Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Welcome to the April AusPol Thread!

If you're reading this you are presumably interested in Australian Politics. If you've never given the subject serious thought before, consider Taking a quiz to see where you may fall on the political spectrum.

~Cast of Characters~

Australia's Prime Minister is Kevin Rudd Julia Gillard Kevin Rudd Tony Abbott Malcolm Turnbull, who took over as leader of the Liberal Party after a 2015 spill. His rode into power after a series of unpopular controversies (a disastrously received budget, knighting Prince Philip, choppergate... ) by his predecessor Tony Abbott.

The Coalition are the group of centre-right parties that hold Government. The main partners are the Liberal Party (the de factor leader) and the National Party (representing Rural voters). Their currently sit at ~43% of the vote. Their greatest enemy is likely to be Tony Abbott's "they're still using my policies" press releases.

The Liberal Party believes

... we work towards a lean government that minimises interference in our daily lives; and maximises individual and private sector initiative...In government that nurtures and encourages its citizens through incentive, rather than putting limits on people through the punishing disincentives of burdensome taxes and the stifling structures of Labor's corporate state and bureaucratic red tape.

In those most basic freedoms of parliamentary democracy - the freedom of thought, worship, speech and association. In a just and humane society in which the importance of the family and the role of law and justice is maintained.

That, wherever possible, government should not compete with an efficient private sector; and that businesses and individuals - not government - are the true creators of wealth and employment.

In preserving Australia's natural beauty and the environment for future generations.

Like all political parties, how closely their actions align with the above is a matter of debate.

The Australian Labor Party, rumoured to be led by Bill Shorten, is the primary opposition at ~29.5% of the vote. Traditionally backed by unions they stand for

We respect the liberalism of a vital democracy and we fight to ensure that freedom is best given
expression in equal opportunity, a decent social safety net and the alleviation of poverty wherever
we find it.

We believe in the fair distribution of wealth and we embrace responsibility for its creation. For
Labor, the choice between a strong economy and a fair society is always a false one. We know each
is the precondition for the other and each supports the other.

We look at the world differently to our opponents: we see it through the eyes of those without
privilege, power or title.

We celebrate immigration, we cherish the miracle of multiculturalism and we believe in an
Australia where migrants, refugees and people of all traditions and faiths, or no faith, are
respected, valued, welcome and equal.

The Greens, led by Richard Di Natale support environmentalism and social justice. At ~8% primary vote their support has previously helped minority governments hold office. They Believe:

Climate change represents one of the greatest threats to international peace and security... Environmental degradation caused by climate change impacts will increasingly result in the displacement of people, undermining global peace and security.

Protecting common interests, including the need to conserve natural resources and public assets for future generations, should take priority where these conflict with private interests. Governments should ensure that corporations reflect and act on the concerns and interests of all stakeholders including citizens of countries in which they operate...we support a transition to a thriving economy based on 100% renewable energy which will create new jobs and improve living standards.

Governments have an essential role in regulating markets and ensuring that any externalities are reflected in market prices of goods and services. In a mixed economy, markets that function well and are well informed, fair, efficient and competitive, have an important role in the allocation of resources

Growing inequality of wealth is of concern and should be addressed though the tax system.

~Bit Players~

The Liberal Democratic Party have a single Senator, David Leyonhjelm, who was elected by donkey voters and people trying to vote for the Liberal Party. As a Libertarian he supports same-sex marriage, firearms ownership, and small government in general.

Palmer United briefly had several senators before imploding into a Democrat-sized void.

Ricky Muir, of the Motoring Enthusiast Party, was elected as Senator despite having no prior political experience. Despite earning 0.5% of the primary vote a number of preference-harvesting microparties pushed him to 14.3%.

Bullet Train for Australia would like a Bullet Train for Australia.

The Issues

Australia may be looking at a Double Dissolution. This is a special Election where both the Senate and the House of Reps are dissolved/re-elected and is intended to resolve deadlocks between the two. This is a risky move as historically it hasn't worked out well for the incumbent government.

Refugees

Australia is a party to the UN Refugee Convention and is therefore obliged to grant asylum to bona-fie refugees, and may not return refugees to a place where their life or freedom may be threatened. This policy has not been a big hit with the average Australian and successive governments have campaigned on ways to "Stop the Boats".

actual Australian Government Pamphlet

Australia detains people in a variety of camps while they "undergo an assessment process, including security and health checking, to establish if they have a legitimate reason for staying in Australia". To date there have been 38 deaths in custody including 18 confirmed or suspected suicides.

North Queensland Independence

A number of MPs have proposed a separate state of North Queensland. The resulting state would have more people than Tasmania, and would not be governed by a premier focused on South-East Qld.

Tax System Overhaul

After the idea of raising the GST was floating and squashed, the government has proposed letting States set their own Income Tax.

Same-sex Marriage
Polls show people support it. Should we spend a few hundred million dollars running a plebiscite, just to make sure?

Some Light Reading

Why you Can't "Waste Your Vote" in Australia. Go ahead and vote for the microparty of your dreams.

New Matilda!
Catallaxy!
Green Left Weekly!
the IPA!
RedFlag!

Things Auspol Cares about

If you are new to the thread and bored, consider opening a discussion on

*Is Nuclear Power the best way to reduce greenhouse emissions? Is it safe?

*Mandatory Bicycle Helmets: Essential safety device or nanny-state gone mad?

*Bottled Water, should it be legal?

*Is it OK to decorate buses with Christmas decorations given Australia isn't a Christian country?

*Unlawful vs Illegal - Is there a difference?

*How can we revive the Australian Democrats?

Finally, a Friendly Reminder

Auspol can get pretty depressing at times, but we still live in one of the best countries in the world. Many people would kill for our leave entitlements, penalty rates, health system and economy. It isn't all bad (yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
First for Australia is bad

e: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/03/30/melbourne-attack-muslim-girls-disturbing-and-brazen-islamophia-register

quote:

Melbourne attack on Muslim girls 'disturbing and brazen': Islamophia Register

Victorian Police are searching for a group of youths who were involved in a "disturbing and brazen", racially-motivated attack on three Muslims girls in a reserve in Geelong, Melbourne.

A Victorian Police statement said the girls, aged 11, 12, and 15, were sitting in a reserve on Sparks Road, Geelong on Wednesday around 5.30pm.

A group of 10 youths, boys and girls aged between seven and 16, approached the girls, hurling racial abuses and assaulting them, including ripping off their headwear.

Read the rest of the story on SBS, you fucks

Recoome fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 30, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
its a lovely land

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Federal Liberals can't balance a budget to help themselves.

Morrison is toothless as treasurer as Turnbull wants to be the one pulling the levers, even to the point of changing the night of the budget.

Turnbull is too busy pandering to the right wing of his party to notice that the majority of Australians do not share their views.

And soon we'll have an election, hopefully Abbott won't heed the advice he has been given by ex-Liberals and does do his "Caravan of Courage" tour.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Returning to invasion/settlement semantics chat: "invasion" sort of sits wrong with me. "Invasion" to me means Germany invading France or the US invading Iraq - a modern, wholescale, fully intended attempt to overthrow a government or a society. Whereas the British coming to Australia was a process that took place over a century, with differing aims all along the way, and one which was a lot closer to a first contact event; a hugely powerful and technologically advanced society encountering a Stone Age one, something that was not even remotely on a level playing field.

"Colonisation" sounds a lot better to me and I don't think that's euphemising it; "colonialism" is a dirty word these days and rightfully so.

Also I don't know why the gently caress this sort of thing would rock the boat now, I was in high school in the early 2000s and distinctly remember showing things from the Aboriginal point of view to be a huge part of the history curriculum - let alone at a university in 2016.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

You Am I posted:

Federal Liberals can't balance a budget to help themselves.

Morrison is toothless as treasurer as Turnbull wants to be the one pulling the levers, even to the point of changing the night of the budget.

They had to move up the budget announcement to leave room for a double dissolution.
Antony Green's got a blog post that explains it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I took a quiz

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

A Good Username posted:

They had to move up the budget announcement to leave room for a double dissolution.
Antony Green's got a blog post that explains it.

Yes, but Turnbull didn't tell Morrison that. Morrison had repeatedly told the media that the Budget Night would not be changed

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
RE Indigenous issues, misuse of terminology seems quite common. The National Indigenous Radio Service opens their daily show by acknowledging the "continuing Sovereignty of all First Nations". I'm sorry, but since not a single "First Nation" can pass their own law and have it enforced without the help of the Australian Government none can be said to retain their Sovereignty.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

If you don't think it was an invasion, I've got news for you son.

Australia was formed down the barrel of a gun

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The point they're trying to make there should be pretty obvious. They never gave up their sovereignty voluntarily and they don't accept the legitimacy of the Australian government.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ban OP; gas thread.

Has everyone forgotten about the Northern special development zone?

http://www.australianmining.com.au/news/abbott-s-plans-for-northern-economic-zone (Source deliberate).

quote:

Abbott's plans for Northern Economic Zone 7 February, 2013 Cole Latimer 3 comments

Abbott's plans for Northern Economic Zone
Latest News

Breakthrough aircraft to transform remote mining
Lucapa Diamond finds another large diamond
WA welcomes new mining minister
Hughes wins new gold drilling contracts
Coal mine head injury prompts investigation

Tony Abbot's plans for a Northern Economic Zone, in the style of those proposed by Gina Rinehart, have been revealed ahead of the election.

There have been calls for the establishment of a Northern Special Economic Zone for some time, with Galaxy poll results released by the Institute of Public Affairs stating that more than half of those surveyed supported lower taxes to stimulate growth in the north. Hugh Tobin from the Institute of Public Affairs told Australian Mining "a Northern Special Economic Zone, comprising Northern Western Australia, the Northern Territory, and Northern Queensland will allow Australia to make the most of our natural mineral wealth and will reduce some of the problems that exist for people living in these regions". In Rinehart's book, released late last year, she called for the establishment of a new economic zone, pushing her position as the chair of the group Australians for Northern Development and Economic Vision (ANDEV) (anidav lol). Her book Northern Australia and then some outlines a vision for Northern Australia’s future including unleashing its potential. But it argues that development will only occur if the right environment is created by government, an environment where private enterprise can flourish and welcome investment. This environment may now be created under an Abbott government.
Seems to incorporate the separate North Queensland and revolutionary new tax arrangements themes. Why isn't Turdball all for it?

The State Income Tax thing is being slammed as a ridiculous brain fart almost universally. The only places giving it any real legs are The Arsetralian and the rest of New Corpse. Even Ray Hadley called it idiotic and the Tas Lib Premier has come out swinging against it. Does Malformed Turdball want to lose?

-/-

The indigenous 'nations' actually have stronger grounds than you may imagine. Only NSW, Victoria, Tasmania and South Australia ever directly claimed sovereignty via England. The rest of Australia was administered as a protectorate. It wasn't until federation that a vague claim for sovereignty was made over the entire country. This claim wasn't ever fought over and has no legitimacy beyond what can be enforced through the courts.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The whole debate against calling it an invasion boils down to some pretty exquisite 18th/19th century ethnocentrism, where we didn't consider that "Australia" was legitimately occupied because the people who lived here didn't conform to European ideas of sovereignty and nationhood.

It's also pretty clear that a large proportion of Australians still possess this ethnocentrism so it's actually quite delicious that you have the ignorant people speaking out against it, because it highlights exactly the problem we are having.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Cartoon posted:

The State Income Tax thing is being slammed as a ridiculous brain fart almost universally. The only places giving it any real legs are The Arsetralian and the rest of New Corpse. Even Ray Hadley called it idiotic and the Tas Lib Premier has come out swinging against it. Does Malformed Turdball want to lose?

Tasmania wouldn't have enough money to buy their own apples under that system, so it's no surprise the premier came out swinging, Turnbull doesn't vote for him.

Turnbull appears to be doubling down though, now he's talking about removing federal funding and oversight for the public school sector (while of course maintaining funding for the private sector).

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I guess the 31st doesn't exist for March anymore.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hey hey HEY HEY it's not April yet get the gently caress back in the other thread

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

AgentF posted:

Thanks for the links. Not sure if this is the award or not. She's in the hospital now and recovering so I'll try to hold back with questions until she's on her feet again.

Thanks for the detailed response. The union is hard at work trying to do a few things at that workplace so are hopefully on the case of trying to extract that promised permanency (it was promised for a few casuals so she's not alone in this). I'm not sure which union it is but I'll try to find out. If they're solidly on the case then it seems like something I can't really help by involving myself in, since I'm assuming that they're the experts in this kind of thing and I'm only the fiance of a relative of one of the employees involved.

The employer has been taking advantage of her for a while now. She's owed thousands in unpaid wages due to HR stuff-ups and is also rostered heavily for holidays; she hasn't had a Christmas or Mother's Day free for years now despite asking well in advance. Hopefully a precedence of screwing her about will count against them in front of an ombudsman. I don't know how much lawyers cost and this woman already seriously doesn't have a lot of money and can be kinda proud at times so might not accept me paying for a lawyer for her.

Edit: dodgy employer snipe

Make sure shes a paid up member, or you personally pay her dues for her. If she's not a member, sign her up and let her union rep help.

Document every time they've hosed her over. Hopefully there is emails or sms messages? If not, get her to do a statuary declaration

Having 1) your contract 2) your award 3) documents proving they've hosed her over will make the reps life much easier and justice faster

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Hey hey HEY HEY it's not April yet get the gently caress back in the other thread
No you.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

Tasmania wouldn't have enough money to buy their own apples under that system, so it's no surprise the premier came out swinging, Turnbull doesn't vote for him.

Turnbull appears to be doubling down though, now he's talking about removing federal funding and oversight for the public school sector (while of course maintaining funding for the private sector).

It's really strange because traditionally hasn't the Federal government been trying to take responsibilities away from the states? It's like he's just throwing things in the too hard basket. "Can't get the right and the hard right in the party to agree on something? Throw it to the states. Unpopular policy decision needs to be made? Make the states do it".

What do they actually want to govern?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MysticalMachineGun posted:

You're living in the past, stop living in the past.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
First post.

Not as bad of an OP as I expected from you, not too bad mr Cat.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

gay picnic defence posted:

It's really strange because traditionally hasn't the Federal government been trying to take responsibilities away from the states? It's like he's just throwing things in the too hard basket. "Can't get the right and the hard right in the party to agree on something? Throw it to the states. Unpopular policy decision needs to be made? Make the states do it".

What do they actually want to govern?

It's pretty much a political move to make Turnbull look good. He would cut federal income tax and sit back and be like hehe mission accomplished over to you states.

He's a fraud with no good ideas basically.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Farmers have welcomed a new national standard for free-range egg production, saying it is a win for common sense, consumers, farmers and chickens.

1 out of 4 aint bad (arguably 0)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The national definition of "free range" will require that hens have "meaningful and regular" access to the outdoors, and that the density of chickens outdoors must be no more than one hen per square metre (10,000 hens per hectare).

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lid posted:

The national definition of "free range" will require that hens have "meaningful and regular" access to the outdoors, and that the density of chickens outdoors must be no more than one hen per square metre (10,000 hens per hectare).
That seems pretty good to me

I mean apart from the manufacturing of animals for our consumption

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

is 10,000 hens per hectare meant to sound more cramped than 1 per square metre? Everyone's reporting on it that way.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

open24hours posted:

is 10,000 hens per hectare meant to sound more cramped than 1 per square metre? Everyone's reporting on it that way.

Average Joe won't have a clue what a hectare looks like, so I would think it's just meant to sound more vague.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
please only express areas in football fields, none of this hectares business

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bowmore posted:

That seems pretty good to me

Thats nowhere near enough space for a chicken to scratch around in, and you can bet that the definition of "meaningful access" is going to be abused.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr Chips posted:

Olympic swimming pools are also acceptable.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The CSIRO's published standards for density are 1500 per hectare.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Frogmanv2 posted:

Thats nowhere near enough space for a chicken to scratch around in, and you can bet that the definition of "meaningful access" is going to be abused.
Yeah one square meter is gently caress all space :/

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Our cage for our parrot would be larger than a cubic meter, and he also gets to spend most of the time we are at home outside the cage having the run of the house.

And a parrot is much smaller than a chicken.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Aren't free range chickens still allowed to be de-beaked as well?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

two football fields?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

And a parrot is much smaller than a chicken.

Just dont tell him that.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I've spent pretty much all day trying to get my head around how this state tax proposal would work and I can't make it work.

No matter how I carve it up, so long as Turnbull's plan is for the ATO to collect everything so as to reduce compliance costs, I can't see it being constitutional for a federal body to collect state taxes.
Either the states can't authorise it (the autocthonous expedient invests state with federal, not vice versa), or there could be a preference between states which the ATO couldn't be shanghaied into enforcing.

The alternative is for each state to pass assessing acts with collection by their state revenue authorities, but even if the acts are identical to what exists now I can't see people swallowing two separate returns each year given the trouble they have with filling in one.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

screaden posted:

Aren't free range chickens still allowed to be de-beaked as well?

yeah and they still grind up alive any male chicks born when breeding egg layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What it means is 8 new tax offices.

• Locked thread