Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

LostRook posted:

I also did like that the episode indirectly explained the claw marks in the trees.

What's the explanation? Too tired to go back and watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
All the perceived monsters have a physical effect beyond the person seeing it, even if no one else can see it or directly experience it. When Mitsumune sees Penguin ramming the bus Speedstar feels the effects. So the claw marks were just some previous person's monster.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

If that's the case, it makes even less sense than it did before. Years and years of parental abuse isn't something you get over in a couple days[...]

In fiction it is, though. I also thought the penguin shirking in size was related to Mitsumune rebelling against Speedstar (which was precisely acting as a surrogate mother).

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
the other nanaki village is clearly masaki's monster

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

alcharagia posted:

the other nanaki village is clearly masaki's monster

:lost:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Also I am glad that Jack, my favorite character, has returned.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Holy gently caress what the hell just happened, did not see the twist at the end coming christ.

So the doctor aged rapidly because he sort of gave up and then re-appeared in reality, having forgotten his trauma rather than dealing with the cause of it? I'm not quite sure I understood the explanation.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Neeksy posted:

Holy gently caress what the hell just happened, did not see the twist at the end coming christ.

So the doctor aged rapidly because he sort of gave up and then re-appeared in reality, having forgotten his trauma rather than dealing with the cause of it? I'm not quite sure I understood the explanation.

I watched this episode while incredibly high, and what I got from it is--and this is stretching a bit--that by forcefully resolving your trauma in a moment, something that would take a lifetime to get over normally, the Nanaki 'takes' that lifetime from you when you go back to the real world as if nothing happened.

e: or maybe you age rapidly from just the sheer fear of having to be attacked by your Nanaki to get away, like how being jumpscared is supposed to shave a day off your life. Remember what Misaki's cousin said about if the girls met their Nanaki in the woods they'd have to just take it? Maybe he's seen people get out that way, but doesn't know what happens to them.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 4, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I loving love this batshit crazy anime.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mister Olympus posted:

I watched this episode while incredibly high, and what I got from it is--and this is stretching a bit--that by forcefully resolving your trauma in a moment, something that would take a lifetime to get over normally, the Nanaki 'takes' that lifetime from you when you go back to the real world as if nothing happened.

e: or maybe you age rapidly from just the sheer fear of having to be attacked by your Nanaki to get away, like how being jumpscared is supposed to shave a day off your life. Remember what Misaki's cousin said about if the girls met their Nanaki in the woods they'd have to just take it? Maybe he's seen people get out that way, but doesn't know what happens to them.

I think what he's saying is that one's psychological scars are part of one's soul, and by cutting yourself off from the Nanaki you're effectively cutting a part of yourself out. This leads to aging because magic and gently caress none of this makes any sense at all.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this all seems a bit silly to me

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Okay, the reveal of the Boss was pretty great.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In this episode, incredibly dramatic nose picking.

I adore how well Mizushima manages to kill the tension every single time. It takes real craft to get a triple-A TV series this close in tone to a crappy student horror film, especially given that what would be lazy tricks in live-action are actually significantly trickier to animate.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i like the implication that yottsun's career shames his parents, and also how he brushes past his attempted sex assault.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
PUNCH ME HARDER ASSBOUND-KUN!!!!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Davincie posted:

this all seems a bit silly to me

Modern psychology isn't quite mainstream in japan yet.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Also:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i suppose i should admit: on the roof, i briefly thought yottsun would lift his necklace over his shirt, revealing a crucifix.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Darth Walrus posted:

In this episode, incredibly dramatic nose picking.

I adore how well Mizushima manages to kill the tension every single time. It takes real craft to get a triple-A TV series this close in tone to a crappy student horror film, especially given that what would be lazy tricks in live-action are actually significantly trickier to animate.

Out of curiosity, what tricks are you referring to?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

I think it could be a mix of both. It's kind of like experiencing an intense stressful moment and then paying it back if you are able to return. So if you could imagine how much a stressful job/lifestyle takes on a person, the nanaki experience would be like that.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i like the implication that yottsun's career shames his parents, and also how he brushes past his attempted sex assault.

"Why did you try to get her alone?" says the dumbass.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i suppose i should admit: on the roof, i briefly thought yottsun would lift his necklace over his shirt, revealing a crucifix.

Hello, can I tell you about how JesusKamiyama died for your sins?

Full of great scenes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Out of curiosity, what tricks are you referring to?

The camerawork, mainly. They're using complex, difficult-to-animate shots to simulate what you'd naturally get from a crappy, overambitious indie film, like zooming scenes out too much so that you can see the 'actors' who aren't relevant to this particular bit getting bored and goofing off (which means lots more moving parts to animate). The special effects, too, fail in some quite carefully-crafted ways. They don't just use cheap, bad CG monsters (although they're happy to - Valkana's in particular is phenomenally :effort:) - they use monsters that look like cheap, bad practical props, like Nyanta's toilet-roll-and-wire wasp, or Mitsumune's stuffed animal in a wig. The tunnel scene is a great example of this - it looks exactly like bad miniature-work, with the tiny prop projected onto the screen of the bus window as they shake the set around.

An in-character 'making of' documentary with Mikage as the prima donna director would be goddamn amazing.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
My guess right now is that the people who don't actually face their trauma and instead become complacent and sort of just disconnect themselves from their 'nanaki' are the ones who age. The professor re-appeared in reality while he was just photographing some pile on the road, seemingly without any duress or involvement from his encounter with the monster from his mind. Mitsumune, leaving with his monster because he was acknowledging his trauma, didn't end up aging or having any adverse effects. Plus, the conclusion the professor made was that his trauma was "the existence of nanaki" and not "I was betrayed by my colleagues", evading the harsher truth.

Basically the people who are just giving up now are going to probably re-appear in the real world and have their bodies break down.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

the dialogue sounded to me like the professor was disregarded by his colleagues before he made his presentation, so he was used to it, so knowing he was right would be enough to get over it. it seems like the only connection was that they were all worried about losing their jobs.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So do you think Wankoro just died off-screen of cancer?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im going to flip out if the two koharun's in the earlier episode weren't an animation error

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So this is an interesting comparison of episode 3 and the latest episode.

http://i.imgur.com/GBgM4aL.png

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

LostRook posted:

That's pretty awesome. So maybe Nanakimura is some sort of space outside of time?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Could the people who become complacent with their situation actually turn into Nanaki themselves, bring overtaken by their trauma?

The people with Masaki's cousin disappeared after all and I don't think they all got over their trauma. Might be a good setup for the cousin to turn.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This show is just the right combination of stupid bullshit and some clever ace in the holes, I love it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Lurking Haro posted:

Could the people who become complacent with their situation actually turn into Nanaki themselves, bring overtaken by their trauma?

The people with Masaki's cousin disappeared after all and I don't think they all got over their trauma. Might be a good setup for the cousin to turn.

...actually that'd be pretty clever, I don't remember any specific examples but from time to time it feels like, when people are running around looking for each other, that right when it seems like they'd bump into each other, they see their monster and start flipping the hell out.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

...actually that'd be pretty clever, I don't remember any specific examples but from time to time it feels like, when people are running around looking for each other, that right when it seems like they'd bump into each other, they see their monster and start flipping the hell out.

but presumably, if someone becomes a nanaki, it's permanent. if it were a temporary thing, there would likely be some talk about blacking out/missing time.

i suppose to me the idea feels a little messy. i have no "narrative evidence", but we've seen multiple villages. maybe people who submit gradually find themselves separated from others, in increasingly unpopulated villages

other explanation i pulled out of my rear end: people who submit fully become part of some locational life force, explaining why the crops are well-maintained even when no one has visited for ages.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
I feel that this show will have a bad end, with nothing really explained or the ending will just suck. They have 2 episodes to wrap it up, so they don't have time to do anything but dump an ending on us.

Anyways needs more Nyanta.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Major Ricardo posted:

nothing really explained

That's what I'm hoping for, personally

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder what Koharun's agenda is. The people who were attacked by Jack and Judgeness were the proactive ones who aren't completely batshit (Mikage and Lovepon being proactive but also crazy and on the completely wrong track), so maybe they're trying to keep people from figuring things out or something. It doesn't explain why Koharun didn't just kill Valkana one of the many times they were alone together, though, unless there's something else going on. Maybe she's got some connection to the place/is some weird entity and thus can't actually act on things like that or something and needs agents to do it for her. Though that would be seemingly disconnected from everything else that's been happening and what we know about the village, so maybe she just didn't feel a need to deal with him previously. Either way, from what I can tell her goal is to keep people there, for whatever reason. Maybe; all I can guess from her having her goons attack the guy who's doing poo poo and the girls who are actually figuring things out while leaving the rest alone.

There's still a lot we don't know about this, really. I wonder how much will remain a mystery when it's all over.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Major Ricardo posted:

I feel that this show will have a bad end, with nothing really explained or the ending will just suck. They have 2 episodes to wrap it up, so they don't have time to do anything but dump an ending on us.

I can't really think of anything that hasn't been explained at this point, tho.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Major Ricardo posted:

Anyways needs more Nyanta.

The best possible ending would be Mitsumune doing his big dramatic return scene only to find that half the cast has sloped off to grab some beer and the rest are playing strip poker, Mikage having a giant screaming rant at everyone else for not following the script after he made all this effort to find a proper abandoned village for them to shoot their movie, and storming off, before Dozaemon goes 'Wait, were we still supposed to be filming this?' and the screen goes black.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I figured God's thing with Nanaki is that he had faced his trauma and acknowledged it but since his nanaki was a manifestation of him believing that nanaki was a fake, he relinquished his "trauma" forcibly. Perhaps he came to wrong conclusion of his nanaki and as such that's what caused him to leave the village and age faster.

I personally think that Driver faced his mental hang up, but did the same thing as God and saw his daughter less as a manifestation of his trauma and just as a figment and thusly escaped from the village. Mitsumune on the other hand faced his mental hang up but knew exactly where his actual trauma came from, his mom's lack of acknowledgement of his identity, and has taken it upon himself, probably in the same way Masaki has for her trauma which explains why she hasn't aged quickly.

Me and my friend also theorized that perhaps Koharun is trying to keep everyone in the village. Which explains why she had attacked Valkana and Nanko's group, the two who are trying to find Masaki and get answers, attacked. Why she wants everyone to stay in the village and away from Masaki is unknown but it's just weird she attacked the groups trying to find answers, besides that she actually knows something and doesn't want the others figuring it out when they find Masaki.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Darth Walrus posted:

The best possible ending would be Mitsumune doing his big dramatic return scene only to find that half the cast has sloped off to grab some beer and the rest are playing strip poker, Mikage having a giant screaming rant at everyone else for not following the script after he made all this effort to find a proper abandoned village for them to shoot their movie, and storming off, before Dozaemon goes 'Wait, were we still supposed to be filming this?' and the screen goes black.

Yes please. Sadly I fear that ending would be too beautiful for this world.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

LostRook posted:

Huh. I thought from earlier on that there's some timeline-fuckery going on (in particular, I don't think all the bus passengers originate from the same time), and this supports it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

Huh. I thought from earlier on that there's some timeline-fuckery going on (in particular, I don't think all the bus passengers originate from the same time), and this supports it.

Doesn't work out when they boarded the bus outside of the village.
But maybe the last bus stop where they met Koharun was already on the fringes of the village? After all there was this creepy clock.

• Locked thread