Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Well I just caught up on this thread, and simultaneously love it and am pissed at some of the things I've seen. A couple of thoughts, regarding discussions some pages back:

The thing that pisses me off the most about the mason jar trend is the fact that it started as a simple solution/making something work when you don't have much, or just because it was functional. Like posters talking about drinking iced tea or OJ out of one in their youth. We got this 12 pack of mason jars for 8.99, and we can store stuff in them AND drink out of them! Who needs pint glasses? But now I've seen in stores mason jars, with and without handles, sold with a trendy lable in 4-packs for $20. And they come without loving lids!

And re: trendy coffee: my cousin was visiting last week, and I was showing him around our downtown/main street area. We both wanted a pick me up, and popped into the nearest coffee shop, which happened to be a super pretentious one. I got a drip coffee and he an espresso. The barista was just going on and on about how smooth she could make the espresso. My cousin was just like "ok, cool, but really I'm just going to knock it back". But she just kept tinkering with the machine, brewing one, tasting it, and dumping it out, talking about how she could "dial it in" more. He finally got his shot, and she told him to "give it a taste, if that's not smooth enough I can definitely dial it in more." And then he knocked it back, just like he said he said he would, and was like "that was fine." She seemed a bit irritated.

I mean I get you're a pro barista or whatever and take pride in your work, but sometimes people just want their drat coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

might be wrong posted:

For the record 'dialing in' is just adjusting the grind settings, it's something you do at the beginning of the day and not five times in front of a customer to look like a Cool Barista

That's what I was thinking. I appreciate that it's a fancy coffee shop, and there is a certain time per drink to be expected. It was the four shots that went down the drain when my cousin said he was just going to knock it back. I didn't know what exactly "dialing it in" was until your post, but it was something I would have figured would have been done long before 9am when we got our coffee. And you could tell she wanted to show off/impress us with her ability to "dial it in". That was what came across as unnecessary, not the fact that she cared about the end product (I'm a chef, I can relate, that part is appreciated).

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hahaha I lived in Scottsdale, AZ when this episode aired, and worked a block away. People lined up afterwards to see the crazy.

I believe they are now closed because the fame and novelty faded but the common awareness that the restaurant was run by insane people did not.

I was listening to a radio show on the way to work one day, they had the server on that they regularly stole tips from. They were telling everyone where her new job was, and to go in and give her awesome tips. I bet she made bank from that. She deserved it though, I cannot image working for crazy like that.

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 8, 2016

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Pineapple is a weirdly divisive food. And also delicious.

I love pineapple and last week my girlfriend and I killed off a whole one in one sitting between the two of us. I discovered, via my toungue, why pineapple enzyme is used as a meat tenderizer.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wait, wait wait... the Commonwealth spells tongue as toungue?? That's going a bit far

No that was a typo. Also I live in the USA so I guess they could, but I don't know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Spruce tips (the lighter green, youngest leaves that grow at the end of the branch) are tender and relatively nutritious. But they still taste like pine needles and I would only eat them in a survival situation, or while hiking to show friends that they can eat them in a survival situation.

• Locked thread