Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

parthenocarpy posted:

Along with the Gamma Ray it is about as useless of a weapon as you can find

Lowercase r was really good in my last run, and carried me to level 4 on its own.

Mainly because it had so much ammo and is still better than the starter weapon, that it let me save my Stinger for bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

He does specialize in blocking and using shields, after all.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Finally got a win on run #27 (got close a couple other times, but hosed up on the Dragun). It really feels lame to scale up the health of the enemies based on whatever floor you're on, because it feels like you're losing strength constantly due to the lack of damage+ items. Unless you stumble upon a really good room clearing weapon and a really good boss killing weapon, you start to spiral down to the point where you are constantly struggling for ammo because the shotgun shell gundead take 2.5x more damage to kill and I can't be hosed to sit there plinking away with the starter weapon to save my ammo for where it matters. I mean, veteran enemy types already exist; just spawn less of the basic types and more of the veterans instead of fudging the health to 'increase difficulty'. Sometimes I feel like the game would also benefit from having smaller max ammo capacities, but letting you restock (take maybe 15-20 seconds in combat/instant outside of combat, and refill your ammo to max) so that the player never feels they have to play around with ammo conservation in a game about shooting everything.

Whoever said pickup spawn rates increase the longer you play also seems to be right, as I had a lot more health and ammo pickups to work with past the first 15 runs or so. Unlocking the health+ items from the store should also be a priority for anyone who struggles to get a perfect clear on the bosses. I can usually manage to get one or two a run, but most of the time I gently caress up once near the end of the fight and lose it.

I'll still play the game every once in a while, but I'll probably wait for balance changes or modding (to make my own balance changes) before jumping into the game more seriously to try and 100% it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Nuclear Throne is a game of rocket tag where every weapon is a rocket and the rockets are nukes (and don't get started on the nukes). I don't think this game needs to be that fast paced to be fun, but I do feel it is too slow in its current state.

Edit: Also, for all the talk about how hard it is to get everything to line up to enter the Oubliette, it's funny to look at the global achievement stats and see that more people have entered it compared to pushing a table into a pit.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

parthenocarpy posted:

Sewers are an extra chance at more items, which in this game every character desperately needs.

I think only the Pilot can come out in a net positive from aiming to go to the sewers every game, thanks to the lockpick allowing them to still get a chance of getting good items out of the chests they didn't spend their keys on. Other characters would be better off only going there if it conveniently lines up.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Fans posted:

No people are being massive drama queens. I've never got to the third level without a small bundle of guns of varying usefulness strapped to my butt.

I can make it to floor 4 using only the starter pistol for each class and saving any actual weapon I pick up for bosses, and I can usually enter Floor 4 with close to full health (though not necessarily any perfect boss clears). By that point, I will have hopefully found a weapon I can use during the floor because otherwise it starts taking too long to kill trash enemies to avoid taking damage from the sheer amount of bullets heading in my direction.

That being said, it isn't fun to be super stingy with weapon usage in a game centered around tons of cool weapons. I think the game could afford letting you have the floor 1 chests for free (like Binding of Isaac does) to lessen the feeling of getting RNG screwed by a lack of keys.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Just tried out the sorceress for the first time and oh my god why can't I just turn this on permanently and make money off of it instead of spending money on it? Sure, I don't get to keep weapons safe specifically for boss killing, but I get to use a lot of cool guns throughout all the floor rooms and not care about ammo and actually have fun.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

So the devs basically confirmed that the dropsystem works on "coolness" You only gain coolness if you clear rooms without damage, and it increases chances for an item drop. Once you get a drop the coolness goes down again. ALso you get less or no money drops if you get hit in a room.

Wait, what? That item system is awful. A snowball reward system is alright to do with shells/money (and is implemented already through that second point), where skilled players can cash in their skill to compensate for bad RNG through shops. However, player skill should be divorced from basic item drops like keys, ammo, and health and be made a flat drop rate (I don't mean guaranteed drops, just a static percentage chance of item). It makes it much easier to tweak the expected difficulty of the game (like the average number of keys a player is expected to have at a point in time) and gives players a good baseline expectation on what amount of skill is required to beat the game instead of hiding it behind skill based RNG.

If coolness is an important stat to have, tie it into shells from enemy drops where more coolness = more money (like a combo system) but is dropped to base if you get hit at all; permanent coolness upgrades can raise the combo base.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 11, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Look at all these babies complaining about RNG loving, blaah blahh a bloo bloo. Once you stop playing like a chump the game gets better and better. I never got much into NT and absolutely hated Issac but this game has me hooked. I even started playing NT a bit more because of it :shobon:

Not everything has to be written and set in stone so that you can min/max every play through. Part of this games challenge (and fun) comes from the randomness. I'd hate to see how some of you would react to XCOM, or Mordenheim or something. It's ok not to like it. Not everyone can be cool.

The best comparison to XCOM for this system that I can think of is having injured troops slow down your research and construction times because they aren't available as hard labor during times where they aren't on mission or some excuse. 100% healthy research and construction times would still be exactly the same length as they are in vanilla, it's just there to say you should be punished because you let someone take a single point of poison damage on an otherwise flawless mission :smug:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

I sitll don't understand how this game is tedious, or any of the things you said make it tedious. Binding of Issac is like 100x more tedious :(

Maybe you meant difficult?

Depending on what weapons drop, you may only have weapons that you want to reserve for bosses (to maybe get a flawless and more HP), or are garbage. This means that you will likely use the starting pistol for the rest of the floor. The starting pistol slowly becomes more outclassed on later floors as enemy health scales, meaning you have more opportunity to make more mistakes, which means less loot, which means you are more likely to only have your starting pistol to clear floors, etc. When you get better at the game, bad RNG still means that the first 2/5 to 3/5 of the game involves using the exact same weapons, which feels tedious to the player because they find these reallycool guns that they can't use if they want to beat the boss in a reasonable amount of time.

The game has many small quirks which are okay on their own or maybe in a pair, but combined together really drag the game down for repeat playthroughs. The game even isn't that hard for the first half of the game (except for some boss fights) thanks to dodge rolling once you get used to it. It just feels bad that you have to play under tedious conditions until the RNG feels happy enough to give you enough guns for leeway to actually have some fun.

Again, I state that the sorceress vastly improves the game by cutting some of these quirks out (ammo drops, finding enough keys to get guns, having to use the starter pistol), so much that I would prefer to play this mode all the time instead of being limited access to it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

They're my favorite characters in this game.

My favorite is Military Surplus Orc.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

The best character is very clearly the Hunter's dog.

But you can't pet it, what an awful game.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I prefer this over Isaac because the art style and theme of the game is a lot better- that and the actual mechanics are solid as all hell.

I'd take "wacky faced bullets" over "Lol gross poop and pee monsters" any day of the week.

No arguments there; the game is very smooth, there's a lot of love in the art and world, and I never have gotten frustrated at the controls or hitboxes of anything. It's part of why I'm so frustrated at all the small things that keep me from fully enjoying it.

I'll probably just hook Cheat Engine up for unlimited ammo or credits (for buying Sorceress runs constantly) if the devs feel like this is the balance they want.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Another thing that could fix the key/gun/ammo situation is increasing the max ammo on the majority of the weapons. Some would only need a slight adjustment or none at all, mainly the AoE/multi target ones like explosives and bows, or ones with already very large ammo capacity like the Vulcan Cannon. For the rest, they could use an upwards adjustment in the ballpark of 50-100% more. This would mean you aren't as required to hoard all your ammo for bosses until you find enough weapons to use the poo poo ones/super efficient ones for the rest of the floor.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Stating once again that Sorceress mode is currently superior to the normal game, and it shouldn't cost credits or prevent credit drops.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jibo posted:

The characters seem reasonably balanced against each other really, considering how swingy the game is elsewhere.

Re: Ammo drops, I've had a lot of runs where ammo seems to drop every other room and I've had a lot of runs where I've got 5 empty guns going into The Hollow. I think it would go a long way if they could figure out a way to make runs more consistent with ammo drops. Also they need to make it so that you can permanently scare of Resourceful Rat because getting an ammo drop when your weapons are mostly full and then not seeing any more for the rest of the floor is frustratingly dumb.

E: Also throw in more munchers. Turning a couple of empties into one fully stocked gun can do a lot to recover a lovely run.

The rat is just a cover for anti-backtracking to give it flavor. They wouldn't add a way to get rid of it, and I wouldn't want to have one.

What they could do is have ammo packs stored on your character (like blanks), and reloading a weapon when it is empty would use the ammo pack to fill to full (maybe require actually pressing the reload button instead of firing on empty to do this).

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 15, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jibo posted:

I don't buy this. The game encourages backtracking. The way the game works, you spend a lot of time going back to locked chests and having to walk through empty rooms as you go to explore another branch of the floor you're on. At least once per floor you end up having to trek across half the level to check out some unexplored room because for some reason the game likes to generate floors where you will have like four rooms in a row without teleporters. Not to mention how much backtracking your'e going to end up doing if you are trying to find the secret room on a floor, or find the water barrel on the first floor, or refill your health after a boss fight.

RR seems like more of a mechanic to prevent weird combos and possibly force people to live "in the moment" in terms of ammunition, which would be fine if ammo and items in general were not so scarce.

By backtracking, I don't mean exploration (which is covered by teleporters). I mean the BoI style optimization backtracking. You avoid picking up armor until a boss fight, backtrack to shops to sell a useless active item out of a chest for more money and then pick up your good one, ensure you fully empty a weapon of ammo to get the most out of an ammo drop when you backtrack to pick one up, etc.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

LuciferMorningstar posted:

This reasoning is pretty bad. First of all, what's bad about backtracking to optimize a run? And then beyond that, why should the player be robbed of resources that he doesn't need at a particular moment (this is largely limited to ammo). You can pick up armor whenever, and health never despawns, so you're encouraged to backtrack for health, at the very least. And with items out of chests, if you get a crappy item, why shouldn't you be able to profit off of it? Or if you find another good item, but don't have room for it, why is it reasonable to just lose it?

If the game is a puzzle to optimize your chances of winning, or is balanced around smartly making the most of your resources, then optimization through backtracking can be fine to implement (see: NetHack or Dungeon Crawl). Most of those roguelikes usually have a way to shortcut accessing your stash though (bag of holding, Ctrl+F to auto travel to item); this is something BoI lacks, which is why it becomes boring but optimal to backtrack.

Gungeon, if going by developer intentions, is mostly trying to avoid that kind of system (through R. Rat, unlimited gun space, etc.) in order to encourage you to just keep moving and exploring. It is intended to be a system where your skill at the game is more important than small optimizations to get an edge, so that you keep heading to new challenges; health backtracking is an exception for what appears to be the purpose of accessibility (less skilled players get a bigger margin of error for success). This is why you see things like the patchnotes that make it impossible to detect hidden walls with the basic pistol period, instead of watching particle effects.

The thing is, the game has all these small quirks (scarce ammo, scarce keys, etc.) that a player may feel like they have to optimize to get enough of an edge to actually make progress, in which they are met with a rat laughing in their face. The problem isn't disallowing backtracking, it is designing their other systems in such a way that amplifies the player's gripes when they can't mitigate it through backtracking (and would be better solved by fixing those other systems).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Man, if only there were teleporters to make moving around faster, so that backtracking for something like ammo takes ~5 seconds. Oh wait...

Thanks for reading the whole post :v:

There are so many other solutions to relieving player frustration over lack of ammo/guns/keys than to enable stash backtracking (including the one I provided of just letting you collect full ammos that are used automatically when you do need them). Alternatively, I guess they could allow you to kill the rat at the cost of max curse if you want it that bad.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

The sling owns actually and leads to really easy perfects.

Yeah, it's a definite boss killer and insane.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Contest Winner posted:

Have any good strategies for using keys or otherwise fighting the game's desire to give you nothing emerged? I'm trying to get the primer downstairs and I keep skidding to a halt around the fourth floor because it's easy to go floors without seeing keys or ammo.

Can you finish that challenge using the random gun enchantment? I might just drop the credits and do it that way if so.

You can complete any challenge or unlock with the random gun enchantment, and it definitely makes the key/shell gathering quests for the elevator or the primer a lot easier to accomplish (as well as making the trip itself more fun). The only thing that becomes harder to unlock with the random gun enchantment is, funnily enough, the hegemoney requirements for the elevator shortcuts.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Had a run where I found Gunther for the first time outside of Gun Game, and then found electrified bullets.

And then the game crashed before I could go to Bullet Hell :negative:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

The Muscle relaxant has a hidden damage bonus to any "precision" weapons, like the crossbow, the Sniper Rifle, the A.W.P, etc etc...

So that's why my Hegemony Rifle started clearing house all of a sudden.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Yes, I think that for some reason it affects that gun as well, which turns it into an absolute monster. That combo carried me to my first victory against the Lich.

It's probably because the tooltip when you pick it up says "So Accurate", so for pun reasons.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cumshitter posted:

I tried to do a 180 casings/4 keys run to fix the third floor elevator. On the first run I managed to pick up four keys from drops, but only 175 casings total for the three floors. Then on the next I only had one key drop and not a single store had a key for sale during the first or second run. I ended up destroying about 25 chests and only one dropped a single half-heart, one exploded, and the rest were trash. Didn't see a single trash eater in the merchants.

I finally got it but holy poo poo the RNG really fucks you on keys sometimes.

It's not going to help for the floor 3 elevator, but there is an easy method for doing this for the floor 4 and 5 elevators. Buy and pick up every key you possibly can until you hit the requirement for the minimum amount of keys, and only spend keys if you have over the minimum required. Once you reach floor four, find one of these enemies and kill every other enemy in the room:

Make sure to leave it alive so it can keep summoning the giant jammed zombies. The jammed zombies drop shells every time they die (most likely as a side effect of being summoned as jammed), so it is an infinite money engine for as long as you need to grind it to meet the elevator requirements. This is pretty useless to do in a real playthrough unless you are desperate and bored, but should make the shortcuts much easier.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I still think the best solution to ammo would be to just make ammo boxes give full ammo to every weapon. They don't even have to change the drop rates or the prices on buying it from a shop or anything, the current rarity/cost is good enough for that effect!

As a side note, it's a real shame that you can't do Bullet Hell on Gun Game mode. I've done the song and dance of playing through the normal game again the way the devs intended to give it a fair shot, and it is incredibly boring to reserve all my weapons for floors 4+ and still be struggling with ammo by the time I find the Lich's room, even with the key balance being better (it is still a dumb system, but not as overly bad as before). I think, now that I've got the elevator unlocks and Robot/Bullet done fairly, I'm just going to turn on unlimited ammo in Cheat Engine and be done with it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Nothing better than opening a red chest and getting the box or ration.

I love the box: it recharges fast enough that you can use it almost every room to scout ahead and start the fight from a good position, on top of the five finger discount advantage.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Interesting interaction: if you are holding the Siren and fall into a pit that contains water (or toxic sludge), you don't take damage!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Don't walk into the bullet hell portal . Go around it.

To be fair, you don't know to walk around the first time it happens because it grabs you through the normal floor instead of a foreboding portal, which is pretty funny.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Finally beat the Lich, thanks to finding both the Bandana and the Engine (plus ghost bullets before Bullet Hell), which meant I could use the Engine almost all the time and pretty much always get an ammo drop before it ran out.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

K8.0 posted:

The more I play this game the more I regret buying it. I didn't think it was possible to make an Isaac clone so thoroughly un-fun but they really accomplished it. Every few days I think "well maybe it's not that bad" and give it another go, but nah it's really terrible.

Definitely just grab Cheat Engine and pick to either have infinite keys or infinite ammo (whatever bugs you more, but having both make the game way too easy imo) and it becomes a lot more fun.

If you prefer playing fair, go find and unlock the Sorceress and either earn or cheat yourself some Hegemoney to pay for the Gun Game mode, which is also much more fun than the vanilla game.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

enojy posted:

Starting in at least level 2 would be great, as the first level is getting boring, and I've probably been relying on the starter pistol more than anything else so far anyway.

Bad news, but taking the shortcut to Level 2 doesn't give you anything to compensate for the missed resources on level 1, which means you miss out on about 50-75 shells of currency with no extra guns or keys (or a mastery) to show for it. The shortcuts for level 3 and on at least give you some free guns to compensate.

I think taking the elevator also stops Hegemoney from dropping. It's mostly only good as a challenge, for boss practice, or for completing hunts. Even the Boss Rush you unlock for completing all the elevator shortcuts costs Hegemoney to play :wtc:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Pretty sure that's absolutely not true, since I have definitely gotten ammo packs on the first floor before picking up any weapons before.
Edit: Unless it changed in a recent patch or something.

According to the post, you can find ammo drops with the starter gun, but only as part of the random loot drops (which is the thing that spawns you extra drops like hearts, keys, chests, etc.). The drops that this is referring to is the flat% ammo drop, which is being set to zero if you have an infinite ammo gun out when you finish the room (because it sees that you don't need ammo, and doesn't bother to drop any).

This explains so much, and I'll give the game a fair shot again without cheats to see how much better the ammo system is after the patch (I think the key system is pretty good where it is right now, if still stingy in the sense of not letting you open absolutely everything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Okonner posted:

I thought the "lite" referred to stuff like Rogue Legacy where the permadeath is ameliorated by some kind of persistent progression.

Lite is in reference to basically anything that doesn't closely follow the Berlin Interpretation: a turn-based, grid-based hack'n'slash with procedural terrain generation, permadeath, complex interactions, non-modal gameplay (no change in how the game works at any time, such as a shift between overworld travel and normal gameplay or a shop interface), identification/discovery, and resource management.

Honestly, though, just call it a roguelike if you want to, who cares. Gungeon hits quite a lot of those points even if you are being pedantic.