Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Heathen posted:

As far as i know Spider-Man 28 is still the oldest book he has. He talked alot about how hard it was to find one in good shape because of the mostly black cover. He's missing around 60 Amazings.

Our LCBD came back from Chicago with a decent Spider-Man 4. I don't think my co-worker can afford it and I'm thinking of snagging it for myself. I'm not really a big Spider-Man fan, but first appearance of Sandman, why not?

28 is a great cover. My earliest is 16, and I'm missing probably like 80 some odd issues between 1 and 252. I wish I had the disposable income to go back issue hunting.

What are some collections you guys have that span several writers and/or decades that your oddly proud of?

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Little Mac posted:

Hey chat thread. I do some podcasting with some friends and we were going to start a comic podcast, mostly just for fun. It's going to be called Event Fatigue and we'll basically just be talking about event books, one per episode, in no order and not confined to any one company. The trick is that we all have different backgrounds as far as books go: I've read pretty much everything ever, one host is mostly up on modern stuff at a Marvel Unlimited pace, and the other is a lapsed fan.

I want the show to be interesting and funny, giving necessary background both in-continuity and behind-the-scenes, with recaps and sort of a book club feel. We're not popular and that's not really our goal, but I also was hoping to get some interactivity in it. We're starting with the 1985 Secret Wars, which is the obvious starting point, and I figured I'd ask my favorite comic forum for any questions you'd wanted answered about the book - keeping in mind my hosts various backgrounds. So anything from our thoughts on a particular moment or why something happened, which can be researched and answered, or whatever.

Basically I guess I'm asking for kind of like a letters column type of thing? This might just get shitposts in response, but I like talking comics with my non-comicy friends and I like talking comics with you guys, so this is where the two shall meet. If you have anything, you can reply here or PM me or something. Here is chubby Wolverine being scared and angry simultaneously as an offering:

Do a good job explaining the toy deal, and how all the Marvel books jumped ahead in a 52 style time skip, so you had to read the event to find out why Spider-Man has a black suit, and why She Hulk is on the Fantastic Four.

What I'd like to know is what went into having Spider-Man and Spider Woman having matching costumes. The symbiote and Julia Carpenter both came from the event.

And you have to do Secret Wars 2 and then Secret Wars 2015. Do it as a trilogy to maximize marketability. We all know that's what all the best events are about.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

And the kid might just get taken in by a family member. Saved my friend from a bad life.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Any of you comic shop guys got special plans for FCBD? I'm going to be dressing up as Batman again this year, and a local bar is hosting an after party with drink specials for anyone who brings in a FCBD book, as well as a comic book exchange at the bar.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Squizzle posted:

The creative logistics of it, I mean, which are very much an editorial responsibility. Wacker's office had to make sure they had enough moving through the pipeline from multiple creative teams working at different paces, to fulfill a pretty punishing release schedule. And they had some subplots and story arcs that unfolded through multiple creative teams, or which tied into spin-offs (American Son, I think, came during this). They had limited ability to push issues/arcs around the schedule to accommodate a slow team, so editorial needed a good sense of how quickly different creators worked, and how much advance time to build in to allow for someone breaking their drawing arm halfway through an issue, or something needed to get sent back for extensive rewriting, or whatever might happen.

All that stuff is absolutely amazing editing work, even if, as you say, other aspects of the editorial work were less impressive.

Yeah, that was a Herculean effort by Wacker. Wacker was also the one who wanted Carol to become Captain Marvel. He deserves a huge pat on the back for that.

I'm also a fan of Tom Brevoort, and Tomasi.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Are you sure you don't want it like Morrison's Justice League where you have Hippolyta as Wonder Woman for three issues with no explanation coming or going?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yeah, it being fun or annoying can depend on which side of the bed I woke up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I hate What Ifs...

Better watch that language with Gavok and I here.

As for Civil War tie ins; Civil War: Runaways & Young Avengers was a lot fun despite, or maybe because, it is very loosely connected to Civil War proper. My only warning is that it will make you want to read Runaways, Young Avengers, and Marvel Boy. Which are all great in their own rights.

• Locked thread