Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
From the last one,

quote:

Speculator chat: a guy I work with buys every Spider-Man variant for every Spider-Man book. He then waits and sells them so he can use that profit to buy the old comics missing from his collection. His goal is to own every Spider-Man comic, read them all in order once, and then sell them to get rich.
There's something vaguely endearing about this, but unless he already has a copy of the Amazings Spider-Man 1 and Fantasy 15 it's likely a fool's errand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heathen posted:

As far as i know Spider-Man 28 is still the oldest book he has. He talked alot about how hard it was to find one in good shape because of the mostly black cover. He's missing around 60 Amazings.

Our LCBD came back from Chicago with a decent Spider-Man 4. I don't think my co-worker can afford it and I'm thinking of snagging it for myself. I'm not really a big Spider-Man fan, but first appearance of Sandman, why not?

Ignoring value, getting any Lee /Ditko original joints is pretty awesome.

I haven't actually looked, but Amazing Spider-Man 1 and Amazing Fantasy 1 are probably the most expensive 60's comics, and at least Fantasy has to be worth about as much as Action 1 or Detective 25.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I know it's a day late, but did anyone catch this minor bombshell from the Library and Archives of Canada?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

You're not allowed to name your kid anything too dumb here http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11388092

e: Scratch that. I just read that again and the objection is for titles and symbols. You can specifically be called "Cream Bun" but not Major or Prince.
Never mind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Major_Major_Major

Edit: I actually have a huge issue with government dictating what you can name your kid. It seems like an unnecessary level of interference. Being named Lady Rainicorn is a symptom of a much larger issue with her parents, and CPS didn't take the kid simply because the parents had poo poo taste in child names. Also, my last name is King, and Prince is one of the greatest living rock stars, so these restrictions on titles is clearly a dumb idea, and how many people are named Jesus or Muhammad?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 5, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How many times does WickedHate have to get banned for defending pedophiles before she's permabanned for being a pedophile?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

It still comes in second to Love Never Dies on my "how did you miss the point of the thing you wrote that badly" list, but it's a close second.

I didn't know what that was, and looking it up I found this gem.

quote:

The Daily Mail announced in May 2007 that the sequel would be delayed, because Lloyd Webber's six-month-old kitten Otto, a rare-breed Turkish Van, climbed onto Lloyd Webber's Clavinova digital piano and managed to delete the entire score.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm guiding somebody through their first real AMERIKKKKKA trip shortly, and it's gonna rule.

Speaking as a waiter, make sure you explain to them in no uncertain terms that tipping isn't loving optional, and should be at a bare minimum 15%, 18-20 is more standard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mean, if you're a terrible human being that's a lie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Seriously though, Americans don't tip 18-20 as a standard.

Well, obviously the loving assholes don't.

Rhyno posted:

I tip 15% if the service is great. Having spent 10 years in the service industry, far too many servers think they deserve a tip for showing up at the table to take and order and to bring it to the table.

Hey, congrats on being a loving rear end in a top hat. Retail and waiting are very different things.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

redbackground posted:

I just double the tax and round up.

unless they're a q-tee

That works were I am because sales tax is 9% but it can vary from 0-10 based on the state. 20% before tax is a good rule of thumb if you're traveling to different states

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Canada is the worst because our waiters make living wages but we still have American tipping culture. :( My walleeeeett!

Learn to loving cook?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The service industry isn't retail pal. I worked in bars and restaurants for 10 years. I know how serving and tipping works and what a server needs to do to deserve a tip. It's a bullshit myth that they earn a tip just for showing up. I don't get my paycheck just for showing up at my job, I have a shitload of work I need to do to earn it.

Showing up and doing your job deserves 15% minimum. I'd probably still give at least 15% to someone I saw spit in my food. What did you actually do when you worked in restaurants and bars for 10 years?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I waited tables, I bartended, I barbacked, I worked security, I managed, I worked in the kitchen. I have worked every payable position offered. And to earn that 15% you need to show up and do your loving job. That means I don't wait for my order to be taken for 30 minutes because the waitress is too busy talking to her friends or taking a smoke break.

Okay, I get it. You're a loving rear end in a top hat

Lurdiak posted:

"These prices are certainly high"

"LEARN TO COOK YOU PIECE OF poo poo" *flips table*

If you can't afford to tip you can't afford to eat out.. Is Canadian math so bad that you can't factor in a decent tip when you're planning how much a night out will cost you?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't get how in some parts of the US the thickness of milkshakes is something to brag about. That just makes it harder to drink. :(

If they are too thin you're just drinking chocolate (or whatever flavor) milk with extra sugar. Also, some people like being challenged by their food.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

We're both Canadian, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Canada barely counts as "not America, " depending on what parts of Canada and America you guys are from/visiting there's a bigger culture shock going to a different state than going to and from Canada.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

I finished Gillen's run on Young Avengers.

That seriously might be my most favorite single-shot story arc. Like I love Hickman's "mega run" from Dark Reign: Fantastic Four to Secret Wars better, because it's a crazy epic, but when it comes to contained, "seasonal" storytelling Young Avengers did it better than pretty much everyone else. It came in, told a fantastic evolving story with love and loss and heartbreak, with an absolute ton of comedy sprinkled throughout to keep it light and make the emotive moments land, ended perfectly, and even had a literal party epilogue that sewed up whatever loose ends were lying around. In an industry focused on neverending storytelling (for obvious reasons) Gillen's Young Avengers run just came in, dropped in awesome story, and loving left. It was loving fantastic.

Also the art was loving incredible. Like Wiccan getting stuck in the panel only for young Loki to kick in the side of it to release him was some loving brilliant panel layout. The fight scenes to close out the run were all great, and basically everything about Mother's dimension used negative space and pure white to make it this creepy, haunting wrong place. And when Demiurge finally shows up and stands on every panel of the comic made up to that point, that entire layout idea was loving brilliant.

McKelvie is a loving treasure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Just a reminder that I will be working on a May chat thread. By working I mean I will probably poop up something at 11:59 Pacific time (aka the best time).

Also Joker's real name will be Wayne Bruce. Called it.

You know it's only the 27th, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Here is a weird matter of opinion kind of question for you goons, but which writers do you think have (or had) the best voice/take on which character. What I mean is that there is usually a character who can be kind of boring or whatnot, but every now and again a writer gets a hold on that character and makes them shine. We know about stuff like Peter David's Hulk run where he got a great voice on the character and made him something special. So which other writer's do you think really excelled with certain characters.

Stan Lee, almost every one.

• Locked thread