Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yo I caught up on Vision and that is some loving next level poo poo, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CapnAndy posted:

I'm not gonna say Vision is the best comic book coming out right now but if anyone doesn't think it's at least in the top 5, me and them can't be friends.

It might be. I'd put Silk up there, though.

Actually I'd argue that Silk is the best character that's debuted this decade, from the big two at least.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Ms. Marvel gets the crown for that, actually. Silk also loses points for her...deeply unfortunate introduction in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man & Spider-Verse.

I would say that's a testament to how good a character she is, that she overcomes both Slott and:

To be a super fascinating character.

Like, here's the thing, it would definitely be fair to say that Marvel is The House That Spidey Built. And it's easy to see why; he's a tragic, flawed character from the beginning and the first truly "teenage" superhero, defined more by his limitations then his abilities.

I love Spider-Man, and he's a great loving character, but he's also been around for 55 years. He's grown up, fell in love, gotten married, had a kid who was then miscarried, saw his girlfriend get killed (possibly due to his own actions), got a new suit, got possessed by that new suit, watched his aunt die, and then had all that retconned in a very, very regrettable storyline. He's been on virtually every superhero team, including the Fantastic Four, revealed his secret identity, and become a titan of industry. He met every alternate version of himself and they all teamed up to kill off multiversal cannibals. He even got killed, and possessed by one of his enemies in one of the most regrettable storylines in existence. gently caress, he even turned black.

The point being that they've mined virtually everything they reasonably could out of the character (some would argue they went past it). He's not Batman and he's not Superman, two characters defined as being stagnant. He's a teenager, he changes, he develops, but it's hard to see after 55 years of stories where they could reasonably go with him. I mean, he's still great, but he's not surprising and new like he was during the Silver Age.

Silk feels like a modern-day Spider-Man, in that her central conflict feels sophisticated and modern. She feels like a character created in the 21st century, even disregarding the silliness of her backstory or that she was invented as basically a retcon, she's a woman in her late twenties with deep, deep mental issues that plague her. That's new, in a way that Marvel's other attempts to make Spider-Man more modern - Spider-Gwen and Ultimate Spider-Man - haven't quite been able to accomplish. I love me some Miles Morales, but it often feels like he's addressing Peter Parker's stories from a different perspective, over how Cindy Moon feels totally and completely different.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Vision's dog's name better be an incredibly long and convoluted acronym that spells a traditional dog name, like B.O.W.S.E.R. or F.I.D.O. or something. That sort of missing-the-point attempts at humanity filtered through their inhumanity that's the core of their comedy and tragedy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finished Gillen's run on Young Avengers.

That seriously might be my most favorite single-shot story arc. Like I love Hickman's "mega run" from Dark Reign: Fantastic Four to Secret Wars better, because it's a crazy epic, but when it comes to contained, "seasonal" storytelling Young Avengers did it better than pretty much everyone else. It came in, told a fantastic evolving story with love and loss and heartbreak, with an absolute ton of comedy sprinkled throughout to keep it light and make the emotive moments land, ended perfectly, and even had a literal party epilogue that sewed up whatever loose ends were lying around. In an industry focused on neverending storytelling (for obvious reasons) Gillen's Young Avengers run just came in, dropped in awesome story, and loving left. It was loving fantastic.

Also the art was loving incredible. Like Wiccan getting stuck in the panel only for young Loki to kick in the side of it to release him was some loving brilliant panel layout. The fight scenes to close out the run were all great, and basically everything about Mother's dimension used negative space and pure white to make it this creepy, haunting wrong place. And when Demiurge finally shows up and stands on every panel of the comic made up to that point, that entire layout idea was loving brilliant.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

"Ugh, gotta go guys. No, no, it's not you, it's just my creepy stalker ex. He has this whole thing. It's weird and usually involves omnicide. I don't want to mess with this whole...business, but, anyways, yeah. Kisses, love you both, bye!"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Joker's true name....is...

Clark. Kent.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

No. That's not possible.

Yeah you're right, sorry.

Kal-El. His name is Kal-El.

What about Jo-Kal-El. That'll be his name.See it turns out that he engineered the destruction of Krypton and then piloted his ship to earth (all as a baby, natch) then duped everyone in Metropolis to believe he is, in fact, Superman only to get close to Batman so he'd reveal all of this and truly prove, once and for all, that he and Batman are exactly alike. Also that's why he had the Joker imposter he coerced with...let's go with Scarecrow fear gas to believe he was the Joker cut his own face off, because he was never the true face of the Joker maaaaan.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

"His true name is 'Loki AgentOfAsgard'".

THAT'S RIGHT FUCKERS CROSSOVERS ARE BACK

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The first few pages were in color because weekly manga are published (or republished) in big omnibus manga weeklies (like Shonen Jump, the biggest example) before being collected in "trades", aka indidividual books. In contrast to Western comics, virtually every comic in existence is beholden to the big weekly publishers for both money and exposure because the system isn't really in place to follow an ongoing manga as it's ongoing individually. Trades (volumes) are a secondary market, and even the HUGE, HUGE comics like One Piece or Naruto (when it was still ongoing) got published in SJ. The indie manga scene still isn't really a "thing".

In any case big publishers like SJ usually pick a couple of titles every week which they then colorize the first few pages of, because it looks attractive to anyone picking up Shonen casually to see them. It varies on what they pick and why - usually they pick big action sequences, naked stuff, or comics they're trying to push the popularity of. Comic debuts almost always end up colorized, as well as big "events".

Also, I dunno what you've been reading but manga is very very often extremely bad. Besides the creepy sex stuff, which makes DC look like Archie comics, comic spaces are at a premium because as aforementioned everyone basically relies on Shonen Jump to surface their work, and there's a premium on slots to go around. On top of that, all Japanese comic publishers rely entirely on reader polls to determine what gets cut and what doesn't. Like, you think DC or Marvel editorial is bad? Imagine if there was some massive, constantly updated fanpoll that determined what gets renewed and what gets cancelled. Imagine the upset backwards-rear end losers that write into Marvel every time two men kiss, or Captain America or Spider-Man is black, being treated with actual seriousness and weight. Imagine similar cretins who Well actually, in Issue 209 we actually saw Superman say "Hi" to Lex Luthor's wife in one panel so this Lex getting married subplot is NOT ORIGINAL OR CANON, god, I hope someone got fired over this blunder being giving the respect they do not deserve. And, finally, imagine a scenario where the number one way to tank your fanpoll is to take any hiatus at all whatsoever, so outside of breathing-room week-long breaks scattered throughout the year everyone is constantly working, and when they can't figure out how to progress or start a narrative they just write filler. That's Japanese comics, the "beach episode" is A Thing because it's a way to draw girls in bikinis and stabilize your fanpoll rating while you try and figure out how to relax from having worked six months straight of twenty-hour workdays. And if you complain, or try to take serious breaks, at least to refresh creative juices, your comic is canned and the slot is given to somebody else.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 27, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I'm reading Annihilation Saga, up to Annihilation: Nova. Does the art ever improve? Because it's some gold-plated hot bullshit right now, and it's so bad it's actively detracting from the appeal of the story.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Spider-Women has been a loving great crossover, and feels like a crossover naturally built to in all three comics that lead into it over just this random sort of weird pause in between arcs.

Also it's helped revitalize a sagging Spider-Gwen in a really powerful way.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fraction's Hawkeye, almost certainly.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

People constantly talk up Simonson's Thor, although I've never read it. Miller's Batman (Year One, specifically, although TDKR works as well) and Daredevil are basically the current takes on the character that blueprints exactly who they are in their various mediums.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Isn't that basically what happened when Miller did Year One and Born Again, especially for the latter though? Not being facetious or rhetorical, sincerely asking. A lot of people I read up about comics say that Miller basically redefined both characters permanently by rewriting both Daredevil and Batman's own history.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Annihilation was a loving mess of bad art and really poor treatment of female characters (basically every main male character ends up "slapping some sense" into some main female character over being hysterical or some poo poo, and basically every single female character was defined by being either a damsel or madly in love with the Big Strong Male Character (who, incidentally, was just slapping them around)), but god loving drat if Annihilation: Conquest wasn't the best poo poo.

Like, man, Annihilation: Conquest was so loving good. Frustrating you have to trudge through like thirty issues of Gamora being even more embarrassingly...female superhero than the norm to get to the great poo poo. I mean, Annihilation was still fun as hell and Thanos was an awesome dick, but god if it doesn't feel enjoyable despite its own efforts to look like an ugly regressive piece of poo poo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gavok posted:

What If: Annihilation is the best Civil War comic.

Also, yeah, having just read it it's great.

I hate What Ifs...in general and especially What Ifs based off of event series, since it usually boils down to fanfiction of stuff that happened (and when they're based off event series it's almost inevitably "Everyone died and it all went bad forever"), but What If: Annihilation was basically able to intersect both Civil War and Annihilation in a really powerful and effective way.

Also it's worth it just for Nova's absolutely loving incredulous reaction to the fact that the Civil War is even a conflict in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think my favorite part of that whole exchange is Worldmind getting ready to be a passive-aggressive snippy rear end in a top hat like he's always been to Nova and Nova just cuts him off.

• Locked thread