Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you own a gun?
I DO own a gun
I DON'T own a gun
View Results

• Locked thread
new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
I have a shotgun, at least five rifles, and like 10 or so pistols (not going to go count just for this post). Used to go out to the woods and shoot all the time, now I live in Chicago so I can't. The reason I have so many, I like to compare to having a shoe, purse, or jewelry collection: they're technically all the same thing, but also very different, and all are tailored to different uses. I've used a personally owned gun to save a woman's life once, and possibly her daughter's life as well, without firing the gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

fickle poofterist posted:

Can an ausgoon who reoads their own ammo load up some 22lr tracers and sell em to me for retarded amounts? Ill pay 50c+ p round

Cheers

Hi AFP

Pretty much nobody reloads rimfire cartridges, it's a huge pain in the rear end. Also, I seriously doubt anyone in Australia reloads at all, it's likely 500 different kinds of illegal there. Hth somehow

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
If you want cheap glocks, check aimsurplus.com regularly, they often get police dept trade ins.
e: and for AK variants, atlanticfirearms is where it's at

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 4, 2016

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

thathonkey posted:

going to indoor firing ranges is ok.. until you become aware youre in a tiny enclosed space with a bunch of strangers with guns. and you do have dickheads that bring in the loudest poo poo to an indoor range like a steyr aug for example that would do it...

This is true, but it can get so much worse. Last time I was at an indoor pistol range (second Wednesday of last month), some idiot kept shooting the steel target hangers with his gently caress off huge revolver at close range. Ricochet hit a light fixture next to another target stand, shrapnel hit shooter there in the forehead. About 10 seconds later, I get hit in the back by a fully expanded copper jacket. Felt like a punch right between my shoulders, thought I got shot, but it didn't penetrate. Scratched and bruised, ruined my nice white polo :(

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
No, a dank old basement with poor ventilation and like one light bulb, rusty old cable pulleys set up to move targets, each held together by a single screw. Staff rarely pays attention, I think the guy slunk out after I got hit. Actually, everyone but I left immediately after those two incidents (I had just arrived), so I had the place to myself for a while, and no more pieces of bullet came flying uprange for the rest of my time there.
I used to like the place because it's super cheap (:tenbux: per lane-hour) and the shop reminds me of the gun shops in gta5, but I'm prob not going back again.

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 6, 2016

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Nooner posted:

if you havent ever gone shooting, go buy yourself an old Mosin-Nagant for like $80 at Big 5 and a crate of a million rounds for like another $100 and then go to the range with your old man, its a ton of fun and youll enjoy the time you spent together

Yeah maybe if you have a time machine to take you back in 2010; good luck with those prices today.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
.22 has settled at around 10cpr, and is still in/out of stock rather sporadically due to preppers, regardless of region.

Mosins and 54r surplus cost more today for a variety of reasons:
Milsurp being milsurp, supply is naturally limited, and prices go up as the supply dries up. When Mosins were <$100/unit, people were literally buying them by the crate because they could, and now there just aren't as many left to go around, and nobody is making new ones. This is the biggest factor.
The panics which have happened between 2010 and now have further strained supply and stimulated prices.
Finally, Obama's executive order to stop Russian firearms and ammo imports in response to the Ukraine crisis limited supply even more, but this likely had the least impact of the three.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Snowman Crossing posted:

I got a new gun today for lawful killing purposes

I want one of these so bad. Where'd you manage to find one with a threaded barrel? I haven't seen those on the market yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Snowman Crossing posted:

I went through Gunbroker. I couldn't find a threaded barrel version from any of my favorite retailers, so I just did the GB search and found a reputable seller who hadn't marked it up too badly. Paid $370.

Thanks!

• Locked thread