Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
A few too many "has someone at gunpoint and listens to them talk instead of shooting" moments, but Cole immediately offing the guy who betrayed Ramse made up for it. Good setup for the rest of the season, with the half-dozen people traveling through to who knows where. That disintegration death in the machine was brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Astroman posted:

Cole and Ramse 4-Ever. :allears:

So if Jennifer is going to release the virus in NYC, why did she travel all over the world on her jet last year with suitcases of Stuff?

She could've been setting things up in various places, or maybe she's just crazy as gently caress.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

savinhill posted:

Yeah, it probably was. I loved the movie and have seen it multiple times over the years, and it made it hard for me to get into the first few episodes of the first season, as I couldn't help but unfairly compare it to the movie. I probably hadn't seen the movie for at least 5 years before the show too, I can only imagine watching it right before making it harder not to just let the show do it's own thing and win you over.
I'd really like Cole to briefly travel through the machine and wake up in a sepia-toned prison with a globe of TVs looking at him, then he's pulled back and continues on his way. It'd be fun to think the show was semi-canon but an alternate timeline.

MariusLecter posted:

So the other 6 that got sent back are carriers and sent to who knows where, can't wait to find out!
By the way one was dressed it looked like they were going prehistoric, which could be really interesting.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That red forest ending was such a mindfuck. I have no idea what it means but it's working for me, somehow.

I like Ramse but I don't care about his son. As much as I like the Ramse/Cole bromance, I really thought Ramse had gone full heel last season and would be this season's big bad. Though I do like Cassie now being a cold badass.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
:bubblewoop: Tom Noonan's back! :bubblewoop:

I liked his creepy rear end character in season 1, and now the revelation that he's the future blue lady's son is quite interesting.

I'm of the mind that The Witness is probably Cole after everything is all complete. The reverence they have for him seems to point to that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The reason I think it's Future Cole is because his traveling is what keeps the 12 Monkeys in business for their agenda. Everything he does is a catalyst for a paradox. Eventually Cole will realize he was the cause of all of this and that it's an inevitable fate, and he was witness to it all. I wouldn't doubt we'll find out that something Cole did in the past influenced Jones building the machine. If the 12 are from the distant future then they anticipated all of this and know every move and time jump - like Jennifer told Jones, they can only see one slice of time from their own perspective. The 12 have stepped out of line and can see all of it, and so far everything has happened according to plan.

drat, I really hope this show gets to pay off its narrative, or at least find out early when it gets canned so it can wrap up things quickly.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"Look, it's Time Jesus!" and the Mary Tyler Moore montage were great.

All around great episode otherwise too, one of the best they've done. I need to study that diagram Jennifer found. Anyone get screenshots?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I still really want a very brief scene where Cole goes from the past to the future but something goes awry, and he wakes up in a sepia-toned floating bed in a prison where people are looking at him through a globe full of TVs before he suddenly zaps into the proper timeline.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I can totally believe that after what Cole and Ramse did and what Deacon went through, he would still have drinks with them after. Deacon embraces who he is and understands how poo poo works.
I think it's mainly that Deacon understands that loving with them isn't worth the effort, and it's easier to just try to get along.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

JossiRossi posted:

I love this show but do not know a single way to convince people to watch it aside from literal kidnapping. :(
I'm having the same issue. Last year people's stance was usually "I'll wait to see if it gets a second season", and then when it did, it was "I'll wait to see if it doesn't get canceled." On one hand I understand being burned too many times. On the other, I hate the mentality that a show is only worth anything if it has a series finale and the finale is satisfying and answers literally everything.

So does that last shot mean Cassie's the Witness? Or is it some kind of time-possessing entity?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 27, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dammit I was hoping Michael Hogan was long term on this show. Though I suppose another timeline change could always bring him back.

It's nice when they occasionally have an all-future episode.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

bring back old gbs posted:

He comes back not remembering he died and now she's super happy he is back treating him like a spouse again :3 Kinda sappy for this show though.

I'd be all for that actually. The role reversal for Jones would be nice.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Astroman posted:

Yep, it was already stated that one of the doctors in the facility was dead in the original timeline.

Still, they're trying to avoid changing the past any further. On the other hand I can see Jones refusing to lose someone again, and loving with the time stream for her own gain.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The creators have said they need 4 seasons to complete the story. I fear it won't get that long, but if they wrap it up and don't end it abruptly I'll be satisfied.

I definitely wasn't expecting Hannah to have been still alive and raised by Jennifer. That's a really interesting wrinkle and made for a great scene. It's really a shame more people aren't talking about this show, especially for its characters.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Evernoob posted:

I'm also caught up... simply wow.

Jennifer is playing an awesome "lunatic".... kinda funny that Brad Pitt's performance in the movie was also the most memorable of the film, also being the crazy one.

She's clearly channeling Brad Pitt in the earlier episodes, but she's really come into her own with the character. It was really interesting to see medicated, lucid Jennifer a few episodes ago.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The last two weeks have had a pretty significant upswing in ratings, I'm guessing because a lot of semesters are over for its prime demographic and because it's been added to Hulu. I just hope that's not too late and the trend upward continues.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

bull3964 posted:

Last season also aired 4 months earlier. I would wait until July to start getting worried.

Also cable can air things anytime - Syfy themselves had huge gaps between BSG seasons (and sometimes during them).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ShakeZula posted:

I'd say The Expanse is their shot at a prestige drama.

You'd think they'd put their top properties together to boost each other. Had they waited a bit to air it (instead of starting it around Christmas for some reason), a 12 Monkeys/Expanse night would've gotten more eyes on both.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nikita also had someone in the CW who really liked it and gave it a lot of opportunities. Same writers / producers, right? Maybe they're just really great, friendly people.

Same with Fringe on Fox, the network loved it, and it wasn't just nepotism.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Cassie's change was meant to be disorienting because she had spent a good deal of time in the new future (including gettin' it on with Deacon). We technically did miss an episode or two of her character development, because she'd been there for a couple years by the time she jumped back. Meanwhile we're following Cole in the present, so he's as caught off guard by her new future badass attitude as we are.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Holy shiiiiiit that cliffhanger. If they really killed off most of the secondary cast, that's pretty drat ballsy. Season 3 would just be down to Cole, Cassie, and Jennifer, just like it started.

Fun fact: That cool horizontal-hilted blade weapon The Witness and all his guards had is a katar, originating from India. Alternately designed versions of it mounted one-shot pistols on either side of the hilt. They're one of history's most badass weapons, imo.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 12, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I thought the shift to the new 2044 was a bit disorienting after the red tea trip, but maybe that was the point. For a few minutes I thought Cole was still tripping and didn't believe it was real.

So I'm assuming Cassie remembers the past because being pregnant with The Witness gave her that memory? I can't see how she'd know it otherwise.

Rhyno posted:

Also holy poo poo Madeline Stowe is still gorgeous.

:aaa: She's 57? She's aged incredibly well.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Evernoob posted:

Oh my, completely missed that fact. That proves once again I recognize sounds and music so much better than people's faces and names.

The scene where Cole jumped through his past was simply awesome, but what exactly did he tell Jennifer not to do in the future?

And how old is the Pallid Man in 2063? That's some serious good genes! (His mother died quite young didn't she?)

He told her not to call him "otter eyes".

And the Pallid Man likely has the same anti-aging effects that Ramse had when he was in prison.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel the real-time tether concept is pretty clear, more or less. In order to be able to bring someone back, you have to get an exact fix on their location in both time and space. They're actively moving through both at all times, so to have a constant connection through spacetime means you have to follow where and when they are consistently until they're ready to come back.

When they lose the tether, things like placing ads in a newspaper help them reestablish time and location so they can get a better fix, but often that's proven to screw things up because it wasn't exact like it would be with a consistent tether.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My problem with Lavalantula is that it should be Lavarantula. What's a talantula?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

grilldos posted:

Hey everyone you know that everyone can be Time Saved right as evidenced by Many Many Episodes.

I want Michael Hogan back.

• Locked thread