Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35940302

is everyone excited about electric vehicles and nerd savior elon musk's new "cheap" car? because im not. barring the obvious infrastructural problems of finding a place to plug in your car, dropping 35k on this seems like a huge waste of money compared to what you can get for a 35k conventional gas car. overall, electric vehicles are neat experiments, but are currently rich people toys who want to pat themselves on the back for "reducing their carbon footprint". otoh reducing reliance on gas, trying to innovate new technologies, and sticking to BIG AUTO is important or something like that.

also lmao @ franchise laws in the US that classify a car manufacturer directly selling to a customer as a "crime". destroy all car dealerships (i lust for car salesmen death).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I served Michael Buffer once, and he was driving a Lotus

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
i took an uber ride in one, it was really nice. the guy's license plate was END OIL

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

infrastructure will be fine since you can just program the charging schedule and plug it in overnight when there's no load from business/industry on the power grid

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a cool lookin car.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Encrypted posted:

infrastructure will be fine since you can just programing the charging schedule and plug it in overnight when there's no load from business/industry on the power grid

No you see it's actually an issue with puny neighborhood transformer stations being overwhelmed. So therefore you're being mislead.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
with the onset of LED lightning and poo poo now, i wouldnt be surprised if the delta between daytime and night power grid load was shrinking a bit. Soon there won't be discount overnight electricity, and in fact it may be more expensive, becuase they know your rear end needs it to get to work tomorrow. you can't fill up a tank of volts for the whole week

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Do they sell teslas that have real gauges and temperature controls, or is the interior of your car being a touchscreen with no physical landmarks a requirement

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a lot of people are suspecting that's a beta/concept car tier dash and that there'll be something else to look at. Nobody's sure right now though

but yeah giant touchscreens are something tesla continues to be teased about. here's the model S. people pay 80,000 dollars for this.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jonny 290 posted:

with the onset of LED lightning and poo poo now, i wouldnt be surprised if the delta between daytime and night power grid load was shrinking a bit. Soon there won't be discount overnight electricity, and in fact it may be more expensive, becuase they know your rear end needs it to get to work tomorrow. you can't fill up a tank of volts for the whole week

The reason for the price difference during the day is from business that operate large electric motors/heaters/machines that use hundreds of times more electricity than a skyscraper's lighting. Car washes, printing presses, manufacturing factories, food processing factories, laundromats, ovens in restaurants, AC/Heating units in offices, bottling plants, recycling plants, sawmills, etc. They all use massive amounts of electricity and are predominantly being used during the day. The load on the grid is still pretty high during the evening, as people are all using their electric ovens, microwaves and dishwashers, but at night your grid is pretty much dead compared to peak usage during the day.

Power companies would love nothing more than to have a flat rate and just rape us 24/7, but I don't think that it's going to happen for a while.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Jonny 290 posted:

That's scary don't tell me things like this any more thank you have a fine day.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

tactile sensation is important to have, so having a physical knob or button to push when your driving and not being distracted and crashing into a tree seems significant

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Blistex posted:

The reason for the price difference during the day is from business that operate large electric motors/heaters/machines that use hundreds of times more electricity than a skyscraper's lighting. Car washes, printing presses, manufacturing factories, food processing factories, laundromats, ovens in restaurants, AC/Heating units in offices, bottling plants, recycling plants, sawmills, etc. They all use massive amounts of electricity and are predominantly being used during the day. The load on the grid usually drops off after supper, as people are all using their electric ovens, microwaves and dishwashers, but at night your grid is pretty much dead compared to peak usage during the day.

Power companies would love nothing more than to have a flat rate and just rape us 24/7, but I don't think that it's going to happen for a while.

Right on. I should have thought of the industrial load. Though don't steel mills and refineries cut deals with power company to do their heavy hitting on off-hours in exchange for a discount, when it's possible?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

a lot of people are suspecting that's a beta/concept car tier dash and that there'll be something else to look at. Nobody's sure right now though

but yeah giant touchscreens are something tesla continues to be teased about. here's the model S. people pay 80,000 dollars for this.

I like Teslas and I was hoping my last car would last long enough to get me to when the model 3 released (it didn't). My new car has a little touchscreen that can work the climate control (and other stuff, I guess), in addition to its physical controls. I have to flip my phone mount down to access the physical controls, and I still prefer to do that by feel instead of trying to use the touchscreen while I'm driving. I really don't get the insistence on making the whole panel like a big tablet

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Happy Bear Suit posted:

tactile sensation is important to have, so having a physical knob or button to push when your driving and not being distracted and crashing into a tree seems significant

Trying to fool around with the more specific climate controls on my journey is a bit of a pain as it is a touchscreen, so I usually wait until I have a straight stretch with empty road. Everything being a slick surface seems like it would be annoying and dangerous.

Jonny 290 posted:

Right on. I should have thought of the industrial load. Though don't steel mills and refineries cut deals with power company to do their heavy hitting on off-hours in exchange for a discount, when it's possible?

I'm wondering what a giant office building uses power wise given the sheer number of computers and copiers going non-stop, and then having to crank the AC to keep all that generated heat under wraps.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
isnt there something like a $10000 software upgrade you can get to tune one of the tesla models to go redanculous fast as gently caress like 0-60 in 3 seconds or am i just daydreaming wrong?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Happy Bear Suit posted:

The buttons on the steering wheel do a decent job but I agree 100% - I want a knob for the stereo, a knob for for vent temperature, and a knob for fan strength.

Every new car tries to mess with it (Thanks Corolla! I totally want to hit a button a bunch of times to turn down the fan strength) but it was always perfectly intuitive for driving before company's had to think "Different."

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blistex posted:

The reason for the price difference during the day is from business that operate large electric motors/heaters/machines that use hundreds of times more electricity than a skyscraper's lighting. Car washes, printing presses, manufacturing factories, food processing factories, laundromats, ovens in restaurants, AC/Heating units in offices, bottling plants, recycling plants, sawmills, etc. They all use massive amounts of electricity and are predominantly being used during the day. The load on the grid is still pretty high during the evening, as people are all using their electric ovens, microwaves and dishwashers, but at night your grid is pretty much dead compared to peak usage during the day.

That off peak stuff is a bunch of horse poo poo. The higher the draw on the grid, the less loss there is. All generation methods become more efficient with higher ampere loads. If you don't use it you lose it, it just goes to ground.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Really want one of thosecars.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

The only beta here is y0u bithc

SUCK MY TRAKTOR!!!!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jastiger posted:

Really want one of thosecars.

dont think the feeling's mutual

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny 290 posted:

dont think the feeling's mutual

I actually knew about that and am sad. THere are a few Tesla's here in Des Moines though which has me wondering what they do to charge them conveniently. It has to be doable because I've seen them out and about more than a few times here in town over the last year or so.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

$35k is in the budget range for petty bourgeois

The S class with extra options is around $118k so it was only for rich Bay Area techies.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I want one so I'll never have to replace another goddamn alternator again.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

last i heard you could brick those idiot cars by letting the batteries go completely flat

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

That off peak stuff is a bunch of horse poo poo. The higher the draw on the grid, the less loss there is. All generation methods become more efficient with higher ampere loads. If you don't use it you lose it, it just goes to ground.

Im retarded, what does this mean? LIke a power plant will produce 1000amperes and the more consumers use this ampere the less becomes wasted? This "ground" you reference, does that mean that this excess electricity gets sent to the 'ground'? Please advise.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

It'd be surprising if they don't have heads up display on the windshield as standard by production. Amazon sells gadgets that project HUD for less than 100 dollars.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yo mining all that nickel cadmium from sudbury and shipping it to tokyo is pretty bad for the ole environ, imo

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!
No but I have driven a Ford Focus does that count?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Malf posted:

No but I have driven a Ford Focus does that count?

The Ford Fuckus FTW.

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."
I've driven both the Roadster and the S. They are good cars.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

etalian posted:

$35k is in the budget range for petty bourgeois

that's before the 7500 federal tax credit though plus whatever state credit if you don't live in a stupid place

like in california it's an extra 2500 on top of the federal credit so a base level model 3 will be about as expensive as a honda accord, assuming you're one of the first 200k people to buy one

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
how long does it take charge one, like if you're driving cross country you gotta sit there and wait for it to charge? lol

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
they have some kind of auto-traffic mode where the car will just drive for you in a traffic jam and you can just jo or whatever

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jonny 290 posted:

See that looks cool but wtf is that bin thing in the center console? Looks like a bedliner for a truck or something. It would look great without that thing.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

City of Tampa posted:

they have some kind of auto-traffic mode where the car will just drive for you in a traffic jam and you can just jo or whatever

Sold!

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Spectral Debt posted:

how long does it take charge one, like if you're driving cross country you gotta sit there and wait for it to charge? lol

I wanna know this and also the range per charge.

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013
Friend dropped 100k on one and let me drive it. Seemed neat and has some good conceptual stuff going for it. Had enough torque to be impressive, but not enough to want to spend three times as much as an Evo or STI. The ride height adjust was cool. It's an Apple early adopter car. It will probably help shape future generations of cars, ... But 100k ...

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Spectral Debt posted:

roughly 30 minutes per 170 miles with a SuperCharger, some hours with a high-speed in-home charger

it's not really a big deal as

rock rock posted:

I wanna know this and also the range per charge.

the base model (which btw will be more like 25 grand with tax credits) gets 215 miles apparently, there will no doubt be models with bigger packs that get more miles (i suspect up to around 400-500 miles on the high end)

so basically you stop every 300 miles for an hour, big woop, you were probably doing that anyway for lunch and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

literally a fish posted:

there will no doubt be models with bigger packs that get more miles (i suspect up to around 400-500 miles on the high end)

probably closer to 250, maybe 300

• Locked thread