Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Palpek posted:

This opens a new chapter of artisanal fast food/supermarket products (lol):

Domino’s Artisan Pizza

All lovingly hand-crafted in the factory (a hand had to push a button).

Yo but Australian dominos does chefs best pizzas and they fuckin rule and are usually similarly or better priced to the normal range esp with vouchers. Especially the loaded meat lovers with pulled pork or the chicken and Camembert they actually rule for reals.

Or when you're like me you just get cheese pizza bulk extra garlic and Camembert when you're drunk AF and it's the real deal

Gridlocked posted:

12 months of every cake for a major event being replaced by Crockenbushes.

Lol what, where? Never heard of them and I'm in a fairly foodie town in SE QLD.

Carnival of Shrews posted:

Agreed, but can we still point and laugh at folk who buy Manuka honey?

Global consumption: 10000 tons p/a.

The only good thing about Manuka is that an NZ craft malting company decided to try making smoked malts with it and excelled at making a deliciously good smoked malt.

Jakabite posted:

can we talk about the absolute saturation of pulled pork? It's nice and all but Jesus it's everywhere.

Mate pulled pork is the real deal (when done properly)

But also yes it is done to death here in auatralia by poo poo like sizzler who sous vide it and loving ruin it to a mushy pulp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Wow, Sizzler still exists? I haven't seen a Sizzler since I was a child.

Just checked their website and it turns out there are none in Vic, SA, NT, ACT or Tas, 2 in NSW, 4 in WA in 16 in Qld. :roflolmao:

Well, to judge by the times I've been forced to endure it, they cook it till it's dry as dirt and coat it in some horrible sweet sauce. Is that right?

Mate we have a fuckin dine in Pizza Hut in town. One of like 3 in qld. Also yeah sizzler is still a thing!

And nah that's the wrong way to do pulled pork. Low and slow smoked in a rub that crisps up over time and seals all the juices in and then coated in smoky BBQ sauce it's delicious

Gridlocked posted:

I'm the standard Tartar sauce

I stand by my stance that Melbourne has the most pretentious wankers in the whole country living it in. Though in all fairness this is mostly limited to the Universities, suburbs where students live and whatever that suburb whose name I can't remember is with all the vegan street restaurants that have a bake sale every weekend.

Although when my ex took me to that suburb whose name I can't remember I did manage to find a really great fromagerie that was loving awesome if a little expensive; but it was like 2 blocks off wanker-street.

Brisbane has those suburbs too.

Thankfully Brisbane is getting better with stuff like BBQ and it's not over priced. I live up in Toowoomba and make the trip down to see friends probably twice a month and I've not been disappointed.

Oh wait, there was one time where I went to Brewski and got a schooner of Belgian Tripel. "That'll be $19". Almost had a fuckin heart attack.

I hate that dumb nerds have made bacon out to be this godlike top tier food but I like eating it and would unashamedly eat this

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

cyberia posted:

There's nothing like buying a slab of pork belly that has a nipple on it :mrgw:

That's my fetish

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Also brisbanites if theres any of you in thread

I hear good things about the food. Also the smoke in new farm and mighty mighty in Ascot do killer ribs and buffalo wings

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Leocadia posted:

The Smoke is amazing, but when I ordered brisket at Pit Boss it was the consistency of pulled pork. Didn't taste too bad though.

Texas Wild Wings in Spring wood does delicious wings if you're down that way.

My nigga.

Wings are actually my favourite thing of all. Nothing wrong with brisket being like pulled pork but I prefer it to be sliceable and tender as hell. And yeh I'm hitting up the smoke next trip down. My friend is in a ribs club that just went there and raved about it

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Artisan Soy Sauce and Ketchup are both very real things. High end bottles of soy sauce from renowned distilleries often go for prices you normally associate with Wine in Japan. Because it's fermented you get the same things you associate with wine, where different breweries have signature molds and yeasts they have been brewing and using for hundreds of years along with all kinds of secrets and special barrels etc.

I can confirm that I would probably pay a fair amount for good soy sauce but kikkoman is always gonna get my money. Similarly, I know a (stupid because he wastes a lot of money) dentist who blew like way too much money on 50 year old balsamic vinegar. I have my doubts that it would be worth what he paid but it's his money I guess so yeah.

Also making you own sauce is the best way to find what you like. I've never bought BBQ sauce since making my own. Ketchup is Step 2, and I've made something similar to a sriracha sauce but with ghost peppers, Carolina reapers, habaneros and Moruga scorpions. It's really good and you can make things just how you like them

Also sorry for the slight derail lmao

FFT posted:

it's popular on reddit

so, therefore

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

somekindofguy posted:

E: For content, why did it matter if the bacon was Applewood smoked a couple of years back? Seemed like several chains were touting it, and I couldn't tell you if it made a difference.

Posting because I do my own bacon at home, not for some hipstery poo poo reason but because I find all this stuff intriguing and can experiment and stuff (same reason I homebrew, make sausages, make jerky etc) anyway different woods do impart different flavours. I've found fruit woods to be less noticeable but add a sweetness to the meat whereas mesquite and hickory give it a huge smoke flavour. I stick with the same maple syrup base cure as well. Speaking of which, I think I'm due for some.

• Locked thread