Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Invincible is one of those books I just really wish I still liked because it did things I liked but it turns out the things I liked were just covering for the real story which I loathed. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Frigging doubleposts

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Haha no, that was a super interesting idea that ended in an abrupt, stupid, and depressing fashion (and also no issues have come out since it ended).

every_invincible_thing_that_shows_promise.txt

Dare I ask how it ended?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Sure!

So Mark finds this weird magic plant or something in a random planet and inexplicably wakes up back where issue 1 started, but with all his memories. He uses that knowledge to get out ahead of all the plot twists and defuse them, turning his dad good before he can ever go on his initial rampage and just generally being there ahead of time for every bad thing that's going to happen and stopping it first. Which is great, but after a few months, suddenly realizes that although he's teaming up with the woman he ended up marrying and having a daughter with, she's still dating someone else at this point in time, and he's gained everything but lost her. So he goes up to his room and has a cry about it, at which point the weird plant appears and goes "but you've saved so many". In a conversation with the weird plant, the plant agrees with Mark that yeah, it's pretty inevitable he'll end up with his wife anyway, but it'll be in a different fashion, and while they might have kids, it won't be the daughter he knows (since the exact circumstances of her conception have already changed). The plant says it can send Mark back to his original timeline, but that'll re-do all the deaths he's prevented and will continue to prevent, and also will cause some horrible calamity in the future. Mark presses for details, the plant refuses to give any, Mark declares that to be not good enough then and demands to be sent back. The plant says then Mark has doomed the world and is a "disgrace", and sends him back. Mark returns home and sees a vastly older daughter (she was an infant when he left) asking if he's her daddy, revealing he's been gone for at least five years.

NO ISSUES SINCE

That sounds like it's making fun of Barry Allen to me but it may just be how it is described.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Sub-par is generous. He draws singularity-fetishizing atheism comics about a big-titted japanese waifu with a robot arm and her steampunk friends. It's such wall-to-wall pandering that the whole thing ought to run on bamboo, but he seems to be doing it unironically.

"It's so wall to wall pandering that it ought to run on bamboo" is a wonderful phrase.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Ms. Marvel gets the crown for that, actually. Silk also loses points for her...deeply unfortunate introduction in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man & Spider-Verse.

Silk is great in her own book but yeah she is a complete shitfest when first debuted. :smith:

Admittedly recently they've done a great job of spinning poo poo into gold with the crappier Spider-spinoffs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It was depressing reading JLI and having Animal Man drop out because his entire family was brutally murdered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What Ifs own. They're about as much fanfiction as the actual story themselves anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks for the kind words. This isn't easy on anyone, but we're all pitching in together to help my grandma get through it, if nothing else.

That's really all you can do. That's a crappy loss and I'm sorry to hear it.

• Locked thread