Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is the game better on Pc or console? As far as responsiveness and fluidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Follow up, should I not even bother on Pc unless I have a controller?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

w1ntermute posted:

I wouldn't bother. That's why I purchased a used 360 controller at gamestop years ago for $10. I would highly recommend it.

Yeah I have a 360. Looks like investing in an adapter may make sense. I've played all previous games on 360, but I can't monopolize the TV anymore. PC it is.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure this has been addressed, but the thread moves so fast...

I'm starting the game on PC and the voice and ambient sound is SUPER LOW. I can't really hear it and only know something is supposed to be said because of the subtitled and hearing the actual cinematic on youtube. What is the common fix for this sound issue?

Windows 10 64bit and standard Realtek Audio.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

Yeah. It's also making me appreciate how relentlessly bright and cheerful the first two games were. Remember the chill nexus fire at the top of a shady, mossy tower? Remember bleak but beautiful Majula at the intersection of limitless ocean and sky? Now we have a lovely... dank and mouldering tomb. It's deeply depressing.

I'm barely in the game, but in Dark Souls 1 you were dropped off by some dudes because you were becoming undead. They were separating you from civilization to the edge of this lost and forgotten land to rot in an asylum. Hell, the people probably only know about places like Anor Lando through legend and don't even believe they exist except for the most foolhardy of folks, or those doomed to undead. But you get the feeling that civilization is going on A-OK back wherever they brought you from. Just go away undead.

In 2 it seemed that the world was definitely shifting and you were picking over the ruins of a world that had seen its time come and go. Not much connection there.

But in 3......I mean...is there even a civilization left to be exiled from? It sure doesn't seem like it. I get the feeling that there isn't some "Until later, bro" or "Hey fix this and maybe solve some problems for the rest of humanity". Its...welp, everything is dead, just try to make it not suck I guess?

I'm not very far in, but I"m getting a much more hopeless feel from the game. And it owns :)

Also that first boss scared me :( It turns out single handing the assassin's blade is better than two handing it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is Big Hat Logan in this game?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a big hat and a logan but the logan is not wearing a big hat

Mind blown

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really like scouting ahead by putting down my white sign to find out what's going on ahead everytime I find a new bonfire. I learn how terrifying some of that crap is.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just attuned Soul Arrow and hit R2...what does that do? It just makes my staff glow a bit, what additional effect does that mean?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

You get a little extra damage on your spells while your staff is glowing--it's the weapon skill for most sorcery staves. R1 is how you actually cast.

Thanks friend :D

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

how do i get back ot the dancer if i homeward boned out?

Sounds like you're homeward BONED on that boss fight.

I honestly don't know, just saw the pun and went for it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am finding out that playing and using voice with friends is pretty awesome. Is there a Steam group for Dark Soul 3 folks to team up or is it just kind of a random thing if you already know each other here?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just got to the road of sacrifice and my computer just explodes. It's only when I first load the area from the undead settlement and I havent gone further. It this normal or is the whole z0ne that way?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What is the best route to go with upgrades for most folks? Is refined always going to be better than RAW or is there a specific path we should be following?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ah ok gotcha. My stats are only around the 18 mark for STR and DEX so i'm not really going over the minimums (What are the minimums??)

Harrow posted:

Basically:
  • Want to use a weapon without increasing Strength or Dexterity beyond what it takes to wield it? You want Raw. This increases the base damage but removes the scaling. In the early game, it's also a good call, because at low stats, scaling probably isn't going to beat Raw. The only way you should stick with Raw beyond mid-game is if you're playing a magic build and just want a physical weapon you can use a buff spell like Great Magic Weapon on.
  • Want to be a pure Strength build? Pick a nice, heavy weapon with good inherent Strength scaling and make that poo poo Heavy. By the time you have 20-25 Strength, this'll beat Raw, and by the time you have 40 Strength, it'll be way better than Raw.
  • Want to be a pure Dexterity build? Pick one of the few weapons with great inherent Dexterity scaling and make it Sharp. Same thing applies: once you have a good amount of Dexterity, this'll beat Raw for most light, fast weapons.
  • Figure what the hell, let's just increase both Strength and Dexterity, why not? Then make your weapon Refined. That's going to lower the base damage more than Heavy or Sharp will, but it evens out the Strength and Dexterity scaling and increases both. Lots of weapons are fantastic Refined, and it's easily the best choice if you decide you want high Strength and Dexterity together.
Everything else is more specialized. Luck builds want Hollow, for example. Sorcerers who aren't buffing want Crystal, miracle-users who aren't buffing want Lightning, pyromancers who aren't buffing want Chaos (or Dark, but Chaos does fire damage which is more useful than dark damage). Fire and Deep infusions don't scale but are useful in the early- to mid-game for the same reasons Raw can be.

Ah excellent post, thanks! I'm
still kinda low on soul levels, just cleared the Abyss Watchers at SL I think 30 or so. I have been raising STR and DEX the same but I think I'm beginning to favor STR over DEX simply because of the weapons I've found, and in previous games DEX builds tend to be.....underwhelming.

Right now I"M using the Irithyll Straight Sword +1 and I'm finding the damage to be under whelming when I see others with rapiers or what not cranking out WAY more damage (And staggering opponetns more). I'm trying to figure out which direction to go. Whether to upgrade with my twinkling on THIS sword, or break off and start upgrading my Longsword/Dark Sword.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Was it? I saw that the stamina consumption was increased a little but nobody was reporting the damage being lowered.

If it was nerfed that badly, though, then scratch my comment about the Dark Sword and apply it to the Estoc instead :v:

I started as an Assassin and have an Estoc. I found the damage to be REALLY REALLY BAD when fighting the firxt Iudex dude. Is it really that good a weapon?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

It is a very, very good weapon. Maybe the best PvP weapon in the game right now and versatile and strong enough to be good in PvE, too. Maybe it starts weak against Iudex, but I don't know, I haven't done an Assassin start yet. It's useful for its range and moveset more than its damage, but its damage is good enough to keep up for sure.

I'm not sure if it would be better Refined or Sharp, but you can preview its damage with infusions before you decide in the infusion menu.

Maybe i'll give it a shot. I was using it and then fell in love with the longsword move set, but...i the irithyll seems to be under whelming as far as damage and staggar.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well it says it does 35 frost damage, right? I"ve NEVER seen anything get frostbitten by it. I can't tell if its doing any extra damage or not.

I just upgraded the ESTOC and I'm about to gem it up, but I don't have a sharp gem..so..maybe I"ll just leave it be for now. My STR and DEX are 17 which is higher than the requirements, but I note DEX is the focus here, so...i'll just keep boostin em. I should probably get my endurance up a bit higher than 15 so i can swing more though, heh.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well hopefully I find enough titanite that upgrading both weapons is feasible and I can play with it. I notice that I'm definitely able to swing the sword more with the estoc than their irithyll so that's a plus.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Buschmaki posted:

Like, why would you summon a duel guy if you don't want to duel?

Lol i always heal in front of red signers/invaders. Get hosed if you want to stop my progress.

Used the Estoc in the Catacombs, can confirm, it does less damage per hit but owns as far as stunlocks.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vermain posted:

You want to use some kind of blunt weapon in the Catatombs like a Mace. Strike damage will cause skels to immediately shatter, and you can chain knockdown most of the tougher enemies like Carthus Swordsmen easily.

Was gonna ask about this. I noted it is doing less damage here than before, so yeah thats probably it. IF you CRUSH them, do they come back at all? They seem to come back one time and gotta be put down again.

IronicDongz posted:

They're not trying to stop your progress if they're a red signer though. You have to activate it to let them in.

True but you came to my house, I'm gonna drink.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can see how thats frustrating, but I"m just salty because of people invading me when i'm trying to advance. If you and I are evenly matched ok sure. If you come in with mega PVP build and 30 levels on me, i'm gonna drank.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Yeah, but we're talking about red signs on the ground. If you activate one, you're inviting someone to come over for a duel, and people generally expect a fair fight in that case. If someone actively invades you, then drink all you want, because they're indicating they're gonna play dirty, too. If you summon someone through a red sign on the ground, though, you're saying you want a fair duel.

Yeah but how many times have you hit a red sign to find out Darth Vader is coming through when you're still Episode 3 Luke. Draaaaank.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Heh thats actually pretty funny.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TaurusOxford posted:

Then git gud. Until then, stop summoning dark spirits, because all you're doing is annoying yourself and the person you invited into your house for an honourable duel.

I should come clean, I have never hit a red sign in this game. I only do it when I"m ready as you guys say. But I DO totally drink, I'll freely admit. I know people hate it and in DS2 I got all sorts of nasty messages, but..welp. I'm making up for my lack of understanding of PVP with tons of sweet sweet estus.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

People weren't joking about Great Chaos Fire Orb, once I got it my pyromancy run became a hell of a lot easier. If this is the nerfed version I can't imagine how destructive it must have been before this - I took out Pontiff and Aldrich first try on this playthrough and even taking into account knowing them better now I think that's largely in part to the spell being so useful. That secondary damage is a godsend.

Oooo a fire orb you say. Where does one find this great chaos orb?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

Give the Izalith tome from the Demon ruins to the pyro trainer.

Ugh so I have to go through that smoldering lake. Fuuuck that place. I went in, got hit by the stupid ballista, Left.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously all red invaders in ithyrill dungeon can get hosed.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wait so you kill a boss and it teleports you to another boss that is mega hard...you don't get the bonfire from the boss you killed and you don't have a bonfire near the boss you died to how dumb is that.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you knew the boss was coming sure. You don't you have all the souls and low items from a boss fight and now you're just sol in this other place. Didn't like it at all.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am not upset about the room, I knew exactly where it was. I am irritated that the bonfire for the boss and all the potential loot or other stuff I wanted to do is just gone. Then I'm in the cathedral away from where I have progressed with no bonfire. If I knew a boss fight was coming, sure, but it has no indication that a mega bitch is about to come out the window.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing that bugs me about armor is the amount I have to dump into vitality. I'm stuck wearing weak rear end armor because my vitality is around the same as my other stats. Frustrating. I don't want to wear everything, but I also am tired of ultra light paper armor. Even if Drang owns

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eldred posted:

So, Farron's Keep is kind of a shithole right? What were they thinking, designing a giant poison swamp that's even more featureless than Blighttown?

It wasn't always a swamp it got cursed after the dudes running it got killed/hollowed.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eldred posted:

I meant the game design, it's just a giant circle. Maybe it's my own fault for hunting down all the items but rolling through poison swamp water is just tedious.

Eh it makes sense. It was a forest and moat before you got to the keep proper, so it being a circle as a defensive measure makes sense to me.

I love the scenes though. When you first find the boreal city, that looks out of movie. And when the thing said at the top after thinking "man that whole bit with the Knights and rooftops seems really familiar" and it says Anor Londo , it really gets ya in the nostalgia feels. I kept going back and looking down at the first bridge and remembering that just about anywhere you can see, you can go.

For lore, is Gwyn the FIRST of all of it? I know time and space run all over, but is that part right? Did all of these places exist in different times and places or are they all the same place just millenia old?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

^burtle posted:

Spent 45,000 souls to level up and unlock the Wolf Knight's Greatsword and really all I learned is that I'm much better with a quick one hander.

I use the Farron Greatsword with the dagger combo and on paper it sounds awesome. The move set is cool as hell.

In practice it just means they look at you while you're flipping around and kill your rear end. It doesn't stagger enemies like AT ALL. Fuckin' sucks.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stormgale posted:

It can be a beast in PVP or against swarms of lighter people, use the dagger stab for alot of the LB/L1 attacks to hit confirm.

What is a hit confirm?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stormgale posted:

^^ looks like the grave warden pair to me.

The dagger hits for all of the spinny moves do a tiny amount of damage but because poise isn't really a thing they can interrupt attacks, so you can use it to ensure you get off the spinny flashy part of the attack..

AH I see. Yeah I've used it on like Lothric Knights and just wreck them with the dodge behind em, but then they just laugh at my attempts to out style them and just crush my face. I have better luck with boring estoc and boring shield than with the cool as hell ninja great sword and it makes me sad.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm helping at twin princes and am using Manikin Claws because reasons. Is it possible to make bosses bleed?

In the same vein good god the twin dancers blades SUCK. They are slow as hell and don't seem to do like any damage. I don't see how people dual wield anything in this game without a shield, I just get wrecked every time.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 3, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Yeah, a lot of bosses can bleed. Some of them get destroyed by it, too. The current speedrun strategy is a high-Luck build with Anri's Straight Sword and Carthus Rouge (adds bleed to your weapon).

Also, I eventually found that trying to block things was getting me pretty thoroughly wrecked in the mid- to late-game, so I dropped the shield and went with dual wielding Gotthard's Twinswords (or two-handing the Dragonslayer Swordspear). It made things a lot more fun and I did better, too. I just kept a Buckler around for parrying.

How though you just can't move fast enough to block stuff. I just get OWNED lol. I don't have enough time to attack and get out of the way without a shield. Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It is irritating how much content you can lock yourself out of on accident and just through playing. Oh look I Found Rosaria's Fingers! Oh now this entire bad rear end cool faction you would have NO idea exist or any idea that you've screwed yourself out of is cut off to you. Great!

There should be a way to undo some of that stuff :mad:

^^Drang set and Alva's Helm owns.