Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Looking forward to running around with a parrying and poking stuff again. Basically relied on a parrying dagger and ricard's rapier in DkS1 a whoooole bunch. Didn't use them as much in two though. While thrusting swords weren't bad at all, I found the timing on the parries to be a bit weirder to pull off.

I've also been quite happy to see how fast this one looks, since speeding around and poking stuff in Bloodborne made it a bit a weird to go back to DkS1 and 2. Pretty excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Hey, does anyone know if using Rosaria to respec your stats still pisses off Sirris? I remember that was how it was originally but I seem to recall them changing it somehow in one of the patches.

I believe you can respec without worries now, but I'm not positive yet. Haven't tested it and just started a NG+ cycle.

Also, I have people said as much elsewhere, so you should be all set now.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I am in love with the Drang Hammers for PvP. The L1 combo is amazing for two reasons:
- nobody expects that after a swing to one, then the other direction, is has a third part that smashes the hammers down for nice damage. They all come in running to "punish" my "careless" first two swings.
- if you do land the full combo, it's amazing damage and THE way to just murder those Estus chuggers.
Its L2 is also very nice because it comes out really quickly for a spin, has a delayed slam down if you want and therefore also catches people trying to close the distance after your "careless" spin attack, it also costs little FP and you can just do a few back-to-back.
Rolling L1s are of course greatly damaging because like with the Twinswords, you slam down both weapons. And the normal R1s are a quick and easy combo with decent damage. Only the R2s I haven't found much use for, and of course the range isn't great. But it's just amazing to punish R1 spammers, it's the first weapon I found which consistently kills katana users who are otherwise auto-lose for me.

If you're good with parries, any time a katana users or straight sword user is spamming, it's super easy to parry the third hit (if you can tank the damage). That said, I find it's easier and safer to either wait for quick draws or just bait people into attacking and countering with a charge shot. Ricard's Rapier might not be as good or have as much reach as the estoc, but it's charged thrust still does a number on people. Still haven't found a pvp use for the press and lunge, but then it seems like some weapon skills aren't so hot for pvp.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

You know hose basement knights that crawl on all fours?

gently caress em

Fock every single one

The one in Lothric Castle is easy to kill since he can get caught on geography so easily. But I agree, they are probably the hardest enemies in the game. Super tough to parry too, since some of their attacks are so quick and have such large arcs.

Thinking about respeccing and playing around with the broadsword now. Looks like it might be fun to use, even if it lacks a thrust.

Also, even though I'm on NG+ and can get invaded by auto-summon covenants, I can never seem to get them to work myself (PS4). Kind of a bummer. Guess I'm stuck grinding drops.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I dunno. I've found aspects of DS3 to be worse than Scholar of the First Sin. I like the speed of DS3 more and a lot of the elements in it (like the level design or things as minor as ricard's rapier being returned to its DS1 design) but I have a lot of issues with it. Poise seems to be broken, I've had worse issues with phantom weapon swings than previous entries, the auto-summon covenants seem difficult to actually make work, and some of the weapon arts are very hit or miss (with the former being easy to spam). Perhaps, though, some of my less technical issues with the game come from the fact that I'm playing this after Bloodborne which I think is a tighter, more dynamic experience, despite being easier once you get the game down.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
You can play around with sorceries more if you're not doing a pure sorcery build, but pure builds definitely want to stack damage (although people often do that anyways with magic in games). That said, it seems like pyromancy and faith in DS3 have a lot more room to play with. I'm not too broken up about it, since magic often gets tons of options in RPGs that martial builds don't, but it is a bummer. Especially given how much fun some of the utility spells can be.

Looking at the current AR calculator, it seems like even for my current dex/int build, I'd be better off with a refined ricard's rapier than a sharp one since it'd give me slightly more damage. Honestly, I might jump over to a quality build. I can still mainly play it to lean heav ily on the evasion and could still probably use a few pyromancies or items for bonus damage. Are there really any weapons that are better as heavy or sharp though?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Finally invaded someone as a alrich somehow! Even at SL120. Unfortunately, I think they quit the game, since I lost the connection. Wish there was some equivalent of the indictment from DS1!

Unrelated note: I Mis-typed last time. I always seem to do more damage with a refined, rather than sharp, lothric knight sword, not Ricard's Rapier. Refined just seems to be a better choice for certain weapons, even if they skew one stat over the other. And while a 40/40 RR may not do as much damage may not do as much as my dex/int build and CMW, I think consumables may help out elsewhere. I figure that I use magic so rarely in this, it may be nice to try this out instead. And there are always consumables/carthus flame arc for a bit of extra damage.

And I always assumed that gutter were hollows trying to "build up" because they were just tossed down into some dark pit. Maybe as a means to escape, or comfort themselves. Then again, I also seem to like some of the design cues from DS2 more than others. DS3 has better level design overall, certainly, but there were aspects of 2 and its DLC that I preferred. Bloodborne still takes the the top for me out of all the Souls games even though it technically is not one. (And I actually wasn't a huge fan of the valley of defilement! Tower of Latria and Boletaria were my favorite levels from that one).

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Filthy Hans posted:

I also think The Gutter's good and Blighttown is even better. The latter is a challenge even with the Rusted Ring but not too brutal once you git gud. Upper Blighttown has those gruesome mutant dogmen which are pretty fun to kill and the water wheel downtown was pretty unique to the series.

Does anyone know if the Grass Crest Shield's stamina regen is affected by a Simple infusion?

Grass crest in DS3 uses Twinkling Titanite, so no infusions sadly.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

flowinprose posted:

It's also a medium shield and you can't infuse any shields other than small ones, I thought?

I believe you can infuse any shield* that doesn't take twinkling or dragon scale.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 19, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Toady posted:

Cool "umad" post, but it doesn't address the argument that DS3 has few surprises, as if the developers followed a checklist. Boletaria Level, Poison Level, Skeleton Level, Prison Level. Memorable sequels build on the past, and the game makes you think there's going to be a greater subplot when you encounter the abyssal goo phase of Old King Doran, but it never follows through. I wish it was a bolder conclusion to the series.

I sort of agree with this, especially with how well delivered an experience Bloodborne was. I don't think DS3 is quite as bad with certain things, like fan service, as some, but it does almost seem like there was a checklist at points. Perhaps, though, the DLC will be as good as the Scholar of the First Sin DLC was.

Also, broadsword charge attack, similarly to the rapier power attack, is surprisingly easy to bait people with. Straight sword thrusts seem to be a bit easier for people to parry, but that's probably because so many use them.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Section Z posted:

You know what, Nameless king is entirely optional and I can be happy leaving it be :sigh:

I am highly confident I could get myself through it if I could fight the King himself fresh, but I just have a really bad handle on dealing with two highly distinct phases. And I have poor enough dodging instincts as it is with the camera not making me need to use psychic powers to evade the king's weapon even without lock ons. And my attacks both vertical and horizontal wiffing the dragon's head and neck by a micrometer.

gently caress you, you were stationary breathing fire. Why the gently caress is even a leaping attack launched after I was running in place against your neck "Missing" you when it sweeps through your horns you fucker. Hitboxes are ever my archnemesis, I had to learn Dragon Dad's hitboxes more than his attacks to beat him in the consumed garden. After that it was a simple matter of jousting him to death.

So I'm always down to half estus or so when I beat the dragon, and so I fall short against the King. Because in the first phase no matter how I twist and turn the camera he will always spiral around and launch his spears or swings when he no longer on screen, between me literally rubbing up against the dragon and still, somehow, having my sword swings harmlessly wiff them.

It's so strange because I'm more just disappointed, than anything. When I was fighting the champ, even when I was on the ropes and he was kicking me in the face, I had a handle of what I was doing wrong, what I could do better, could tell what he was going to use. So that made the rematch turn out in my favor, if still low on estus.

Here? I feel in more danger of the hitboxes and camera, and I just suuuuuuck at dealing with those in the first phase. So even though I'm able to chug my estus literally in the King's face without getting hit in the second phase when I really need to, my mere mildly above average self can't hack the back to back.

I'll just take solace in handling the Dancer and Champ reasonably on round two with a Flamberge. Or maybe I'll come back later and Co-Op him to death.

For the first phase, always be closing distance with the dragon. I found that staying at range made him use his fire attack a whole bunch and I found that too hard to avoid. For other attacks, I found that dodging towards him tended to work better, especially on the King's melee attacks. After that, the second phase is just a matter of well timed and very careful dodging. I used ricard's rapier and I can remember the shield. I found blocking his attacks basically set me up for getting crushed by a combo. He's very quick, so if you're having trouble I'd also recommend just spending some time watching his attack pattern.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Honestly, parry spammers sometimes seem to jump the gun more than not, so playing around with variably charged power attacks and leaping attacks can really help. Also, the backstep attack can throw them off too.

I wonder if fists are as fun as they were in DS2, since I managed to take out tons of people using only fists, a crown, and the ring from the covenant of champions.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Yea invading in this game is really dumb and not fun. :(

Invading is usually alright in my experience, but this one does have some issues with pvp that the previous 2 lacked. Seems to have the worst issues with spammers (with any weapon frankly). And, while there are certain levels where numbers may not be a problem (like the prison. I've invaded multiple groups there and have managed to use enemies+terrain to kill 2-3 phantoms alone), it does seem a bit harder to be a lone invader. I've noticed that invading phantoms in this usually tend to engage in coop a lot more frequently than 1 or 2.

As for people who run an heal, just bring a bunch of hunter charms. It can definitely help. I just wish they flew faster.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Stokes posted:

Counter-point: E-honor (which has nothing to do with random invasions in the first place) aside, if you invade me and expect me to follow you into uncleared content so that I can spring your cute little trap, you'll be waiting there a long time until you find me by a bonfire in the Patches Squat pose. I might even *applause*.

Yeah, that's why I think you have to be aggressive as possible if dealing with multiple phantoms, cause I only seem to do well in those cases. Playing it safe just results in getting caught by a pack of phantoms or waiting for a very long time until the host quits or gets a group. The bridge in the catacombs use to be a good trap, but people got wise to it unfortunately.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
While DS3 is harder on the invaders, I don't think it's really as bad as some make it out. At least on the PS4, invaders almost always seem to work together now, so if you're patient and good at playing keep away/holding the host's group off, then some impromptu cooperation can level the playing field noticeably. You can also pick invasion spots carefully, to take advantage of terrain and tough enemies. This can be especially useful if they use a giant tree seed, since, if you're good at dodging, you can lure enemies into groups. I've had lots of luck doing this in places like the Irithyll Dungeon and Archdragon Peak.

It does feel like PVP in this game could've used a bit more though. Having a blue eye orb, or some other way to seek out invaders/sinners, would make the blue sentinels/darkmoon far more appealing. On a similar note, I also would've preferred it if sin had made a return, along with an indictment system, mainly for the aforementioned reason. Finally, I think a means for turning on friendly fire for the duration of an invasion would not just help prevent hosts and phantoms from bunching up and spamming attacks to crush invaders, it make fights far more frantic.

Stuff like easily cheesed weapons and abilities is just par for the course for all of the souls games unfortunately, so I'm not sure much could really be done to do anything there without changing core elements of the gameplay.

And, while it's definitely not the majority opinion, I think DS2 Scholar of the First Sin was probably a more enjoyable more enjoyable experience for me. This one generally plays better and is largely solid, but it feels limited in some more ways than the previous entry in the series. Still better than vanilla 2 though and the bosses are probably more interesting, even if their music usually isn't.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I've used axes/hammers and they are way harder to use than other weapons because of their short range. The phantom range on tons of popular weapons makes it really hard to win with the weapons that got the short end of the stick. Its less of a problem in a 1v1, but for invaders who are going to be in lopsided matches, trying to use a short range weapon is awful.

Short weapons are tough to use in all of the souls games, but I've found the broadsword fine to use on my quality build, especially with parries. Lots of damage, fairly quick, and you can actually bait parries with the short range. I just miss having a thrust with the broadsword - something that always was a bummer with the weapon. I will agree, though, that phantom range makes dealing with certain weapons a major hassle and can make getting into proper range tricky. I might look for another sword with longer reach, just to punish people that heal more easily. Use to use throwing knives for that in DS2, but they don't seem quite as useful in this.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
The throwing speed of kukri limits their use a little bit, since you have to be far closer to make sure you can connect. That said, they do whole lot more damage and the bleed. I find them to be fairly handy when the target is distracted.

Maybe I'll switch to a bow or crossbow to punish healers. Crossbows might even be better since I can fire those with one hand and I have an unupgraded Evelyn just sitting around.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
NG+ Nameless King was super easy thanks to my 40/40+Irithyll Rapier. Doesn't get above 395, but frost seems to be a solid choice on a lot of bosses. Thus far, this game's NG cycle has been pretty easy, though not as easy as Bloodborne. I'm also liking my quality build a lot more than my Dex/Int one, since it opens up more options for me and I can still use a few low level pyromancy buffs in a pinch. Still can't consistently parry players though, since I'll go through rounds parrying every attack and others I whiff every single one.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

I wouldn't have thought frost would even do anything to bosses

I dunno, it seemed to do more damage than cmw the first time. Maybe it's just high magic resists?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Section Z posted:

Frost is a status effect, rather than an actual damage type. It does a bit of damage and a short lived stamina nerf when it triggers.

For example, I didn't notice the Old Demon king staggering any more frequently with my Iryhtyl sword than my more normal weapons when I was trying it out (Seems I suck at nailing viscerals on bosses except for the Nameless King "Old demon is down! R1... uh.. R1! okay fine normal attacks.")

That said, any weapon working out well for you is a good weapon. Keep using it if you're already kicking rear end with it.

Could just be the thrust that did more damage then. And I usually cycle weapons in PvE, though I stick to ones I'm familiar with in PvP. Unless their great weapons.

I knew frost did stamina damage. Maybe I'll try playing with the Irithyll rapier as in PvP a bit more. Especially since I've been running across a lot of great shield users in recent invasions.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

I've actually found the zweihander and ultra greatswords in general to be fairly crap in DS3, and this is speaking as someone who went through most of DS1 with one. I dunno if it's enemies having faster recovery from hitting a shield or smaller windows of opportunity between enemy attacks or the fact that there's no poise but each of my attempts to use one has ended in YOU DIED. I've even given up on using it on parry-spammers since they just spam sword attacks instead and I get stunlocked. Bit of a shame, since there's some sweet-looking UGSs.

Just spam the special art then, since that's what people using them usually do to me if they see my buckler in hand. Also, some of them have crazy tracking that can punish people the try rolling past you. Not a fan of them in any of the souls games though, so I don't use them too often.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I never really got the dodge claims for DS1 either. My dex/int build from DS1 rolled everywhere and I rarely used shields outside of particular encounters/boss fights. Mainly stuck to parrying dagger/buckler and poked people into oblivion.

As for builds and splitting the damage, perhaps this was done in DS3 to try and make people commit to builds more? Prevent people from checking off too many boxes at once? I almost think that's why infusions reverted to DS1's take on the system. Maybe they found how enchanting an infused weapon worked in DS2 to be too powerful? In SotS, I found myself dealing more damage up close with dark sword + dark varangian sword than on a quality build with a straight sword. 30 STR, 20 or so DEX and then 30 and 30, if I recall correctly. (With this character, I also was able to use the vanquisher's seal ring and tear through phantoms, so balance in 2 was definitely wonky).

Overall, though, things like phantom weapon reach, the blue covenants being spotty at best, and the wonky poise make DS3 pretty rough around the edges. I think a lot of its issues are more noticeable in PvP though.

As an aside, it seems like pyromancy is the new dark magic. It would've been interesting to see it scale with some other stat rather than int, faith, or both. (Not sure what though. Luck?)

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm slvl 135 and I can't walk 5 steps without getting summoned as an Aldritch. And not even into honorabau duels, either. Legit defense invasions. It seems like at that level everyone knows to pop a seed, because it just ends up being the absolute best clusterfucks :v:

PC or PS4? Cause I'm 120 and have only been summoned for Alrich Faithful once. (I should specify, I'm on the PS4)

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 23, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
After using it more in a few fights, I've decided the undead hunter charm is pretty much useless. The lack of real aoe and the limited time doesn't help if they don't get boxed in or if they have help. Also, after using it a bit more, the charge attack for the broadsword is pretty awful. I don't remember the strong attacks being that bad in DS1 or 2. I've been able to catch players with it on occasion, but you basically run at the enemy before moving your sword towards the target thanks to the dumb wind up. Not too smart. Now I understand why most players that use it only really use the R1 and various combos with the r1, like the O+R1 combo or something. I like the damage on it, and the way it looks, but I may need to swap it out.

Although, catching people in parries with the broadsword+hornet's ring and carthus flame swathe has actually been one shotting a number of players I've run across.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
In some ways, it feels like DS3 took more steps back than DS2, but that's somewhat unfair to say since SotS really changed the DS2 experience. Bloodborne, while not perfect, certainly felt like the best of the games to me, especially the PvE stuff. Coop wasn't bad either, but I found the lag in that game could get pretty bad, effectively putting a damper on PvP.

The biggest observation I have about dual wielding in DS3 is that it is far easier to parry someone using those weapons than just about anything else, specifically when they do the blade spin/dance. Haven't fought anyone using the spears yet, but I don't think those have the same twirl. I tend to have the most parrying issues with great/ultra great weapons since they have a lot of moves that can't be parried. It's a bit late now to do this in the souls series, but I would've having a clearer divide between 1 handed and 2 handed weapons, as well as paired weapons. Could've maybe used the triangle to access different moves for each type of weapon. Might have made things too complex for their own good though.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Frog Act posted:

so I'll be aight to keep going with my Silver Knight Straight Sword +5? I'm also trying to farm up a silver knight spear

Any weapon is viable, even with some of the dumb stuff they did to them in DS3, though some weapon arts are pretty imbalanced. I find I rarely use them in PvE or PvP, beyond parrying.

Although, pole weapons have some weapon arts that are pretty darn fun to use.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Don't remember much about the vanilla launch of DS2, though I beat it once on the PS3 then later shifted to the PC for SotS. In both games ,though, I found Lucatiel was kind of on the weak side even. That said, some of the NPCs in that game were crazy. Bradley of the Old Guard, Masterless Glencour, and a number of others scattered about the game, could just step all over things. I remember a few times farming chunks in the tower by summoning Glencour as a shade to kill invaders more quickly. Hit people pretty hard most of the times and so few expected it. It was a bit cheap, but most bell covenanters were attacked in pairs anyways.

In DS3, though, I honestly find myself summoning less overall, unless it's for a gesture or quest. Especially on NG+. I'll summon myself out , especially in the prison, but coop feels a bit less engaging in this one. Might just be me though.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Digirat posted:

Welcome to the dark souls 3 netcode, first time I had this happen was this boss too but I think it can happen anywhere. I don't believe this could happen in any previous game.

I haven't seen anything even close to this bad on the ps4.

casual poster posted:

So I summoned some dude to help me fight a boss, Yhorm the giant??
Anyways they're two handing this big sword and they did this thing, I don't know if it was a miracle or sword magic, where they get into a pose and a white line goes from them to the other side of the room, after a bit of a build up all of a sudden a gigantic wall will burst up from the line and cause massive damage. What is this called so I can read more about it.

To elaborate on what Digirat said, search near the throne itself. Should be an item you can pick up an use against Yhorm.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
It feels like there is a lot less weapon diversity among players in this game. I was invading the prison and not once, twice, but three times I ran into groups running with only fume ugs and dragonslayer swords. Also ran into two farron greatswords. Kind of a bummer. At least I just didn't run into the same bunch of curved greatsword/halberd users just spinning around to win.

Just as an aside, I really think the prison is the best invasion spot. Easy to counter groups or people using the same dumb weapons all the time. And there are plenty of enemies to unleash on the host/allies of host. Nothing as an invader is quite as satisfying as killing a host in front of there helpers. This may not really balance out the fact that so many players always seem to run around with help, but it's worked out well for me.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

It's not a bad game, it's actually very good. Some people argue that it's the lowest point in one of the best game series ever made. And usually that's an opinion based on DS2, not SOTFS

On my list, SOTFS is definitely better than DeS, slightly better than DS3, and not as good as DS1. DS1 is the pinnacle of the series for me just because it's so well-designed, multiplayer issues notwithstanding

Definitely get SOTFS, it's not necessary for understanding or enjoying DS3 but it's still a really good game. If you enjoyed DS1 then you'll enjoy SOTFS

Agreed. I would also put SotFS ahead of DS3 at the moment. I'd probably put it SotFS, DS1 in the top two spot, no particular order. Then probably DS3, DeS, and DS2 Vanilla. Bloodborne is my fav of the bunch, but that doesn't quite count as a souls games.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
DS3 is a bit washed out for its own good, but most of the design ques are still pretty solid. Then again, I think most of their design decisions are on point, even in spite of some of the minor quibbles I have with it (like overly long handles on certain swords). It certainly is darker than 2 overall. Some of the areas look more like Demon Souls than previous entries in the series as well - at least in terms of color.

Also, isn't it spelled Aldrich?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Sven posted:

I always just stand over on the side that has the pointless ramp, then run/dodge towards the one casting purple crap at me.

Also, holy crap grinding those silver knights for concords... I will have this trophy, even if its the last thing I do :argh:

I gave up on the trophies specifically for this reason. Way to grindy and most of the covenants are just borked for me or I'm apparently too high a level for them to work.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Sven posted:

Well, all the other covenant items weren't too bad for me. Aldrichs actually worked for me, pale tongues I got from dueling at the pontiff bonfire, the wolf covenants drop rate isn't too bad, sunbroing is a non-issue, but god drat, farming those two silver knights at the top of the londo stairs was a lesson in patience I wont soon forget.

Pale tongues, sunlight medallions, and vertebra were all super easy to get. In all my hours of playing I've gotten summoned twice as an Aldrich faithful, once as a Farron Watchdog, and never as a Blue Sentinel/Darkmoon.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

The thing that really shows how badly DS2 gets beaten is that even the lovecraftian dreamworld in Bloodborne has better spatial relations. They even had the ships masts poking through the mist in vanilla and then you travel underneath that layer and gradually work your way up to the ship layer in the DLC - and it never breaks geography.

I really hope the DS3 DLC is that good at putting everything together and improving on the gameplay issues.

You could chalk up some of the weirdness/laziness in area design in 2 to the strange temporal state the entire region finds itself in. Time and space folding in on each other may make some things closer than they should be.

Also, I think Bloodborne is probably the best design out of any of the games. I wish dungeons were more varied, but beyond that, everything felt like it worked. I don't really think any of the Souls games compare.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

None of them match DS1's atmosphere for me. 3 feels like BB more than DS1 or 2 atmospherically even (which is fine, that's one of BB's qualities I actually like, it's just different).

DS1 is still probably my top souls game due in no small part to its atmosphere. It does a good job presenting its world with as little superfluous stuff as possible. Enough to point to a larger world outside of Lordran, while never losing focus, in terms of both design and writing. As much as I like DS2 SotFS and 3, neither are quite as balanced. I think BB may be the only one that gives DS1 a run for its money, at least for me. Much for the same reasons as well.

Two general parrying questions for folks: Is the caestus better at parrying than small shields/parrying dagger? Also, has anyone had more luck parrying with medium shields? I can do it reasonably well with items like the buckler, but people seem to play it safe a lot more frequently. Figure a med shield might be able to catch them off guard with greater regularity.

Also, I really miss the broadsword R2 from DS2. This new one is basically useless. Might switch the the long sword even though it does about 24 or so less damage.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Puntification posted:

Just summoned a dude called pontiff Klimt dressed in full deacon wear after helping me fight Sulyvahn he then dropped a divine blessing for me just before he disappeared, A+ would summon again.

I like to drop gifts for good hosts or if I invade a person that beat me handily/in a nice fashion prior to said invasion. It's fun to do.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Laputanmachine posted:

I just finished my new game+ and I'm starting up the third round. I love the game and from the covenents, the mound-makers stand out as a fun addition. For me, some organized pvp like fight clubs with some gently caress just standing around summoning dudes is boring. Best pvp happens spontaneously in the most hectic moment and having a sort of 3rd party who can attack anyone makes things even more interesting. I just hope From would alter them a bit so that they could be even more unpredictable.

1) All mad spirits should follow same rules regarding other spirits and enemies, regardless of the method of entering host's world (white/red/orb)

2) If no other phantoms or spirits are present in the host's world, the mad spirit should have some possible motivation to help the host, so that this sort of situation wouldn't always clearly be a 1v1 pvp. Maybe a chance for the mad spirit to help host with boss (change from mad to regular white phantom for the boss fight) for some extra rewards? The idea here is that even in a "host and a mad spirit" situation, the host couldn't be 100% sure what the spirit is thinking.

This could lead to some fun situations, like a mad spirit invading via a red eye orb, there would be some invaders and co-op phantoms around, the situation would be a total clusterfuck and finally only the host and the mad spirit are left standing, the boss door is nearby and the two end up beating the boss together.

The second occasionally happens. I've done it and, in one instant, had a mad spirit help me fight off two invaders while killing the giants at the Cathedral of the Deep. But you are right, there should be more incentive to do this. Maybe get a random item if you help the host get to the boss door or something? Fighting with a mad phantom at your side against a boss would probably just be lots of friendly fire.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

No, most weapons don't. Almost all L2s can be parried (even, for example, the Farron Greatsword's crazy spin...okay that's an L1, but also most spin-to-wins from halberds and such), you're only really safe with two-handed UGSs and Great Clubs etc.

EDIT: yeah, and jump attacks but those are hard to execute, land and leave you open.

Whoa! I did not know that the Farron spin/spin moves could be parried! That's great information and, if I'm honest, considering how easy it is for people to use gs/ugs and shields in these games, I don't mind being able those being parryable.

That said, perhaps it's due to my weapon choices, but I rarely one shot someone with a riposte while wearing the hornet ring. 40/40 STR/DEX, if anyone is wondering. If I can connect with the second attack they're always done though, even if they survive the riposte. I almost always get 1-shotted though, but I have relatively low VIT.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

MokBa posted:

Sellsword Twinblades are hilariously overpowered. I'm doing my first shieldless run (something I only did up to O&S in DS1 because I always lose motivation to finish the game after them) and they make it trivial. I just treat the game like Bloodborne and almost everything is trivial.

This game is also a lot less linear than I felt like it was on my first run. You can really take your time and make a lot of choices once you get to the Crucifixion Woods. I beat the Crystal Sage with +7 Twinblades (my first time soloing him AND beating on the first try) and just took out the Deacons at +8 (having soloed the Dancer for the first time and beating her before the first three Lords). Yes, the beginning and end of the games are both linear, but you can really take your time to upgrade your weapons.

Plus doing a pure Dex build means I was able to level up my HP and stamina a lot early on. Overall it's definitely been my favorite build. And I built it after my gf so she gets to choose all the fashion souls :3:.

Dex builds are easier in DS1 and 3 then 2 I think. I had trouble getting my rapier/dagger build up and running in 2 (primarily because I couldn't parry certain enemies reliably enough) but in 3 it's pretty easy. Never used any of the paired weapons in DS3 for very long though. Either way I basically ran rough shot over stuff with a Dex/Int char that rolled and parried almost exclusively in both games. Oddly enough though, I think I'm finding a 40/40 quality build to be one of my favorites. I have access to lots of stuff, can still roll around, and rely mainly on 1-handers to do decent damage. Also can mix in ranged options. Good fun. One thing I've always liked about the souls games, though, is that a lot of builds are viable.

Also, I think this game has a lot of really nicely designed areas. They may seem linear at first - a bit like BB in my opinion - but then you realize how densely packed some of these places are.

And the twinblades are powerful, but if you miss your spin/get parried during it as a dex fighter with low/moderate vigor during a duel your opponent will punish you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

dex was good in dark souls 2

katanas, spears, rapiers, bunch of good choices

If I recall, rapiers also did solid damage too. Espada Ropera packed quite a punch. Didn't really like that they gave so many the R2 parry even while in the right hand though.

Always wish they had a "power stance" type of mode for sword in board in 2. Could've done some interesting things with it.

Gazaar posted:

Power stancing a rapier and a katana gave you an insane array of attacks that made you really lovely to deal with in DKS2 PVP (kind of similar to gotthard's now that I think about it).

I've actually seen some people trying to replicate this in 3. Normal rapier in the left hand, katana in the right. Doesn't seem quite as useful.