Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Guess I could give my opinion to my own question. I think Ostrander's Spectre run will never be repeated again. He had such a strong take on both Spectre and Corrigan that the character's seemed more real than before. Through the Spectre, Ostrander managed to explore a lot of themes about what it means to be human, but he also made the conflict between Corrigan (wanting justice) and Spectre (wanting vengeance) to be an interesting inner turmoil. All takes of the Spectre since have paled in comparison to what Ostrander did with the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Here is a weird matter of opinion kind of question for you goons, but which writers do you think have (or had) the best voice/take on which character. What I mean is that there is usually a character who can be kind of boring or whatnot, but every now and again a writer gets a hold on that character and makes them shine. We know about stuff like Peter David's Hulk run where he got a great voice on the character and made him something special. So which other writer's do you think really excelled with certain characters.

Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider is the only version of he character I have ever not hated.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Mark Waid pretty much made Wally West. I mean, obviously the character existed for decades before him, and a decent amount of time after, but his Wally is THE Wally.

Senior Woodchuck fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 28, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is pretty much the pinnacle of a writer bringing their voice to a character and elevating them beyond what they were.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy balls, stamping FCBD books is so loving tedious.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fraction's Hawkeye, almost certainly.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Peter David with his version of X Factor. Also, whoever turned Cap into a leftist people's champion, and Chris Claremont with Wolverine.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 29, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Giffen/Demattais (I know I misspelled that)'s Guy Gardner
Starlin's Thanos (though that's kind of cheating)
Waid's F4

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

People constantly talk up Simonson's Thor, although I've never read it. Miller's Batman (Year One, specifically, although TDKR works as well) and Daredevil are basically the current takes on the character that blueprints exactly who they are in their various mediums.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JMS had the best voice for Aunt May ever. I know that seems minor, but still. I also really liked his Peter, but I mean, no one's touching Stan Lee on that one.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Toxxupation posted:

Fraction's Hawkeye, almost certainly.
Not to take anything away from that run, but Fraction's Hawkeye really might have been a totally different character than the one who appeared from 1964-2009 or whatever.

The same can be said for Tom King's Vision, and for that matter Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. It's totally possible that ten years from now those will be THE Hawkeye and Vision in the same way Moore defined Swamp Thing, but for now it's kind of weird to declare them to be the definitive voices of the characters. It's like saying the definitive vision of Bucky Barnes is Ales Kot's EDM loving freshman year philosopher, or Nick Spencer's snarky millennial ballbuster.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

Not to take anything away from that run, but Fraction's Hawkeye really might have been a totally different character than the one who appeared from 1964-2009 or whatever.

Agreed. As fantastic as the run is, he's entirely divorced from his own history.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also he's a total loser so that's probably not going to become a definitive take.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Isn't that basically what happened when Miller did Year One and Born Again, especially for the latter though? Not being facetious or rhetorical, sincerely asking. A lot of people I read up about comics say that Miller basically redefined both characters permanently by rewriting both Daredevil and Batman's own history.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Agreed. As fantastic as the run is, he's entirely divorced from his own history.

Not entirely.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aphrodite posted:

Also he's a total loser so that's probably not going to become a definitive take.
Uh...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He has some positive qualities elsewhere!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tom King's Vision being functionally a different character is kind of the point with that one, at least.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Len Kaminski only wrote three Eddie Brock Venom stories: a 4-issue miniseries, a pre-Venom flashback issue and an issue of Iron Man. During those issues, I feel he had the best handle on him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I'm turning my spare bedroom into a comic and sports room. Would do you guys do to proudly display your comics in your places.

Edit: photos would be great to help me steal, I mean inspire me, with ideas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I'm turning my spare bedroom into a comic and sports room. Would do you guys do to proudly display your comics in your places.

Everything in one great big pile.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Madkal posted:

Sell/burn all floppies. Store TPBs in cube shelf from Amazon or Ikea.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DrProsek posted:

Sell/burn all floppies. Store TPBs in cube shelf from Amazon or Ikea.
That's a weird way to spell "keep all your files in one folder clearly marked Comics on your hard drive".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CapnAndy posted:

That's a weird way to spell "keep all your files in one folder clearly marked Comics on your hard drive".

Proudly Scanned by THE M@STER OF 0RI0N *catwoman pinup*

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

Proudly Scanned by THE M@STER OF 0RI0N *catwoman pinup*
I have zero guilt about stealing poo poo I've already bought, doubly so when I buy it digitally and the official publishers couldn't bother to do basic joins in photoshop on their goddamn splash pages.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All digital, most people have no idea I read comics, especially since I'm so fuckin cool otherwise.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Digital and trades is the way to go. You get a nice bookshelf full of nerd bullshit. Storing floppies is the absolute pits.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Storing floppies is easy, just a bunch of unsorted long boxes in the the damp basement :getin:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't have room for comics with all these expensive action figures.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

Here is a weird matter of opinion kind of question for you goons, but which writers do you think have (or had) the best voice/take on which character. What I mean is that there is usually a character who can be kind of boring or whatnot, but every now and again a writer gets a hold on that character and makes them shine. We know about stuff like Peter David's Hulk run where he got a great voice on the character and made him something special. So which other writer's do you think really excelled with certain characters.

Garth Ennis' Punisher.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Ennis - Nick Fury
Simonson - Thor
Giffen/DeMatteis - Blue and Gold
Lee - Galactus
BQM - Steph!Batgirl
Ostrander - Deadshot, Waller
Messner-Loebs - Wonder Woman

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Morrison's Animal Man

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm reading through Civil War on Marvel Unlimited right now. Are there any crossover issues to look out for or specifically avoid?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have you read Brubaker's Captain America? It's been a while, but his death in the direct aftermath and "Civil War: The Confession" are probably worth reading as the real ending to the event.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Trast posted:

I'm reading through Civil War on Marvel Unlimited right now. Are there any crossover issues to look out for or specifically avoid?

Frontline is a must read.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you read Brubaker's Captain America? It's been a while, but his death in the direct aftermath and "Civil War: The Confession" are probably worth reading as the real ending to the event.

I was going to jump into that run after Civil War due to how much it gets praised. I should probably read the pre-death stuff to get up to speed while I am going through Civil War.

bobkatt013 posted:

Frontline is a must read.

Thanks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Trast posted:

I was going to jump into that run after Civil War due to how much it gets praised. I should probably read the pre-death stuff to get up to speed while I am going through Civil War.

Thanks.

You shouldn't thank me. Its the one that has a character ask Captain America about Nascar, youtube, and myspace.

I enjoyed the Iron Man tie in, but some people did not like it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

You shouldn't thank me. Its the one that has a character ask Captain America about Nascar, youtube, and myspace.

I too find NASCAR strange and confusing so I empathize with Cap.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't it also have Ben Urich (& Sally Floyd, but Urich is the big deal here) willing go along with a coverup that Tony had a nanite-controlled Norman Osborn shoot the Atlantean Ambassador to provoke a war, I think to encourage people to rally behind the intiative? Kind of OOC. Did they ever address that plot point, or was it never spoken of again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Annihilation was a loving mess of bad art and really poor treatment of female characters (basically every main male character ends up "slapping some sense" into some main female character over being hysterical or some poo poo, and basically every single female character was defined by being either a damsel or madly in love with the Big Strong Male Character (who, incidentally, was just slapping them around)), but god loving drat if Annihilation: Conquest wasn't the best poo poo.

Like, man, Annihilation: Conquest was so loving good. Frustrating you have to trudge through like thirty issues of Gamora being even more embarrassingly...female superhero than the norm to get to the great poo poo. I mean, Annihilation was still fun as hell and Thanos was an awesome dick, but god if it doesn't feel enjoyable despite its own efforts to look like an ugly regressive piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread