Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I hate food being served on weird things. Use a plate, dumbasses.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

peter gabriel posted:

I once got some tomatoes with my meal in a restaurant and they brought out two tins of tomatoes, put a piece of wood on top so it looked like a little bridge with tins for supports then put my tomatoes on the bridge bit of wood and cut them up.
I don't know why this happened but it did, then they had the motherfucking nerve to give me a funny look when I asked for ketchup, like that was the oddest tomato related thing about that scenario or something.

What the gently caress :cripes:

Shoe food is also a thing. A bad, bad thing.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Where the hell do you guys eat that does this crap?

Luckily I'm too poor to eat food from a shovel or a shoe. However, now that I live a half hour from Seattle, I'm sure I'll find lots of horrible hipster food.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

Eat out of bins, the way things are going that'll be all the rage in 5 years here.
Or a guy in a string vest punches your wife a throws month old leftovers at your face for an hour.
That's where it's heading, I'm telling you.

The Northwest is freakier than I thought. And here I was worrying that the Mexican food wouldn't be up to par.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Hipsters and/or morons.

Wait those are separate beasts?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

cash crab posted:

This shouldn't make me so annoyed, but it does.

I think the stupid balanced cheese and the useless mustard swirls gets me. The whole damned trend is stupid. :colbert:

You can't even eat most of this!

Scathach fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 3, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

Yeah even a deconstructivist restaurant won't give you whole gloves of raw garlic or a separate bowl with a whole lime and then another one with a quartered lime.

Dude, I'm on the West coast. There's not a whole lot of stupid hipster stuff I don't think people will do.

Speaking of, use the whole damned plate and put the sauce *on* the food. Giving me a giant plate with two bites of food is not a meal.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Stoatbringer posted:

I went to a "hot stone" restaurant once, where they bring you a plate of raw steak or chicken and a big slab of granite that has been heated to oven temperature, and you cook the meat yourself at the table on the hot rock. It was actually quite fun and novel, the one time, but I'm sure that sort of thing wouldn't last very long because there would so many people managing to poison themselves with badly-cooked meat.

Eh, most food poisoning is from cross-contamination rather than badly-cooked meat someone does themselves.

Okay, trends-- have we talked about bacon everything yet? Yeah bacon is great but it doesn't need to be in every meal plus dessert. Also, gently caress ultra-expensive "artisan" beers.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

This stuff is amazing on fruit, it's basically that Lucas candy stuff in a big bottle.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

chemtrail huffer posted:

How Hollywood's Favorite Juice Bar Owner Eats Every Day

http://www.elle.com/beauty/health-fitness/a28600/amanda-chantal-bacon-moon-juice-food-diary/

This woman is going to die of malnutrition and take her kid with her.

Holy poo poo she literally drinks crushed pearls for her skin. Someone really should give that kid a healthier life, like with a nice meth family.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Because a lot of people are complete morons incapable of taking care of themselves. If they're that dumb I feel like it would be a mercy to let them die naturally, by peanuts.

Kinda like the back of a Triscuts box-- the ingredients are like "wheat, salt, vegetable oil; WARNING CONTAINS WHEAT." No loving poo poo.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

duckmaster posted:

Children are at particular harm here and those with allergies are taught to check labels instinctively. A child may not make the distinction that peanut butter contains peanuts, instead thinking it's peanut flavoured butter. The label may potentially save their life as well as medical treatment at the states expense. The label itself costs virtually nothing.

To be fair, if a child is old enough to be preparing their own food but dumb enough to not know how to read an ingredients list, they're probably gonna die no matter what. I mean, a stupid kid left to his own devices does not last long and I doubt warnings on food would help.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

GopherFlats posted:

As someone who has a severe nut allergy, those notes are pretty helpful. It may seem redundant but when you pick something up its way easier to look at the bolded print on the bottom to see what allergens may be present rather than read the entire label.

Please tell me you don't have to read the label on a pack of peanuts to understand that it contains nuts.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

duckmaster posted:

Are you suggesting we should get rid of the warnings because everyone should be able to read an ingredients list, identifying all the relevant additives, even in less than prime conditions (low light etc), with interruptions and low levels of literacy?

I'm not arguing against food labels, I'm laughing at dumb people and pokable subjects on a comedy site. Kinda the same that I laugh that a chainsaw has a "warning do not attempt to stop blades with hands or genitals" sticker on it. Warnings about obvious things are funny. Stop being weirdly defensive.

Have we posted the savoury donut food trend yet? I mean, they might be delicious but $20 is a little weird and fattening.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Welp time to put radium pills up our butts. Might as well with the rest of this woo woo bullshit.

E: haha "vegan protein charcoal drink" They've gone so far away from eating food they're eating burnt, dead trees.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 9, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

"Artisan" honey. Guess what? All honey is made with the hands of tiny bees. Either it's all artisan or none of it is.

$29 loving dollars plus $8 s&h for less than 17oz.

https://food52.com/shop/products/39...NitbBoCD5Lw_wcB

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Yeah that much money for such a small amount of honey is just not cool. I can get a much larger jar of honey just as good (and with local flowers too!) without the stupid misleading hipster label from a farm down the street for $5-10.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Hey what do you have against delicious pickles? I mean unless those are more than $5 a jar.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I don't understand why they can't just make their own instead of buying super-expensive pickled things. It's easy and cheap.

Artisan Oreos-- just as unhealthy as the regular ones, except they probably cost 4x as much.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 11, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

3-piece nugget meal?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Artisan sriracha is pretty stupid. $14 for 6.4oz and it's just chilies crushed with garlic in vinegar. I can almost guarantee that original rooster sauce is tastier than this stuff. It's like claiming "artisan soy sauce" or "artisan ketchup."

Scathach fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 14, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

cash crab posted:

They probably didn't have these, kids these days

Whatever those things are I want all of them.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Rainbow grilled cheese is getting out of hand.

http://www.popsugar.com/food/Rainbow-Grilled-Cheese-Recipe-41029936

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Infused water is pretty stupid. I feel like it's a half-step away from being homeopathy. Just eat the damned fruit and drink the damned water and stop being a weirdo. (I admit those glass straws are pretty loving cute, though.)

Scathach fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 28, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

If you don't infuse the water, how is it supposed to get the memory of the fruit?

The fruit is supposed to LOOK at the water, duh. Unless it's some really sub-par fruit.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

That kind of packaging is the loving worst. it's like the corny yuppie version of those Doritos bags from the 90's that had writing all over them like "DO YOU LIKE 16 KINDS OF CHEESE BAKED INTO A UNBELIEVABLY FIREY EXPLOSION? YEAH WE THOUGHT YOU DID human being. NOW HOLD ONTO YOUR DICK AND ROCK CLIMBING GEAR BECAUSE FLAMIN HOT SUSHI FLAVORED DORITOS ARE ABOUT TO BLOW YOUR LILY WHITE SOCKS OFF. SIT BACK AND GET READY TO GET YOUR HEAD BLOWN OFF WITH A FULL FRONTAL ASSAULT OF TASTE. WE HOPE U DON'T HAVE TO CALL THE SUICIDE HOTLINE CAUSE YOU EXPERIENCE TOO MANY FLAVORS AT ONCE WITH NEW DORITOS FLAMIN HOT SUSHI BITCH"

I think that started with the labels on Dr. Bronner's weirdass soaps.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

cash crab posted:

*slurps $7 seeds*

FIFY

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Waste of a good pepper.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Oh hell, that's much better than the hipster vegan thing I imagined. And yes I'd just eat it after I finished.

E: green tea everything, that count as a dumb food trend? It's all over. "Healthy antioxidant green tea candy" lol.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 7, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Hahaha those are the shittiest hipster tortillas I've ever seen

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

Ha, I just realized that the same conversation probably happened decades ago when bread machines were introduced. At least with those you could just pour in actual ingredients, but ugh....

The difference is that with a good bread machine and good ingredients, you still get a much less expensive (and probably healthier) full loaf of bread. With that stupid inbred tortilla machine it's crazy expensive and you get really low-quality tortillas... slowly, one at a time. That would be like getting one slice of bread from a breadmaker at a time, with a quality worse than Wonderloaf.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Frankston posted:

Hell yeah. The smell from a donut stand is right up there with the smell of fried onions wafting from a greasy burger stand. Guaranteed to get my stomach rumbling every time.

That reminds me greatly of the "fair food" smell. The worst-for-you yet best-tasting food on the planet. Fancy restaurants can suck it.

Look, I know that tiny bowls with big lips are an expensive restaurant thing, but it's stupid. Stop it.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

What is this "shrimp" you speak of? Some sort of exotic delicacy from the drug-induced fever dreams of a madman?

From what I gather, from afar of course because they are rare and strange, I assume them to be some sort of curling space bug.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 17, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Or I wanted to know if 20% is good enough considering how lovely the economy is. I don't get why you're being so confrontational.

Truly? I had assumed them to be some sort of exotic pastry with a protective carapace.

It may even fly, good sir! With fleshy curls like that, what wouldn't?

Scathach fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 17, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

And what about the sauces that it may go with? Won't somebody think about the sauce

E: Why did your face/words change? I miss the dorf.

E2: also the weird thing below looks like he tastes like pepperoni FYI.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 17, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

If you can leave off the cheese and still have a sandwich that makes sense, you have completely failed at making a grilled cheese sandwich.

There's a layer of Swiss against the top bun, and one on the bottom. That looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Haaaa

• Locked thread