Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

ilkhan posted:

Page 1 posting. Should be page 0, it ain't loving April yet.

This some kind of joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

ssjonizuka posted:

Welcome to the Internet comedy forums known as something awful.

April 1st, etc. etc.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Picked up my new bike. 09 Street Triple. Awesome frigging bike so far. Quite an upgrade from my SV.

Nice! If you don't mind me asking, what'd you pay for it? I'm looking to sell mine soon.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

I'll be vacationing with the girlfriend and some friends on Dauphin Island in may.

Better get there before the fucker washes away in a few years. I was there last year and it's going fast.

I'm not in LA, but in the Montgomery area. All of the heat, none of the charm.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Cherryh's Cyteen books are great. She's one of the few authors that writes geniuses who I am convinced are smarter than I, the reader, am.

Bookchat!

I'm a big fan of those. Dense, though. I try to not read real literature, besides the classics--I made it through The Road by Cormack McCarthy and that was about all I could stand from him. Just too depressing. I liked the Elenium because it was so ridiculous, and maybe because of nostalgia for Edding's earlier works. The sequels don't fare well, being a rehash of the originals like the Mallorean books were of Belgariad.

I own every Terry Pratchett novel. If you're looking for fast reading that can really make an impact, there's nobody better. Having that with real wit and humor makes it even more of a recommendation. I read Dan Simmons in high school and have re-read Hyperion many times since then. It's the high point of his sci-fi novels, but his horror is as good as anybody's out there. Song of Kali hits as hard as Pet Semetary, maybe harder. Stephen King has disappointed me many times since his accident, but he seems to be getting better since a little before 11/22/63 came out. I really enjoyed Joe Haldemon's Forever War, the sequels were so-so.

I like Jim Butcher and Joe Abercrombie , China Mievelle, Steven Erickson, Ben Aaronavitch and Brandon Sanderson, all for different reasons. I'm not a huge Patrick Rothfuss fan, I guess having too much hype makes disappointment more likely. The Dune books were generally good-to-fair for me, but I accidentally read God-Emperor right after Dune, then the last two of Herbert's real books. It was very confusing, and the library didn't get the second and third books until after I'd read them. I guess I should be lucky that small-town Alabama had a functioning library.

What else? I've read all of Louis L'Amour's novels because my uncle had the fancy leather-bound complete set. The Walking Drum is pretty good historical fiction set in the 12th-century Byzantine Empire. The rest are generally cowboy pulp. Strangely, Last of the Breed was the only book issued to me in Fort Benning during basic training, for whatever that's worth. It does have some good action sequences.

I guess I'm not a very selective reader. I read very quickly, so maybe it's not as much of an investment for me to read books that aren't the best. I don't mind pulp as long as it's entertaining.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Sanderson is pretty awesome a world building, y though it does take him on some weird seemingly unrelated tangents. Rothfuss sure as hell drew me in. Don't think I've read the rest you listed.

Yeah, Rothfuss drew me in, then didn't do a goddamn thing for 1000 more pages. At least GRRM had the courtesy to get 4 books in before he pulled that trick. They both need editors.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Magnus Praeda posted:

Yeah, looks like they fixed the glitch. But the Amazon Music app is downloading 2138 songs now, so I'm pretty happy.

Got to get that Scott Stapp solo album, the hidden jewel of any collection.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Magnus Praeda posted:

I got that and the Jamie Foxx album.

Oh yeah, baby. :w00t:

You know, Jamie Foxx makes soulless music, but his musical impressions are hilarious and really on-point. I have more respect for his singing ability from that than anything he's officially released. His John Legend impression is great.

Trigger warning: this clip has Jimmy Fallon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGidYBqBHVw

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

angryhampster posted:

By my deeds I honor him...H4?

e:

That's a bit pricey. What does one cook in a pressure cooker?

I have a Zojirushi and a stovetop pressure cooker. I fuckin' love rice. I have some on tap every single day, no matter what I cook, and the Zosh is perfect for that.

The pressure cooker? You can cook anything super quickly. Huge-rear end roasts. Potatoes. Dry beans. Yeah, rice. Soups, stews (also rice cooker territory). Pretty similar, really. the Zosh and similar do pressure-cook, but not to the same degree. The warming function on the Zosh is the game-changer. It'll hold rice for four days with no issues, and edible for a week.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

the spyder posted:

Edgerouter Lite + Unifi AP's + Synology NAS = Amazing home network I rarely have to mess with. It's refreshing as I don't want to deal with this poo poo when I'm not at work.

I run this, except a MikroTik Hexlite router because it was half the price of the Edgerouter Lite and does the same things. It'll do VPNs, it uses real router protocols (OSPF and BGP) and can even do MPLS, which is insane in a $50 router.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

angryhampster posted:

I just subscribed to Motor Trend Ondemand and I'm pretty excited about it. Some of this archive content looks awesome.

There's some good stuff on there. That and getting Roadkill-related content a month early is worth $5 a month.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Ferremit posted:

I called mine a pedantic little oval office about 20 mins ago to his face because he decreed that we hadn't done a good enough job cleaning a public toilet. When he inspected it 40 mins after we cleaned it. And I gets somewhere between 4-500 users an hr through it. And he's barely 5' tall

He told me I still had to clean it again.

Sounds like my enlisted days.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

At this point the only thing I wish it had was better Start menu searching like Win7 had, where I could hit the start button, type the first few letters of a program name, and launch it.

Umm, it does do this. There isn't a box, but if you just windows key and start typing it will do it. It's much faster than win7, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Another night shift. Got my coffee at the helm ready to rock this poo poo out.

I'm glad I'm finally done with that poo poo.

• Locked thread