Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SO DEMANDING posted:

the amount of hearsay and smoke-and-mirrors bullshit in data recovery/wiping/forensics kind of stuff is staggering

i am fairly convinced that drivesavers just sits around smoking weed and eating hot pockets. I have never seen them do any good and have seen them take so much crying grandma money.

When you have enough overhead to give the computer shop a TEN PERCENT CUT of your price, just for giving their customer a business card with your name on it, you're probably overcharging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
big discovery at work that saves us drill bits and cutting oil: 2.5" hard drives fit in our big pair of boltcutters

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

atomicthumbs posted:

big discovery at work that saves us drill bits and cutting oil: 2.5" hard drives fit in our big pair of boltcutters

just dip em in HCL

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

maniacdevnull posted:

smdh just ditch that poo poo already! a 500gb 5400rmp drive on a core i7 = gently caress u idiot!!!

What depressing sequence of life events led to you working here, OP?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
It's weird to imagine physically touching/handling/destroying computer hardware that isn't meant for a personal gaming rig or hobby. I suppose I don't really 'get' unskilled labor though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fart simpson posted:

local it dept told me we have a global company wide policy to outlaw ssds, but they're coming standard on all the laptops we've been buying in the past few years so we pay extra money to remove the ssds and replace them with spinny drives :waycool:

you son of a bitch

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

emoji posted:

It's weird to imagine physically touching/handling/destroying computer hardware that isn't meant for a personal gaming rig or hobby. I suppose I don't really 'get' unskilled labor though.

like does your brain break at the thought of a rack server or something? cold sweats at the sight of the receptionist's monitor at the doctor's office? i dont understand this

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

like does your brain break at the thought of a rack server or something? cold sweats at the sight of the receptionist's monitor at the doctor's office? i dont understand this

it's fail AIDS, and I'm afraid it's terminal

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

emoji posted:

it's just a modern manifestation of the long term effort of capital to erode the power of the working class

co-opt a large group of people with disproportionate compensation for no actual labor and they'll take care of destroying worker solidarity themselves while feeling incredibly smug about it

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

That kind of work is for people who get certifications and such and carry multitools. I would also never work anywhere in technology that didn't offer top of the line MacBook pros.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

emoji posted:

That kind of work is for people who get certifications and such and carry multitools. I would also never work anywhere in technology that didn't offer top of the line MacBook pros.

this, 10x

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

emoji posted:

MacBooks Pro :eng101:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

emoji posted:

same, I am also deeply afraid of the prospect of understanding how things work

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

FopeDush posted:

same, I am also deeply afraid of the prospect of understanding how things work

What does knowing how things work have to do snapping together IT components for a mere 5 figgys?

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

emoji posted:

What does knowing how things work have to do snapping together IT components for a mere 5 figgys?

lol. extremely true

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
actually knowing how things work would be actively detrimental in an it job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
IT is the worst job because computer are stupid

• Locked thread