Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macnult

hey Peter Cropes your art is pretty dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult

nice! that's a cool cat.

Macnult

Your artwork never fails to impress, GSJG.

Macnult

last week when it was nice outside I decided try something new and play around with ink on canvas, just to get a feel for it before actually working on something. normally I wouldn't think anything of it but a few of my friends saw it sitting in my room and liked it/thought it was an abstract piece. I told them otherwise but they didn't care. that's art, I suppose.

Macnult

Luvcow posted:

two sunrises in acrylic

these are both great and very calming to look at.

Macnult

Playing around with Photoshop led to this.

Macnult

As you wish.

Macnult

Luvcow posted:

art dump bump: more mice

Nice! I love seeing your mice paintings on here.

Macnult

use the tire to fix the boat!
(looks awesome btw)

Macnult

Android Blues posted:

i drank two cans of cola and decided to draw a six panel comic in ten minutes without using erase or ctrl+z

despite its silly awfulness this was actually a fun exercise that i might repeat in future !

Nice! I've been thinking about using comic panels to get better at drawing.

Since I dislocated my shoulder on Monday I've set a goal to get more comfortable with using graphite and to start drawing regularly again. Drew this little fellow last night:

If anyone has any advice or tips on using graphite/drawing in general I'd really appreciate it. Patience is one of my weaknesses I've noticed so far and I know my technique is pretty sloppy to begin with.

Macnult

another graphite drawing

Macnult

Android Blues posted:

baby steps on animation

nice! what program are you using for animation?

Macnult

holy moly you are good

Macnult

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

This one is a bit NSFW, but I think it turned out ok. http://i.imgur.com/dXAIgTM.jpg

it definitely turned out more than just ok

Macnult

here is a bird i drew. the shading could have been better but i'm still happy with the result

Macnult

Luvcow posted:

thats really good

thanks!

Macnult

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm gonna dump some of my art to stop everyone (key phrase: everyone) from looking any worse

Silk screen print of birbs

Monoprints made with block printing ink

I like these a lot
especially this one

it makes me picture I'm in a city looking straight up, the lines on the bottom are like a fire escape or scaffolding and on each side are two different buildings

Macnult

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The term "Monoprint" is pretty loose, it basically refers to anything that you've sent through a printing press, but I'm boring and just used materials you'd be using in normal prinmaking anyways. I covered a zinc plate in printmaking ink, which is like a super-dense paint that you apply with a roller. Then I use a tiny bamboo pen to carve out a sketch of where I want things to be, and then I scrape away areas of ink with tiny rectangles of mat board. Lastly, I blot the entire thing with a rag to get a little bit of variation in the dark areas. Once I finished preparing the plate, I put a damp piece of paper on top and send the whole thing through the printing press.

You can do this with pretty much anything though. I've used plexiglass squares in classrooms where we didn't have fancy zinc plates (you just need to be careful when sending it through the press so the glass doesn't fracture), and you can start with a clean plate and essentially paint onto it instead of wiping ink away. You can put stencils on for texture, or straight-up glue something onto the paper and send it through. Like I said, it's a pretty general term, but I really like the system I've got down. Here's two more I made the same way.

how long have you been doing this for? these look awesome

Macnult

bacalou posted:

id wear this on a shirt

:agreed:

Macnult

Luvcow posted:

I went to my parents place today and ended up helping my mom make some little houses for their annual craft fair. This is my tower made from a coffee can, pea gravel, day lilly stems, a pine cone, two acorns, a marble and a glue gun that burned me multiple loving times:

this is a cute house :) I like the acorn light

Macnult

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's been a week since anyone took an art dump so I'm gonna CPR this thread with more printmaking

that looks awesome

is printmaking difficult to get into?

Macnult

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It depends! The one I just posted is an etching, which means I used acid to dissolve metal, so obviously that one is really hard to start practicing yourself at home. Honestly, if my university weren't cool and didn't let alumni come back and do work in the studios, I have no idea where I would even work on etchings. Every other kind of printmaking is really easy to try yourself though. The top image here is a wood block carving, and the bottom one is a linoleum block carving. You can buy a perfectly good linoleum carving multitool for like $8 and linoleum for printmaking is dirt cheap. For wood carving, two tools (a big one and a small one for fine details) are pretty much all I use, and you can carve into most kinds of plywood. The most expensive aspect of most paper-based arts is the paper itself, but you can get super good deals if you buy from school suppliers like Dick Blick instead of buying non-bulk you get from stores like Hobby Lobby.

that's not bad at all. thanks :)

Macnult

Luvcow posted:

Doing a sketch class with some kids and recently been working with them to draw from pictures which gives me the chance to sketch with them albeit i'm sketching upside down from the other side of the table so they can follow along.

Ends up being really fun because the drawings are quick and dirty and usually just in a number 2 pencil so it's kinda like back in school when i'd just draw in my notebooks during classes when the teacher wasn't looking except i'm doing it upside down and never quite sure how accurate it will look once i turn it right side up.

First two are from a bird magazine:

an old man from a nat geo article about blindness:

wolverine from the two or three weeks they wanted to draw from comic books:

these are all really good i love the 2nd bird sketch

Macnult

Luvcow posted:

Not with that picture, which is why i felt safe posting it :(

Because kids aren't supposed to use iPads/Electronic devices before bed they wanted to scrap that idea, kinda crushed my motivation on that one.

old farts don't understand the magic of f.lux

Macnult

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I made astronaut Samus Aran

I like this a lot

Macnult

I took a break from typing a paper tonight and doodled with some ink that was gifted to me

Macnult

Gatekeeper posted:

🐘 made out of ॐ

this looks cool and oddly tasty

Luvcow posted:

i really like this style. my grandparents had a good friend who was an artist and did work like this and it gets me nostalgic.
edit:

the only picture i still have of my grandparents pen and ink artist friend's:

i wish i knew your grandparent's friend. i love drawing in this style whenever i use ink

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I've been working on a comic idea, that's more a learning exercise than anything else. I've got about 6 pages written and I'm aiming for around 10 total, and starting to mess around with character concepts. I haven't really drawn in a long time, so I'm having to relearn a lot of stuff that used to be second nature.

This first guy is nobody, but I'm going to recycle parts of him into another character:

This fella is one of the main character's that I've been calling Slug the Strong and Many:

Slug looks many strong. i'm curious to see what the other character is gonna look like

Macnult

i looked more into that pen/ink art style and found a bunch of rembrandt drawings which led me to making this:

Macnult

thanks everyone :)

Hugh Malone posted:

I've been thinking about getting some charcoals and a sketch pad, so I can smudge out my inevitable many mistakes hopefully

E: also gonna self teach because I'm old and I dont need directions, I know where I'm going edith!

go for it! charcoal is fun to work with and pretty forgiving. you may want to get actual charcoal paper instead of a sketch pad though just so it holds better

Macnult

Hugh Malone posted:

good advice macnult, ty

think i remember it has thin sheets between pages to protect your work too, right? i will pick up some supplies on satyrday and draw something :)

I've never had one with thin sheets between pages, but that sounds like a bonus if you find one that does

Macnult

Jedrick posted:

Started painting again.

i love the glow this appears to have

Hugh Malone posted:

Getting charcoal today

:toxx:

:dance:

Macnult

Hugh Malone posted:

they were out of vine charcoal but this should get me started

vine charcoal is the bees knees but regardless you're definitely set :)

Salmiakki posted:

detail from some fanart i drew for a cartoon

I don't recognize the cartoon but I love the colors

Macnult

here's a kitty cat

Macnult

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

when i'm on the phone, i draw dots

please stop calling me my fingers hurt

:love:

A Spider Covets posted:

first time art poster, i don't think i've ever posted my art on SA before because i never finish anything but here is a chickadee i did while bored

he is dubious

and i like ursula a lot, she's the coolest disney villain, depending on whether or not maleficent is around

i hope you keep posting your art on here. i really like that birb

Macnult

I love all of these

Macnult

Here's a wooden figurine I drew today:

Macnult

Robot Made of Meat posted:

What an odd looking . . . . figurine.

I guess that'd be the word for it? it's a mini wooden statue (~7" tall) my grandmother gave me years ago

your doodles really liven up the place Rushi :3:

Macnult

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I was making a reference to the blockbuster motion picture experience, "Doom House." It was the must-see movie of 2005.

Macnult

added sepia ink wash to the background for the wooden figurine and it looks a lot nicer I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult

Gatekeeper posted:

my friend is super into jodorowsky and we love dissecting this kooky movie so i made her a neat thing, my interpretation of her interpretation of holy mountain :^)

I like this a lot

• Locked thread