Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

aaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

gently caress this happy horse poo poo! it doesnt loving work like that you fucks!

http://smile.amazon.com/Sentey-LS-6141-Aluminum-Charging-Portable/dp/B00OKRLHVU/
^^^ more like gently caress off and die forever idiot!

type c cant take over literally everything soon enough, post in this thread to agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
what's the problem

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SpaceAceJase posted:

what's the problem

it's u. dsyp

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

SpaceAceJase posted:

what's the problem

it causes people to come to where i work and ask for a "usb to usb" cable so they can connect two computers. the last time I saw a usb<>ethernet<>usb data transfer cable was in like 2007

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i have an external hard drive that takes a usb to usb cable, and a lenovo laptop that takes some hosed up thing that's almost an A to A cable except the end that goes into the computer has a little tumor on it to make sure you don't accidentally plug a 20V usb cable into a 5V usb port.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
it's like a double ended dildo

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

atomicthumbs posted:

it causes people to come to where i work and ask for a "usb to usb" cable so they can connect two computers. the last time I saw a usb<>ethernet<>usb data transfer cable was in like 2007

sorry about your best buy job

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I have an ancient yumcha hard disk case that takes an A-A cable

for some reason I have at least two (2) A-A cables though

also I posted this before but a relay system I work on has liberal abuse of USB specs to surface-mount an A socket on a dizzy board

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

also I posted this before but a relay system I work on has liberal abuse of USB specs to surface-mount an A socket on a dizzy board

this owns in a horrifying sort of way

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

~Coxy posted:

:mad:

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

~Coxy posted:

im not sure whether to be sorta impressed or horrified

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

~Coxy posted:

noice

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I had a external hard drive kit that took notebook pata drives and in addition to being poo poo since it couldn't really source enough current from one usb hole it also used an A to A cable. Still salty as heck!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i also have a usb 3.0 hard drive enclosure with an A to A cable

i suspect a lot of manufacturers are doing this because 3.0 micro B is such an embarrassing piece of poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I am also very mad when manufacturers give people the connection they actually want.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

GameCube posted:

a 20V usb cable into a 5V usb port.

a what

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

do not buy a lenovo product that is not a thinkpad

edit:

quote:

The special "fool proof" charging cord has two extra pins on the AC adapter end and two extra pins on the Yoga 3 Pro end. The extra pins only make a connection when the fool proof cord is plugged in to the Lenovo charger and the Yoga 3 Pro. When a regular USB cord is plugged into either the charger or the Yoga 3 Pro, it makes a regular USB connection.

well i suppose if you don't like usb-C that's one way to do it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

why the gently caress would they do that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
because usbc has licensing costs and lenovo is now the cheapest of dogshit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lmao

i have a lenovo laptop and its power connector is the same exterior size a usb plug, but the inside is totally different so you can't accidentally plug it into a usb port or plug a usb into the power jack.

it makes the side of the laptop look nice and even cause it's all square connectors but actually going so far as including a usb plug inside is dumb on a level that only apple w/ single usb-c has so far achieved

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i have a lenovo laptop

goondolences

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's good.

Apr 7, 2003

It's bad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You haven't used my laptop, but I have. My opinion is more valid than yours here.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
it's yospos bad

which means it's actually good but not for hipsters

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

You haven't used my laptop, but I have. My opinion is more valid than yours here.

I can assure you, it is bad.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lenovo is dogshit. the only good windows oem is microsoft.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i hope i literally never again have to buy a computing product from anyone but microsoft or apple

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

lenovo is dogshit.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ThinkPad T series supremacy is the official thread position on the issue, but lads, please recall that our topic is violations of the usb specs to necessitate an A to A cable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

ThinkPad T series supremacy is the official thread position on the issue, but lads, please recall that our topic is violations of the usb specs to necessitate an A to A cable.

i've never seen one of those, unless you're counting M to F extenders

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sagebrush posted:

i've never seen one of those, unless you're counting M to F extenders

There's a pic of one in the op, dummy.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sagebrush posted:

lmao

i have a lenovo laptop and its power connector is the same exterior size a usb plug, but the inside is totally different so you can't accidentally plug it into a usb port or plug a usb into the power jack.

it makes the side of the laptop look nice and even cause it's all square connectors but actually going so far as including a usb plug inside is dumb on a level that only apple w/ single usb-c has so far achieved

also that's the third change to lenovo charger plugs in about 3 years

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i looked for an a-to-a when i was a kid because i wanted to transfer files between computers without buying ethernet cards and a twisted cable
and now you're telling me it wouldnt even have worked? that the "universal" serial bus can't connect one device to another device?
stupid poo poo, should have stuck with the superior rs-232 technology

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

suffix posted:

i looked for an a-to-a when i was a kid because i wanted to transfer files between computers without buying ethernet cards and a twisted cable
and now you're telling me it wouldnt even have worked? that the "universal" serial bus can't connect one device to another device?

fun fact: using a non-null modem rs232 cable to connect two computers is how i fried both a motherboard and hand as A Teen

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

maniacdevnull posted:

fun fact: using a non-null modem rs232 cable to connect two computers is how i fried both a motherboard and hand as A Teen

where did you even get a female to female straight through cable

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

suffix posted:

not only would it not have worked your computer would also not have worked afterward

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

maniacdevnull posted:

ThinkPad X series supremacy is the official thread position on the issue, but lads, please recall that our topic is violations of the usb specs to necessitate an A to A cable.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I bought an elo touch screen monitor for a project I never got around to making. Then the iPad came out and obviated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
wish ur posts were obviated

• Locked thread