Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

Vynar posted:

I wonder how many people thought R.E.M. were talking about religion in the song "Losing My Religion." When in reality they are from Georgia and that is a southern phrase roughly translating into flying off the handle. For example, if we were riding in the car together and someone cut us off, you might tell me not to lose my religion over it if I started cursing and yelling.

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

oh there's also losing my religion in major key it's good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KmiIq2-m8

sorry what was the threa about again

ty manifisto

alnilam

oh right probably write about some post-society wanderer who collects old music tapes and has a hand-wound cassette player that they play for eager audiences in desolate little dusty towns, like an old time bard travelling through town and playing and singing music for people who probably only get to hear music a few times a year, except it's 20th/21st century recordings of music with a whole band and it's loving mind blowing to these people

ty manifisto

alnilam

the wanderer has to like manually wind through the tape and clean crazy amounts of dust off of the magnetic tape, carefully so as not to break the fragile stuff, it takes a day or more for1 song

is it too unbelievable that the info on a magnetic tape wouldn't have been lost to entropy after so long? I'm not sure but perhaps neither is your audience

ty manifisto

alnilam

i'm talkin bout cassette tapes btw if that wasn't clear but yo ucould switch to records or reel-to-reel or 8-track if you prefer, depending on the era of the songs
I would recommend against CDs unless you want the wanderer to have a working laser somehow, and there's barely electricity so explain that one punk

ty manifisto

alnilam

No didn't he just have one tape in normal condition in an otherwise very advanced universe?

alnilam

*reads script to raiders of the lost ark* hmm seems like a ripoff of that charleton heston movie the ten commandments

alnilam

sorry if that was mean just joshin anyway i hope you like your new story mario I'll expect royalty checks in a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Tape would lose quality and would become a noisy mess betraying only the faintest whisper of a melody. Where do they go, these memories? Why do we hold on so tightly? Etc.

could be a cool angle, I'll share the royalties

• Locked thread