great Bank Robbery
2. The Briefcase
3. The Escapist
4. Extortion
5. Inside Job
6. The Silent Partner
7. Scared Straight
8. Heli
9. Ransom
10. The Perfect Set-Up
11. Cop Car
12. Hit Man
13. Beverly Hills Cop
14. True Romance
15. The Driver

Extras:

Courier Crisis

LEGO Driver

Cheat Codes

That's everything!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Man, this game was great. That music and the gratuitous boxes to drive through in alleyways :allears: The film director was amazing for a PS1 game, are you planning on using it to show off some missions?

I don't remember the pop-in being so bad though, holy crap.

Also, the training mission really wasn't that bad. It was pretty tough but after a few attempts it was fine.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Spalec posted:

Man, this game was great. That music and the gratuitous boxes to drive through in alleyways :allears: The film director was amazing for a PS1 game, are you planning on using it to show off some missions?

I don't remember the pop-in being so bad though, holy crap.

Also, the training mission really wasn't that bad. It was pretty tough but after a few attempts it was fine.

I didn't think the training mission was all that bad either, but some people gave up playing right ther,e so I thought it was worth mentioning.

I'll use the director mode at some point, don't worry, it's a pretty great feature.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I never played the original, but I played Driv3r. As weird and lovely as Driv Three Ar could be, I still found the physics hilariously fun and loved playing around with the director mode in it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

I never played the original, but I played Driv3r. As weird and lovely as Driv Three Ar could be, I still found the physics hilariously fun and loved playing around with the director mode in it.

I unironically enjoyed Driv3r, but I definitely understand why the third person shooting would turn people off.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Oh god I still have nightmares from that training mission! I will never understand how it got through the playtesting process in that state.

The rest of the game is pretty cool though, I played this when it originally came out and if I remember I got my first 3D (some kind of Voodoo I guess) card for it!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

ivantod posted:

Oh god I still have nightmares from that training mission! I will never understand how it got through the playtesting process in that state.
I assume it must have been a late addition to the campaign and wasn't playtested properly (or at all, like the final mission reportedly wasn't).

I remember seeing a review of Driver in Games Master and being massively jealous of PSX owners. I could've bought the PC version later that same year when we got a decent computer, but I never got the demo to run so I must've been worrying about the game not working either. Driver ended up being one of the first PSX games (possibly the first) I bought for my launch PS2 and I played the hell out of it, never finished it though because it got just a little bit hard towards the end.

My favorite Reflections game is still Stuntman, though. That's another brutally hard game, but it was so satisfying to get close to all those explosions and successfully land a big stunt jump after 58 attempts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

I assume it must have been a late addition to the campaign and wasn't playtested properly (or at all, like the final mission reportedly wasn't).

I remember seeing a review of Driver in Games Master and being massively jealous of PSX owners. I could've bought the PC version later that same year when we got a decent computer, but I never got the demo to run so I must've been worrying about the game not working either. Driver ended up being one of the first PSX games (possibly the first) I bought for my launch PS2 and I played the hell out of it, never finished it though because it got just a little bit hard towards the end.

My favorite Reflections game is still Stuntman, though. That's another brutally hard game, but it was so satisfying to get close to all those explosions and successfully land a big stunt jump after 58 attempts.

Stuntman is baller and we need a current LP of it. It also made Driver 3 easier for me because they use the same engine so the driving is really similar.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

chitoryu12 posted:

Stuntman is baller and we need a current LP of it. It also made Driver 3 easier for me because they use the same engine so the driving is really similar.

There's already a fantastic LP of Stuntman here: http://lparchive.org/Stuntman/

He 100% every mission too!

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Unfortunately all of TyrantSabre's videos were uploaded to blip.tv so his herculean task is now vanished :(

Edit: Oh poo poo, they're archived!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Tacopocalypse posted:

Unfortunately all of TyrantSabre's videos were uploaded to blip.tv so his herculean task is now vanished :(

Edit: Oh poo poo, they're archived!

Don't worry you're not the only one who misses that big red banner on top. It's practically a running joke at this point. :v:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I also loved Stuntman, but I prefered Ignition, even though it wasn't made by Reflections.

I wish I could say Stuntman prepares you for the Driver series, but really the strict linearity of Stuntman is an entirely different kind of difficult from what Driver expects.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Having only ever played Driver on PC it is always weird seeing the PSX version. I say that mainly because of the fact that on the PC everything is smooth, it does not look janky ever, so even thought everything is boxy everything is still smooth.

Also back when my computer wasn't so great the hubcaps were still rendered as blue squares but they would still rotate, so cars were driving on rotating blue squares :lol:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Aces High posted:

Having only ever played Driver on PC it is always weird seeing the PSX version. I say that mainly because of the fact that on the PC everything is smooth, it does not look janky ever, so even thought everything is boxy everything is still smooth.

Also back when my computer wasn't so great the hubcaps were still rendered as blue squares but they would still rotate, so cars were driving on rotating blue squares :lol:

The PC version apparently plays differently in some respects, so I wanted to stick with something I knew a lot more intimately.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've only played San Francisco in this series, so it's interesting to see this gameplay in, like, a single car.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

The PC version apparently plays differently in some respects, so I wanted to stick with something I knew a lot more intimately.
Apparently, it also has completely different music. That alone is reason enough to stick with the PSX version. :colbert:

Driver: San Francisco is a fantastic game, by the way. I would like it even more as a straight-up modern version of Driver without the whole Quantum Leap thing, but the driving model is possibly the best I've seen in any open world game and all the optional chase missions are an absolute joy to play. Just for the hell of it, here's a video I made for the old Driver: SF LP thread a few years back, using PSX Driver 1 music because gently caress yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QZE89GrzFE

(sorry about the frame rate drops in a couple of places, having the graphics at max detail while recording turned out to be a bit too much for my old laptop)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Friend of mine had Driver, and we drove around a bit in free driving mode (or whatever it's called), and I liked it well enough for a GTA without getting out and shooting people (:v:), then I asked him "but isn't there...a story to it?" and he was like "yeah, I guess. If you really want to, you can try."

Suffice to say, the tutorial quickly told me why he didn't consider Driver to be anything but a "drive around a city aimlessly" simulator.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

alcharagia posted:

I've only played San Francisco in this series, so it's interesting to see this gameplay in, like, a single car.

I'm glad that San Francisco re-popularized the series, even if it proceeded to die immediately after being repopularized

Doc Morbid posted:

Apparently, it also has completely different music. That alone is reason enough to stick with the PSX version. :colbert:

Driver: San Francisco is a fantastic game, by the way. I would like it even more as a straight-up modern version of Driver without the whole Quantum Leap thing, but the driving model is possibly the best I've seen in any open world game and all the optional chase missions are an absolute joy to play. Just for the hell of it, here's a video I made for the old Driver: SF LP thread a few years back, using PSX Driver 1 music because gently caress yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QZE89GrzFE

(sorry about the frame rate drops in a couple of places, having the graphics at max detail while recording turned out to be a bit too much for my old laptop)

I love that no matter what take of a Driver: SF mission someone has, there's always crazy poo poo in it.

Simply Simon posted:

Friend of mine had Driver, and we drove around a bit in free driving mode (or whatever it's called), and I liked it well enough for a GTA without getting out and shooting people (:v:), then I asked him "but isn't there...a story to it?" and he was like "yeah, I guess. If you really want to, you can try."

Suffice to say, the tutorial quickly told me why he didn't consider Driver to be anything but a "drive around a city aimlessly" simulator.

I think if I played it as a kid I would understand that feeling, but I got hold of it when I was old enough to brain harder.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Mhm we were like 12 - if it was, like, our only game we might have sat down and learned it (we tried a little but urgh), but we had other options so went "gently caress it" real quick. Today, with vastly more experience in video games, I reckon it wouldn't be that much of a problem to do it eventually. Still a pain, though. It's also not really a "tutorial", it doesn't teach you anything. It demands almost perfection right off the bat, that's insane. To this day probably the worst opening of any game I've ever played.

EDIT: vvvvv I must have missed that in my desire to play the story just once...

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 24, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Simply Simon posted:

Mhm we were like 12 - if it was, like, our only game we might have sat down and learned it (we tried a little but urgh), but we had other options so went "gently caress it" real quick. Today, with vastly more experience in video games, I reckon it wouldn't be that much of a problem to do it eventually. Still a pain, though. It's also not really a "tutorial", it doesn't teach you anything. It demands almost perfection right off the bat, that's insane. To this day probably the worst opening of any game I've ever played.

Well, there is a training mode where it shows you exactly how to perform the maneuvers that the intro demands.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

EDIT: vvvvv I must have missed that in my desire to play the story just once...

Yeah, I didn't even speak english when I tried playing the game, so I didn't even really know what it wanted from me. Fortunately the cracked version I had had some of the missions / modes unlocked without playing the tutorial or something, so I actually liked it despite not knowing any of the mechanics.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.
Explosions.

Re: Driver, I rented it one time, couldn't get through the first mission, returned it and forgot all about the series. Then I went and got Stuntman, because that was clearly much easier.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

TyrantSabre posted:

Explosions.

Re: Driver, I rented it one time, couldn't get through the first mission, returned it and forgot all about the series. Then I went and got Stuntman, because that was clearly much easier.

Your post made me laugh, so thank you for it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

2. The Briefcase

It's time to get serious. Serious driving for serious.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This game had checkpoints before GTA? :drat:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The Driver series did a lot of things GTA is well known for, it's just that GTA popularized it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I tried the original game when it came out and couldn't get past the training mission, and thought Driver 2 controlled like rear end (only tried that one a couple of years ago) but I loved San Fransisco for the incidental dialogue jumping into the other cars:

"Mom... what are you doing? :gonk:"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I tried the original game when it came out and couldn't get past the training mission, and thought Driver 2 controlled like rear end (only tried that one a couple of years ago) but I loved San Fransisco for the incidental dialogue jumping into the other cars:

"Mom... what are you doing? :gonk:"

I think Driver 2 controls pretty good, but I'm used to driving with a D-Pad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Honestly, it's not hard to be more "advanced" than GTA. Up until GTA V, the series was notorious for missing gameplay tweaks and useful functions that had already become commonplace. They didn't get a cover system until GTA IV in 2008, which also had a really primitive checkpoint system in that you could restart a mission from the beginning right after failing. Vice City had a taxi outside the hospital to take you back to a mission location if you failed and San Andreas let you skip a few long drives if you fail a mission a few times, but otherwise as late as 2006 with Vice City Stories there was no cover system and you had to drive back to a mission location to restart it from the beginning if you failed. In San Andreas, it's sometimes preferable to just reload a save than waste effort driving or flying halfway across San Andreas to try again.

GTA was still always fun, which is why the games have consistently debuted strong and each installment has only been more popular since GTA III set the standard for sandbox games. But they were always undeniably primitive until the latest installment and it always felt like the gunplay was inferior to the driving.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The GTA IV expansions finally got a checkpoint system that didn't take you to the beginning of the mission, but it was never added into the main game for some reason.

I always just reloaded my save in the old GTA games, because when you used the retry or trip skip options you still lost all your weapons and armor and had no chance of completing the mission.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

The GTA IV expansions finally got a checkpoint system that didn't take you to the beginning of the mission, but it was never added into the main game for some reason.

I always just reloaded my save in the old GTA games, because when you used the retry or trip skip options you still lost all your weapons and armor and had no chance of completing the mission.

I think the main game had the checkpoint system, but only for a handful of missions that were especially long. All of the checkpoints and the quick mission restarts still required the player to intentionally use the in-game phone to select it after respawning or waiting after the mission failure indicator had gone away, rather than just letting them immediately revert back.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

That may be the case, I'm not sure because by that point I was so accustomed to just loading my save that I didn't bother using the mission restarts.

If I ever end up doing that LP of GTA IV I've occasionally considered, I guess I'll find out then.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

3. The Escapist

Our first chase mission!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Did you know Driver 1 had a GBC port?

And Driver 2 had a GBA port?

The Driver 2 port is especially impressive. Had better draw distance and frame-rate than the PS1 Driver 1.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Croccers posted:

The Driver 2 port is especially impressive. Had better draw distance and frame-rate than the PS1 Driver 1.
Which, from what I've seen, isn't really saying much. :v: Still pretty impressive, though. EDIT: I thought you meant Driver 2 on PS1!

Stuntman also had a GBA port. I haven't been masochistic enough to try that one, but I think some reviews at the time mentioned it being easier than the PS2 version.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I dunno, I'd debate that the GBA still had a better draw distance than 2 on the PS1 as well.
I forget about Stuntman, which is odd because I played quite a bit of that and it was actually quite drat good.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

4. Extortion

It is time to destroy a man's business and obtain illegal goods while also killing a couple cops.

We're the good guys tho

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Are you planning to do the other games in the series? I can't remember anything about Driver 2 or thankfully enough 3 and I never played Renegade or Parallel Lines but did play San Francisco. I do remember this game's final mission being drat near impossible though.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Are you planning to do the other games in the series? I can't remember anything about Driver 2 or thankfully enough 3 and I never played Renegade or Parallel Lines but did play San Francisco. I do remember this game's final mission being drat near impossible though.

I would absolutely love to play the rest of the series. (Even Driv3r, permitting my sanity allows it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Driv3r if only for the physics. Especially on the rail shooting missions where you get a grenade launcher and cars (and car parts) just go flying everywhere.

• Locked thread