Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rex Carver

Rex took a long drag, blowing the smoke in a thin line from the corner of his mouth. He hated people talked about personal issues when all he wanted was a hot dog...he got too deep into people's personal lives day-to-day already. For most of the first part of the conversation he was just nodding and making non-committal but generally positive grunts.

But when Hamid mentioned throwing rocks and firebombs he felt a twinge. The poor guy was probably right. People were going to be looking for someone to poo poo on.

"Hamid...don't worry. It doesn't matter who claims they're what. Whoever did that" he waves the half-burned cig towards the bridge, "is the only one to blame. Doesn't matter what flag they're draped in or who they say they're doing it for. Don't worry, it'll get sorted."

He absentmindedly pulls his phone from his pocket to see if he's got a signal at all yet. "Look, you shouldn't be out here on the streets right now anyway. Take a day off. Where'd you live? Maybe we could share a cab, get you back to your family?" He silently kicked himself after he said it...hopefully Hamid's family wasn't on the other side of the bridge. Hopefully the poor bastard doesn't start crying...he never knew how to deal with that.

I'm assuming I won't get a signal either but just in case I'm not declaring that outright...also being "absentminded" in case I pull out the DDD and find out I can make a call with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rex Carver

"Whoa, whoa, Hamid." Rex raises one hand to try and calm Hamid and with one hand he fumbles around for the other phone. He's clumsy and drops his personal phone. The cheap plastic "protective case" shatters and Rex winces as the battery flies out of the back. drat, it was useless right now but he was going to need to replace that once this was all over.

Rex sighs and pulls out the strange phone, "This isn't even mine, found it in my coat today. But I'm sure whoever it is won't mind you making a call." He checks the screen out of mild curiosity...maybe someone was trying to text the phone to see where it had ended up.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rex Carver

Rex sheepishly pats Hamid on the back. "It's cool man, glad I could help." He takes another drag, finishing off his cigarette and patting his pockets for his pack and lighter. He picks up his dropped smartphone and, seeing the shattered screen, tosses it in a nearby trash can. He might wait to find the weird phone's owner until he gets a replacement...all those weird messages were probably someone's weird mobile game.

He shields his eyes with his hand, peering at the water. Just what is happening over there?

2d6=7. I'm not certain if Private Eye might add to it as a general bonus for being observant, if so that brings it to 11.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rex Carver

Rex hesitates slightly, then shakes his head. Even if there were problems out on the water, what was he going to do? Jump in the river with a trench coat and a few afterschool days swimming at the YMCA? These guys have emergency workers on the shore, scuba gear and all sorts of stuff. No reason to get involved.

"No, man. Let's go." He waves off Harim's concern. "Lead the way."

Sorry if I'm blowing off a plot hook, feel free to knock Rex back onto the proper path...it just seemed like the sort of thing he wouldn't get directly involved in. So far Rex is blissfully ignorant.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rex Carver

"You know me Hamid, I won't turn down a free hot dog."

Rex peers around the room, there's the slightly awkward feeling of hanging around with someone you know...but not well enough to have anything to talk about in particular. He fills the silence.

"Mind if I check out the phone? I should see if I can find out who it might belong to before the battery dies." Hopefully the thing didn't need a weird charger. Even if there wasn't a reward or anything for returning it having a working cell phone right now isn't a bad thing.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rex Carver

"Stupid toys." He kind of hated being "that guy" when it came to electronics, it made him feel like someone's grandfather...but he could never understand the appeal of all the fiddly bits. He only used a smartphone himself because he was fumbling around the phone company's website and accidentally signed up for something called a data-plan. Now he's stuck with the annoying thing and an extra 50$ a month for two years.

As he casually munched his hot dog he stepped out into the open air a bit more to light up another cigarette. He should really try to quite again soon. As he took a drag he peered off into the middle distance, waiting for Hamid to finish up. Considering the severity of the attack its impressive how little chaos he had seen in the city so far...its encouraging to think that not everything falls apart the moment something goes wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rex Carver

This was just too much. This is what happens when you try and be a nice guy, a great big hassle. The thought of simply calling things off and letting things sort themselves out crossed Rex's mind...but Hamid is a good guy and he doesn't deserve this sort of poo poo.

"Hey! Get your own drat cab! I called him and we need a ride so you can just screw off!" Feigned confidence is just a part of the job but people aren't normally this on edge so Rex turns it up a notch, jutting his chin out and sticking both hands in the pockets of his coat as he gets right up in the closet guy's face. "Just get out of here, we don't need any trouble and if you really want to make something of it well there's a police station right down the corner. I know they're having a real fun time right now and I'm sure they'll love you cutting in with some racist bullshit."

He pauses to light a cigarette, "And in this part of town? I doubt you want to piss off the local cops with the amount of hot items running through your place? Now just gently caress off and let us do the same."

Trying to use my "Knows The City Like The Back Of His Hand" Quality to get PAWNSHOP DUDES to back off. Only a 6.

• Locked thread