Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Sodium.

That poo poo will kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Here's an article from National Geographic about it if anyone else is curious too.

quote:

Battles over worm-picking turf—most areas allow only licensed residents to pick—have resulted in violent encounters, including seven murders in northern Nepal, where a small percentage of the world’s yartsa is picked.

Imagine killing someone over a mushroom growing out of a caterpillar carcass.

This world can be so stupid.

EDIT: Wow the way this article ends is amazing.

quote:

[On taking yartsa to cure cancer] “I think it’s worth it,” she says, though she is aware of the skepticism surrounding its effectiveness. On her most recent medical visit, she recalls, her doctor was shocked by the swiftness of her improvement. “He didn’t even remember I was a cancer patient,” she says.

quote:

EPILOGUE—Since the reporting for this article was completed, Yu Jian’s cancer turned virulent and ended up taking her life.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 6, 2016

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
^ I know it's awful and hosed up and I should be ashamed of myself BUT as a cancer-haver I can't help but to feel a tiny bit of schadefreude.

(more than tiny)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

duckmaster posted:

Bonus points if you can identify the product!

Some KFC thing? I caught "Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe ". Is it the the bowl?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

duckmaster posted:

Are you suggesting we should get rid of the warnings because everyone should be able to read an ingredients list, identifying all the relevant additives, even in less than prime conditions (low light etc), with interruptions and low levels of literacy?

I'm not arguing against food labels, I'm laughing at dumb people and pokable subjects on a comedy site. Kinda the same that I laugh that a chainsaw has a "warning do not attempt to stop blades with hands or genitals" sticker on it. Warnings about obvious things are funny. Stop being weirdly defensive.

Have we posted the savoury donut food trend yet? I mean, they might be delicious but $20 is a little weird and fattening.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

PhazonLink posted:

Some KFC thing? I caught "Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe ". Is it the the bowl?

Red herring. Probably a Big Mac.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

let's see

quote:

Carrots

hmm

quote:

Potatoes

hmmmmm

quote:

Peas

hrm

quote:

Chicken Pot Pie Flavor

yeah you're prob. right

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Must be KFC Nashville Hot Chicken.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Must be KFC Nashville Hot Chicken.

Doesn't say pickles anywhere though.

It's a Big Mac.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This isn't food but there's no other place to post this and it fits the philosophy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRlBtabKRFM

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Yeh it's a chicken pot pie. A Big Mac is

quote:

Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil, Contains 2% or Less: Salt, Wheat Gluten, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride, Dough Conditioners (May Contain One or More of: Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Mono and Diglycerides, Ethoxylated Monoglycerides, Monocalcium Phosphate, Enzymes, Guar Gum, Calcium Peroxide), Sorbic Acid, Calcium Propionate and/or Sodium Propionate (Preservatives), Soy Lecithin, Sesame Seed. Milk, Cream, Water, Cheese Culture, Sodium Citrate, Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Citric Acid, Sodium Phosphate, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Lactic Acid, Acetic Acid, Enzymes, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Natural Flavor (Dairy Source), Color Added, Soy Lecithin (Added for Slice Separation).Soybean Oil, Pickle Relish (Diced Pickles, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate [Preservative], Spice Extractives, Polysorbate 80), Distilled Vinegar, Water, Egg Yolks, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Onion Powder, Mustard Seed, Salt, Spices, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Mustard Bran, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Vegetable Protein (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy and Wheat), Caramel Color, Extractives of Paprika, Soy Lecithin, Turmeric (Color), Calcium Disodium EDTA (Protect Flavor).100% Pure USDA Inspected Beef; No Fillers, No Extenders. Prepared with Grill Seasoning (Salt, Black Pepper). Cucumbers, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Alum, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Natural Flavors (Plant Source), Polysorbate 80, Extractives of Turmeric (Color).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Palpek posted:

This isn't food but there's no other place to post this and it fits the philosophy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRlBtabKRFM

Yes, it's an April 1st video but Poe's Law and all.

JuiceOne
Sep 5, 2007

I know this is a few pages back but I remember bee pollen being really popular in the mid '90s, people would mainly mix it with yogurt. We had some in our house and I would take a spoonful with yogurt because I believed my parents when they said it was healthy. All it did was give me a stomach ache an hour later and I stopped after about a week.

There's an episode of the X-Files where Mulder makes fun of Scully for putting bee pollen in her yogurt because he thinks it's so dumb and she's supposed to be Mrs. Science.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Yes, it's an April 1st video but Poe's Law and all.
Dude, I'm not saying it's real, the video itself is pretty clear about it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Palpek posted:

Dude, I'm not saying it's real, the video itself is pretty clear about it.

Does this mean we're at the high tide of "artisanal" products?
They're much reach a point when too many mass-market companies are either pretending their stuff is artisanal or making fun of the artisanal crowd.

I mean it's getting pretty ridiculous when McDonald's start making "artisanal" food. They tried release one here called the McMór, Mór being Irish for big, with local although mass produced ingredients like Ballymaloe Relish and Charleville Cheese. They had to remove the word artisan from it as that is a protected term for products made in limited quantities by skilled craftsmen on a not fully mechanised process.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

HukHukHuk posted:

Lmbo bulletproof coffee, the website itself tells you to scam your doctor for modafinil

gently caress this makes me so angry, my husband has narcolepsy and has a hell of a time getting his modafinil prescription and I hate that people abuse it for stupid poo poo like this

edit: 'smart drugs'

snoo fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 6, 2016

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

"Activated almonds" is the most eye rolling loving thing I've ever heard of. Holy poo poo.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
How did everyone miss "homemade coconut?"

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

How did everyone miss "homemade coconut?"

I think it's part of the bigger "coconut, carob, blueberry, stevia, elf blood, orphan tears" homemade muffin.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

chemtrail huffer posted:

How Hollywood's Favorite Juice Bar Owner Eats Every Day

http://www.elle.com/beauty/health-fitness/a28600/amanda-chantal-bacon-moon-juice-food-diary/

This woman is going to die of malnutrition and take her kid with her.

My vegan friend has met this person and says she's exactly how you would imagine her to be.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The worst thing about food trends is whenever someone you know gets into one and is convinced they need to overhaul their entire life (and yours) to accomodate it. All that stuff you ate before is concentrated cancer! Chug this bottle of goop made with $50 shake mix for a meal instead.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

"homemade coconut?"

dear mods, change my name, etc etc

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

duckmaster posted:

Are you suggesting we should get rid of the warnings because everyone should be able to read an ingredients list, identifying all the relevant additives, even in less than prime conditions (low light etc), with interruptions and low levels of literacy?

Dim the lights, pretend you have the reading comprehension of a twelve year old, set your phones alarm to go off every thirty seconds, and identify all the allergens in this products ingredients list:

Bonus points if you can identify the product!

KFC something?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Regarding Bee Pollen, I had fairly severe grass and pollen seasonal allergies growing up (this was right before Claritin and Zyrtec became widely available) and my grandfather suggested I try bee pollen supplements as it worked for him as kid. I tried it for a couple summers and it did seem to help, I was able to get by with a lot less benadryl.

Anecdotal evidence meaning jack poo poo I just looked it up real quick and it seems it's mainly promoted by quacks and real medicine has major doubts to its efficacy. I guess I lucked out a bit too because it looks like it can also trigger deadly allergic reactions to some people.

Seems kinda pointless now though with the myriad of very effective allergy meds with minimal side effects that exist these days.

Couldn't imagine anyone eating it as food though, whenever I had a capsule break it always tasted like feet mixed with dirt.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

TontoCorazon posted:

"Activated almonds" is the most eye rolling loving thing I've ever heard of. Holy poo poo.

The first time a woman started telling me about the benefits of 'activated nuts' and their many benefits for the digestion I had trouble keeping a straight face; it was like being dropped into a Carry On sketch.

There is some science behind it, though: nuts and grains contain phytic acid, which can inhibit stomach enzymes and prevent some minerals from being absorbed. As nuts germinate, the phytic acid is broken down, so nuts that have started to germinate (by soaking them) and then been dried are theoretically more digestible. But almost certainly no more so than the much cheaper, conventionally heat-treated nuts anyone can buy in a supermarket, because the existence of phytic acid isn't hot news to food scientists.

Overpriced or not, at least 'activated nuts' aren't literal poison, like he-shou-wu, the first listed ingredient of Moonjuice lady's 'Sex Dust':

Lucrezia Borgia's Supplement Co. posted:

A lusty adaptogen to ignite, excite and cultivate the sexual flow in both men and women. This ancient, warming elixir sends waves of sensitivity and power to all the right places, as it supports your primordial energy and vital essence. A holistic approach to deeply nourished sexual vigor, supports not only the bedroom flow but your highest creative potential.

Add one teaspoon to 8oz of any hot or cold liquid. Delicious with nut milk water or tea. 15.5 servings per jar. Don't be afraid to double dose!

Wild Crafted Ingredients: Ho Shou Wu, Cistanche, Cacao, Shilajit, Maca, Epimedium, Schisandra, Organic Stevia

So, what's he-shou-wu?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallopia_multiflora

It's reputed to reverse hair graying, rejuvenate the body, cure constipation and make you horny. The one thing it's known to be good at, is inducing acute liver failure. Don't be afraid to double dose!

As the Chinese case study in the wiki link pointed out, there's an excitingly large range of dose-sensitivity, plus a cumulative effect-- a Chinese hospital found liver failure in some people who'd been taking the stuff for months, and in others who'd used it for only a few days. Of their 25 patients, one needed a liver transplant, and one died of liver failure (they had previous liver damage from heavy drinking). The others all recovered...and generally expressed an enthusiasm for continuing with herbal treatments, in some cases, the same one that had landed them in hospital. I sincerely pity the doctors who have to deal with this.

Actual thread content -- hate crimes against spaghetti bolognese:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That presentation is terrible, I'd want my money's worth if I'm paying 29 Euro for three differently sized glass jars.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
That's not deconstructed that's just self-service.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

chemtrail huffer posted:

How Hollywood's Favorite Juice Bar Owner Eats Every Day

http://www.elle.com/beauty/health-fitness/a28600/amanda-chantal-bacon-moon-juice-food-diary/

This woman is going to die of malnutrition and take her kid with her.

Crazy lady posted:

"I had an early, pre-yoga dinner at Shima in Abbot Kinney, which is my 3-year-old's favorite restaurant. I had a seaweed salad with micro cilantro and daikon, and a delicate broth of mushrooms and herbs."

Your 3-year-old's favorite restaurant is McDonald's and you are an idiot.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Say Nothing posted:

All that 'healthy' eating to look like a skinny-fat nerd.

Palpek posted:

Also given that tryhard menu (loving emu meatballs) that he probably spent hours compiling Pete got pretty much rekt there by the expert. And he was such a good boy.

Fun fact! Pete Evans, who has no medical or nutritional training other than a AU$5000 online course, wrote a paleo cookbook for pregnant women and babies. The recipes were about as safe as you can imagine, and the book was pulled from shelves (tl:dr - at least one recipe (a baby formula) could have been be fatal, the book also claims that a paleo died can protect against autism, Pete Evans is a fuckwit).

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Coucho Marx posted:

Fun fact! Pete Evans, who has no medical or nutritional training other than a AU$5000 online course, wrote a paleo cookbook for pregnant women and babies. The recipes were about as safe as you can imagine, and the book was pulled from shelves (tl:dr - at least one recipe (a baby formula) could have been be fatal, the book also claims that a paleo died can protect against autism, Pete Evans is a fuckwit).

Fucker should have been prosecuted for that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Madkal posted:

In regards to the butter/coffee thing, I once went to an Ethiopian place that made their own coffee (even had a ceremony and stuff) and it was delicious.

Also in regards to coffee people here love to drink coffee so there are lots of coffee places everywhere. People also like to be all loving trendy when drinking their coffee here which means places like this exist.
I don't mind the whole "artisan trend or anything, but sometimes it feels like it gets to the point of being "too fancy for it's own good", like some kind elitist pissing contest, and Platform 7 is definitely trying it's hardest.

I've paid that much for coffee before, but it's a frivolous indulgence and being like "I wonder what this $4-8 cup of coffee tastes like". Places that are into just doing good coffee and sourcing different and interesting kinds of beans and roasts are alright even if they are, like I said, indulgences. Serving coffee in martini glasses and having tasting flights looks dumb and anyone who gets to the point of "I don't drink any other kind of coffee except this $8 cup because I'm so sophisticated about coffee" is being silly.

And lol at that coffee shop talking about how a pour over "evokes images of ancient Japanese tea ceremonies" it's loving pouring some water over ground up beans who cares.

Though if the coffee you're drinking tastes bad enough to need butter in it you should drink better coffee :colbert:

A make your own Americano? Dumb

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
No one should drink Americano EVER.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Alter Ego posted:

Your 3-year-old's favorite restaurant is McDonald's and you are an idiot.

There's no way that kid has ever gotten to eat anything that hasn't passed the rigorous standards of moon mom.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

There's no way that kid has ever gotten to eat anything that hasn't passed the rigorous standards of moon mom.

It must suck to live a life of lowfat celery and powdered dirt.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Marenghi posted:

Does this mean we're at the high tide of "artisanal" products?
They're much reach a point when too many mass-market companies are either pretending their stuff is artisanal or making fun of the artisanal crowd.

I mean it's getting pretty ridiculous when McDonald's start making "artisanal" food. They tried release one here called the McMór, Mór being Irish for big, with local although mass produced ingredients like Ballymaloe Relish and Charleville Cheese. They had to remove the word artisan from it as that is a protected term for products made in limited quantities by skilled craftsmen on a not fully mechanised process.
This opens a new chapter of artisanal fast food/supermarket products (lol):

Burger King Artisan Bun

Dunkin’ Donuts’ Artisanal Bagels

Domino’s Artisan Pizza

Sargento Artisan Cheese

Tostitos Artisan Recipes

WeightWatchers artisanal microwave meals

All lovingly hand-crafted in the factory (a hand had to push a button).

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Palpek posted:

All lovingly hand-crafted in the factory (a hand had to push a button).

Yo, there are grill marks tho. That means it's the real deal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

He buys special alkaline water... to mix with vinegar.
???

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Palpek posted:

This opens a new chapter of artisanal fast food/supermarket products (lol):
The thing that annoys me me most about these products is that they use the word "artisan" in place of "artisanal". If you're using it as an adjective it should be "artisinal"! :argh:

The Lone Badger posted:

???
The people who make claims about certain foods being alkaline and that being good for you don't actually know what "alkaline" means.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

???

How else do you get water with a neutral pH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Bomrek posted:

It comes up like a weed around here. My mom makes a kind of Turkish cold sweet drink called hoşaf with it and it's amazing on a summer night.

Hey, I tried to google this and it looks delicious but I can't find anything for a recipe besides 'dried fruit + sugar + water' which doesn't seem that special. Any chance your mom will share her recipe? It sounds awesome.

• Locked thread