Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Just played a couple games before work. It's pretty challenging so far, hopefully I'll get better as I learn the mechanics but I kept getting rocked in the 2nd area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I've made it to the tank boss several times in floor 3 but I get destroyed every time.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Ghost Head posted:

I really think the bosses in this game are cool and well done. I honestly think it's the only aspect of the game that eclipses Nuclear Throne. Unfortunately having played it a bit more, I'm beginning to think it's quite mediocre overall. The gun-play doesn't have a lot of impact. The sound effects are incredibly weak, the enemies are a little too spongy and it never really feels rewarding to me. It's incredibly stingy about giving you items and the core game isn't satisfying enough to where that doesn't matter. The dodge-roll feels cumbersome and I'd much rather it eschewed the bullet hell somewhat, sped the game up and made it about dodging with your own movement. I give it props for some excellent music, great bosses and trying to make the starting characters distinct from each other but so far this is a letdown.

I pretty much agree. I wish the guns had a little more oomph to them. It isn't because I want the game to be easier because I sucked at NT but I felt like even the starting weapons felt powerful. Most of the guns I've gotten in this game so far feel like little pea shooters and you plunk away at the bosses health for 5 minutes before taking them down. This game seems to be more about outlasting your enemies than blowing them away with some cool weapon. I lost a game where I was fighting with the Balrog boss for 2 to 3 minutes. I had 5 different guns, none of them really doing poo poo. Now I can barely muster the energy to trudge through the first couple floors again. I'd love if they boosted the enemy damage as well as my own just to speed the game up a little bit.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Underwhelmed posted:

The only character that needs a gun to have much of a chance is the Pilot, all the other characters have decent enough starting weapons to make it past the first boss.

I'm not going to lie, not getting a gun chest on the first floor hurts, but I haven't found it to be something that ruins a run a majority of the time.

The problem is the game is slow enough as it is, the longer you go without a decent weapon the more boring it gets. Of course I felt the same about BoI too. The first few floors generally sucked because it took so long to kill things.

That is the one area I think Nuclear Throne got right. Enemies are deadly but so are you, so the speed of the game is much faster. I was hoping that this game would take the fast paced nature of Nuclear Throne and mix it with the sheer number of item combinations in Isaac but unfortunately it ended up being basically BoI with guns and a bullet hell element. I hope they intend on adding modding capabilities but I don't know that they will. I'd love a mod that just doubles the damage of enemies and players.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Orv posted:

Is there actually any point to curse?

Pretty sure it means you get more of the red stronger enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I don't even get why ammo drop chance would be linked at all to what weapon you're holding, but OK.