Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

hello games chat what are the best anime games?

obviously recettear is #1 what are the others

Anything by Falcom:

Lurdiak posted:

1 and 2 are stone cold classics.

3 ain't half bad either, though maybe I'm tainted by that being the first DKC game I owned.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

3 is actually pretty bad. Not horrendous, but I've never been able to make myself even finish it. It's a serious misstep.

3's my personal favorite. What do you find so bad about it?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Heat death of the universe

You laugh.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Isn't Baldur's Gate like...really old? How is there a new expac?

The people who made the Enhanced Edition created their own expansion that links 1 & 2. They just released it yesterday on Steam. Apparently the writing isn't as good as what was in the original games, though that's not a huge surprise.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Level Slide posted:

Is the Mass Effect series still the face of good writing in western video games?

No, that's Undertale.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

In Ninja Gaiden 1 I repeatedly fell down a pit due to wonky 3D platforming after beating a bone dragon boss and then I stopped playing because that was so annoying.

The game never tells you this, but a lot of the mid-air moves make the platforming a lot more manageable. Though I also fell down that pit quiet a few times.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

Dark Souls 3 is almost out :sweatdrop:

I spent all weekend gaming with the fiancee so I managed not to think about it but today at work is gonna be rough

Streets of rage remake is really good btw

At least it doesn't release on Steam until 5 p.m. my time.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

I probably should get it on PC since is cheaper and releasing 6 hours sooner, but I can't get my DS4 to work well wirelessly and I definitely don't want to sit in front of my computer to play it.

I never really got this. What's so bad about sitting in your chair and playing games on a monitor?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Chinaman7000 posted:

I just started computer gaming again cause I bought a sweet monitor and I miss my couch.

What kind of chairs do you guys have. I use this Herman Miller Aeron and It's super comfy for long periods of sitting and gaming.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Motto posted:

Human beings are bad at genre classifications

FTFY

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

what was that one mmorpg that came out recently and flopped and also I think it is already closed down or in the process of shutting down and a lot of people were excited for it because it has a unique art style and stuff but then it just ended up being lovely for whatever reason and all of the female character models had twigs for waists, even the robot women

Wildstar or Black Desert Online, I don't really follow MMOs so I dunno if they flopped.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I just wish that the graal private server was still around. graal classic was great

Oh jesus, I haven't thought about graal since the last time I spent hours trying to get it to run without any success. Is there a website somewhere, running a vanilla version of Neopets?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Healbot posted:

WoW classic was NOT great, far from it even.

People play old lovely games because it brings them back to a time when they were happy with their lives, not because the actual game has any merit.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Wouldn't that just be Neopets?

I dunno, I haven't visited the site since the early 2000s, I'd figured it would've changed significantly by now.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

dirk stows update: first boss went down like a chump from my Pyromancer just casting fireball. This game so ez, I dunno why so many people say it's hard.

Dark Souls isn't all that hard, its difficulty is overblown. It's just more similar to older games in that patience and preparation are rewarded to a very high degree.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Old games were more about throwing yourself at the problem until one of your brute force attempts worked.

Ehh, I'd say that has more to do with those games being lovely rather than just old. I always go back to Castlevania (which to be fair had plenty of cheap poo poo that needed to be memorized, as does Dark Souls). In Castlevania the thing that allowed me to get through the tougher sections were learning enemy and boss patterns like the back of my hand, being patient and taking my time, and becoming intimately familiar with my character's hitboxes, ranges, speed, etc. All of these aspects are mimiced in the Souls games, and I believe it's what contributes to making those games so great. In a time where a lot of games seem like they make your character better at the game rather than you as a player. Souls forces you as the player to improve, there is no workaround, there is no elemental buff or giant AOE spell that will flip the game on it's head and make it a walk in the park. Also, the aspects of my play that the Souls games have improved can be transitioned over to other genres like fighting games. Seeing one game appreciably increase my skills in another is a magical thing.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

That's all very inspiring to read, tears in my gamer eyes. Bbbbut I've never played a Souls game before and I'm doing pretty well just doing full YOLO mode and I don't even know what half the things I pick up do. also how do I activate a weapon art lol.

You activate weapon arts by dual-wielding your weapon (press the Y button) and then L1 and L2 should do stuff.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

That's all very inspiring to read, tears in my gamer eyes. Bbbbut I've never played a Souls game before and I'm doing pretty well just doing full YOLO mode and I don't even know what half the things I pick up do. also how do I activate a weapon art lol.

Yeah, if you're good at games you shouldn't have too hard a time, but if it's like previous games there will probably one or two bosses/sections where you'll have to re-evaluate how your playing the game. Passing these personal obstacles is always super rewarding.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Snak posted:

so here's a sort of sketchy question: My Dark Souls 3 from amazon didn't come on time, so on tuesday, I went to gamestop and bought a copy. Yesterday, my amazon copy came. So now I have one opened copy that I bought from gamestop and one unopened copy that I got from amazon. Both are for ps4. My roommate has an xbox one. What I want to do is take my unopenend ps4 copy to some local store and exhange it for an xbox one copy. I'm not trying to do anything illegal or immoral, I have a brand new unopened game and I want to exchange it for the same game on a different platform, and that feels like something I should be able to do, but it also feels kinds of sketchy.

Does this seems like something I should be able to do? And if so, what's the easiest way to go about it?

You can try but usually game stores do not accept games when they are unopened. Also, I'd imagine the fact that the game you're returning doesn't have a Gamestop sticker on it, nor will the barcode match up with the one you purchased. I mean you could always try but my guess is you'll be turned away.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Walking simulators is such a childish thing to call the genre.

I just don't understand why they're not just called adventure games. Like is Real Myst retroactively a walking simulator.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

raditts posted:

How did that little pasty fucker calling the other dude a bitch not get beaten into the ground

Because the big dude is gigantic pussy who talks a lot of poo poo but never backs it up. Meanwhile Viscant is someone who's been around the community forever and knows he has the support of most of the crowd there.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Or maybe he has just enough control NOT to beat the poo poo outta a dude over video games?

I don't think it has much to do with control. If you watch any other videos of Low Tier God, you'll see he's the kinda guy who will not stop talking poo poo about you over the internet, but will never back it up in real life. He just likes to puff his chest out and the appearance that comes with.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

precision posted:

I feel like I would love them if they had map screens and quest markers

I am totally serious, I'm too old for that obtuse poo poo anymore

The lack of map is one of the most enjoyable things about Dark Souls to me. Trying to piece together the layouts of areas in my head feels super rewarding when you know all the ins and outs of an area. Also, given the way Souls games play out I never felt like I really had to commit a ton of effort to memorizing layouts, it seemed to come naturally as I played through a level. Also, given the way Souls games are laid out, I can't imagine creating a map without it looking like something out of Marathon.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

how do you embed gifvs do you just paste them in

http://i.imgur.com/g80LCb8.gifv

e: nice now i know

Has that dude tattooed the entirety of the fingers on his left hand?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

TMNT is gonna be super dope cool sicknasty radical and I bought it I prebought so I'm in baby I'm in to win

cowa

bunga

Heyy, who turned da lights out...???

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

I don't remember DS2 having literally a Sieg clone appearing with the same armor, same mannerisms and the very same voice actor but with a different character name.

I'm fine with equipment from other games and having the item blurbs having references but straight up identical characters is a kinda bad reference.

Anyway it's not a huge deal, I find that one character to be lazy. Everybody else in the game is great so far.

I agree with you that some of the elements in DS3 feel a little fanservicey, but dag gummit I love me some Dark Souls, so IDGAF. I imagine that's what most other people are feeling too when they see all the overt references in this game.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

It ain't ruining the game so far. Just a minor gripe with it.

Though that super slow feeling swamp section could ruin it all.

The swamp section initially feels very convoluted because of all the trees and foliage, but after you've run around it's not too bad, certainly nowhere near as hellish as the swamp section in Demon's Souls.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Motto posted:

the whole SFZero thing is weird since reviewers nigh-universally hate the controls while most players I've seen have little or no problems adjusting to them.

It's really weird considering Ryckert over at Giant Bomb was a big proponent of the gyro controls in Splatoon but seemed to hate the Star Fox controls.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm glad to hear this because all the reviews, particularly the Giant Bomb one, seem hung up on the controls; the Wonderful 101 got criticized in much the same way, which is another situation where a complex control scheme is one of the best parts of the game and once you learn how to play it properly, the game is splendid.

TBF in the quick look, Dan said that it's highly likely people will come out later saying it's the only way to play, just that it never clicked for him and didn't ever seem necessary.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

I haven't played DSIII in a week and I don't know when I'm going to go back and finish it. I kinda petered off at the halfway ish point I think. I've been playing Castlevania and Europa Universalis IV

Ban this man. But seriously, what Castlevania are you playing?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Did you actually beat them all? Because that means you cleared Rondo somehow.

Rondo is not very difficult compared to the NES Castlevanias, at least there's some decent checkpointing in Rondo, and if need be you can always use Maria.

Also, In Training, don't skip over Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth. It's not super hard but it was developed by M2 and is a whole lot of fun. But nobody remembers it because dead on arrival due to being a Wiiware-exclusive.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Oh also I'm not playing the 360 4 player one because I don't have a360.

They came out with slightly improved version for the PS3 if you really wanna try it out.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Snak posted:

The first Black Knight in ds1 will follow you all the way back to the bonfire and fight you in the bonfire room.

TBF the first black night was like a 15 second run from that bonfire.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Stay safe everybody

I hope everybody has a good day today

That new nintendo humble bundle looks good but meh I'm sure I can get some of those games on steam later and I already have a couple like RCR and Freedom Planet on steam so

https://www.humblebundle.com/friends-of-nintendo-3ds-wiiu

That doesn't really seem wortwhile outside of Rhythm Thief and maybe SSFIV 3D if you get a kick out of playing weird versions of fighting games.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I've heard good things about affordable space adventures, and $1 for RCR & Shantae and the Pirate's Curse seems fine enough

I spaced and forgot to put "if you have a PC"

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Snak posted:

So apparently my ps4 thinks the hard drive is full even though it reports 20 gigs free. Consequently it didn't download the Nioh demo earlier. I cleared another 20 gigs and now it is downloading. But now instead of playing it I'm waiting impatiently.

The real Playstation experience. I don't own a PS4, is it as bad as it was on PS3?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Oh neat

Oh...

God drat it Square

Considering how many people have been saying they'd throw money at iOS Triple Triad game I don't think it's all that surprising. I'm more surprised it took them this long to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Yesssssss!!!!! I hope this starts a precedent of other companies a-oking romhacks in their official games.

• Locked thread