Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It's probably the two week premiere lead that dropped the ratings. The show is well received last I checked. I doubt it'll get cancelled at all, this is SyFy we're talking about. This is one of their better shows. I mean I guess they raised the bar by having The Expanse and Childhood's End and all that but I doubt they're gonna ride all their luck on The Expanse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Tokubetsu posted:

Show's really good about nailing those human connection type moments. The scene where Cole basically tells Jennifer to go live for herself was also really touching.
This is pretty much exactly why I love this show. It also pretty much nails the entire sci-fi gobbledygook time travel rules (whatever they are, they seem internally consistent to me). I'm sure the show would've been fine just being time travel stunts for most of its existence but I'm glad it's also just a flat out strong character show. I mean sometimes the show doesn't even really rely on the time travel aspect and it still shines.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

We think of time as linear because we are ants in a line. But that constrains us. I am not truly free because my past limits me. Eliminating the perceived linearity of time will make us free. No death no loss no pain.

The plague was probably a shotgun approach. If humans force time into a linear state killing enough humans might be enough to destabilize it. It does too. But weakened time is still too strong, still linear. But it's fragile enough that it can't bounce back from a few paradoxes.
Okay when you put it like that it makes more sense. I would then assume the 12 Monkey's goal is like some way to achieve immortality? If time is broken down then you become immortal or something because time no longer is experienced linearly or something?

But still I'm just a bit apprehensive because of the weird time and humanity being connected thing. Not that the show can't veer into fantasy or whatever but it's a big pill to swallow, so I hope they have some more to work with coming down the pipe.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'm still not entirely sure about exactly the endpoint the show is heading with the primaries being time pillars thing, but yeah that was a fun as hell of an episode. Glad to see the show can pair their characters off in different ways and it's still amazing. Man, Cassie and Jennifer going on adventures was pretty amazing.

I guess as shown previously too that the plague is still forthcoming, but in 2018. So I guess the Tall Man is also now in charge of somehow dealing with the primaries somehow? I'm not sure how since they technically don't have a working time machine.

Jennifer seeing the date of her death was funny since her expression was pretty much "best before September 2044".

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yeah I called this as a "Monster of the week" deal when I saw the preview, and I think it actually OVER-delivered on that.
I would have been happy for a break from the main plot for some action stuff.

But Cassie was tethered to the Witness and took Sam hostage and sabotaged the time machine. The time machine is considerably hosed (and Ecklund died heroically), Sam showed off his skills in diorama class (which Jones looked at with considerable suspicion at the very end of the episode), the time-travel soldiers were previewed in the Year: 1959 intro, and Cole made Ramse shoot him..

And there's still that hanging line of dialogue from Katarina. Basically, "No Cassie, it wasn't your fault. It was mine; and for that, there is a solution." Sounds ominous.

I mean, yeah some of us were worried about the new plot but my worries went away the very next episode. This show owns and I've seen no decline in quality.
You can look at the episode like a bottle episode but what it did was basically turn it into a huge character and plot movement episode. The out-of-time people splintering in were just really minor complications on top of the big one where the core is going critical and will destroy the base and Cassie coming back with the Witness in her head causing everything to go to poo poo.

Also even if Sam ends up becoming the Witness, whatever. I think time travel stories have been told to death where you'll see this coming a mile away but the show always seems to do right by the characters so I expect it to be all worth it even if it unfolds exactly as expected, because there's so much to work with Sam and Ramse and the kid's connection to the rest of the people in the base in 2044 alone that if this happens and the confrontation finally happens it'll pay off spectacularly.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Goddamn that was a fantastic episode. And I thought last week was already fuckin brilliant, this one though. Man.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Has 12 Monkeys really been getting that much prestige praise from most critics? I know genre critics praise it but I haven't seen much from mainstream critics. I would imagine if there were more then maybe the show could justify being a loss leader for the network. But I would imagine something like The Expanse probably does a better job of bringing in both critics and viewers. Unfortunately.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Gale is probably not some River Song type character. I could see the show giving him a smallish months-long adventure with the two of them being what he meant.

But then again if S3 is probably the last season hell they could probably squeeze him into a supporting role next season and do a near-full season with him if they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It's probably gonna be the last season but it's gonna be oh so good, I can feel it.

• Locked thread