Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So did Ishiro Honda, it all comes full circle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Do you think God lives in Heaven because He, too, lives in fear of what He's created here on Earth?

Has anyone gotten their start at asylum or is that where you wash up after loving up

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The weird thing about Roger Corman is that everyone who tried to follow in his footsteps just wasn't able to make trash nearly as entertaining or professional looking as his. The guy was a special talent in the world of no to low budget.

But his biggest talent was knowing where to spend his money. The Asylum probably spends more on its burnt-out meme celebrity cameos than it does on any other aspect of the production, and that's one of the reasons their movies are poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EVERY FAIRY TALE NEEDS ITS HERO.

I'd spend 90% of the budget shooting an incredible trailer, then 10% on the rest of the production. Fool 'em as much as you can, since it's not like anyone walks away from those movies satisfied anyway.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Corman came from an engineering background, and it shows. Dude knew how to optimize production, exactly how to stretch those dollars as far as they could without letting it show. As cheap as they looked, they were actually cheaper still. Dude understood that passionate newbies in the industry hungry to make their mark and actually invested in making movies are willing to work for peanuts.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

He also has one of the best eyes for talent in the industry. The man's movies look great because he was willing to take chances on people he liked and knew enough to let them run with it. I wonder just how many Oscars there are between the actors and directors he's mentored.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He also has one of the best eyes for talent in the industry. The man's movies look great because he was willing to take chances on people he liked and knew enough to let them run with it. I wonder just how many Oscars there are between the actors and directors he's mentored.

Roger Corman is arguably the most influential and important person in the history of American cinema

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Roger Corman is one and the same with God.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

But is roger corman a kaiju?!

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

Passion projects take time. Mockbusters do not have the luxury of time.

"Here's ten thousand dollars and the address of my nephew Mark's cardboard box factory. Have the movie on my desk by Wednesday."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

But is roger corman a kaiju?!

He could be, that seems pretty cheap to do.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

The question is simply did he pilot any of the monsters in Attack of the Crab Monsters. If yes, he is a kaiju.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Re: Godzilla SP episode 7: JESUS CHRIST OXYGEN DESTROYER MADNESS! Also Jet Jaguar Invincible! This is seriously the best G since Shin.