Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm actually not that big a fan of Shin's final form but his tadpole/amphibious stage is loving terrifying.
His final form just lacks mobility, which you think he'd have more of when you realize a lot of his extra bulk was applied via CGI in post. He just doesn't move enough to feel real to me, which was not a problem his tadpole form had.

i appreciated the lack of mobility. it gave the whole thing a more pronounced sense of inevitability and impending doom. it fits perfectly with the feeling you get during a slow motion disaster like fukushima daiichi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Evangelion would be perfect if it were one of those "icon director as producer/hot action director in the chair" sort of things like Transformers (Spielberg/Bay) or Man of Steel (Nolan/Snyder).

except the "icon producer" is Anno and Gareth Edwards is the man in the chair. Creator of Eva/Godzilla director + Godzilla director = EVA live-action!

edit: this is roughly how I imagine the MGS movie will eventually get made, except with Kojima and Vogt-Roberts instead of Anno and Edwards. If Japan isn't gonna do anything with the weird auteurs that it has sitting around we ought to. Bring Anno, Kojima, Beat Takeshi and Miike to America, give them an international cast and $30 million budget and let them go nuts.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 26, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still keep hoping every new James Bond movie will end with a giant robot fight.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

DC Murderverse posted:

Evangelion would be perfect if it were one of those "icon director as producer/hot action director in the chair" sort of things like Transformers (Spielberg/Bay) or Man of Steel (Nolan/Snyder).

except the "icon producer" is Anno and Gareth Edwards is the man in the chair. Creator of Eva/Godzilla director + Godzilla director = EVA live-action!

edit: this is roughly how I imagine the MGS movie will eventually get made, except with Kojima and Vogt-Roberts instead of Anno and Edwards. If Japan isn't gonna do anything with the weird auteurs that it has sitting around we ought to. Bring Anno, Kojima, Beat Takeshi and Miike to America, give them an international cast and $30 million budget and let them go nuts.

https://twitter.com/VogtRoberts/status/1022107339753541632

https://twitter.com/VogtRoberts/status/1019188385188122624

Relevant because, uhh, King Kong guy and very Kaiju-esque mecha.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
I just watched Shin Godzilla for the first time based on this thread. That was something. I'm not sure I've ever felt so removed from Godzilla. He (it?) really did feel more like a sort of freakish accident than an animal - like some sort of unthinking fungal infection. Something that grows under a rock that should never see the light of day.

I also find it oddly sweet and refreshing to see civil servants portrayed as the heroes. They're bumbling, sort of, but also smart, determined, and well meaning. It's an interesting contrast to see Godzilla reduced to a chaotic biological catastrophe while the government suits get to save the day. It's a little like the standard Godzilla formula flipped on its head.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I like that the MUTOs are organic stealth bombers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Szmitten posted:

I like that the MUTOs are organic stealth bombers.

Or scaled-up xenomorphs, according to the production team for G14. Early concept art was a bit more explicit about them being giant xenomorphs until they went in more of a preying mantis direction.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Console Role Player posted:

Shin-Godzilla chat: in the final part of the movie the scientist played by Shinya Tsukamoto mentions that he believes Shin-Godzilla is capable of evolving a "flying form" to travel across the globe. Combined with Shin Godzilla's final images, I've kinda interpreted this to mean that potential sequels could introduce creatures that "bud" from the main Godzilla body, evolving into familiar monsters like Ghidora, Gigan, what have you. It's dumb but at least it's different. I'd also be happy with just another film with a constantly evolving Godzilla transforming in to greater and more grotesque perversions of the iconic Godzilla design.

gently caress that would be so loving cool, I'm mad now that this probably will never happen. Gigan being retconned in this continuity into being the next evolution of Godzilla would be nuts.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gatts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38rI-t4o2A

I really like Godzilla 14. Take a look at some closer ups of Godzilla's face animations especially at the end of the clip. There's more there going on under the surface, like recognition or some kind of warmth.

Godzilla as a cranky old anti-hero is a solid version imo.

Look at how much dignity and nobility they managed to squeeze out of his fat little lizard face

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dignity, sure, but I much prefer his poo poo eating grin at Hawaii

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

As far as big G faces goes, his "I'm so loving done with this poo poo" scowl right before smashing the MUTO against a building is perfect.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
His "I'm getting too old for this poo poo" shrug right after is the best.

And then the building drops on him.

Poor Goji.

BTW, I think I'm gonna go ahead and write that Man of Steel vs. Godzilla script, a.k.a. Space Godizlla is Such a Dick

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
'14 Godzilla is kind of adorable.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

K. Waste posted:

His "I'm getting too old for this poo poo" shrug right after is the best.

And then the building drops on him.

Poor Goji.

BTW, I think I'm gonna go ahead and write that Man of Steel vs. Godzilla script, a.k.a. Space Godizlla is Such a Dick
Mothra will knead his sore back like a giant cat.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tekne posted:

Mothra will knead his sore back like a giant cat.

Nah, Battra. Battra is that universe's Mothra who's been experimented on, and who comes and helps Superman break free of the malevolent grasp Space Goji has on his mind.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I prefer Battra's originial working title, GIGAMOTH.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

K. Waste posted:

There may be some rights issues to work out seeing that Goji's part of the Marvel universe

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Shneak posted:

At the very end he reminds me of a dog who spent the whole day running around at the park

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nroo posted:

There may be some rights issues to work out seeing that Goji's part of the Marvel universe

I can't believe K Waste's new script is the most ambitious crossover in history.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As far as big G faces goes, his "I'm so loving done with this poo poo" scowl right before smashing the MUTO against a building is perfect.

Seriously, that one "I've figured you out, fucker" does more to establish Godzilla's intelligence and personality than most kaiju get in an entire movie. That moment of Godzilla silently catching his breath after a big victory is straight out of a wuxia movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't believe K Waste's new script is the most ambitious crossover in history.

Somewhere a long the line it was lost that the primary role of a producer is just to be an ideas man. I'm a 2000% better ideas man.

All this poo poo about "crossovers" and "universes" is just the latest way to sell sequels, when they ask for these kinds of franchises, nobody is actually taking the concept seriously, about how the 'crossing over' should be used as an excuse for some kind of cross-breeding/contamination. Like, Godzilla leaves an indelible mark on the cape man movie, and the cape man movie leaves an indelible mark on the giant monster movie.

Something like Justice League, on the other hand, doesn't even make any sense because despite overtures of connectivity, it's very obviously a highly self-contained 'universe.' The same thing keeps happening over and over again, a big devil man comes and needs to be stopped. Same thing with any studio who is attempting to 'compete' with a company that literally only makes superhero movies, whose 100% resources are devoted to making only one kind of movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mike_dougherty/status/1022206801545064448?s=21

"Contains original themes by Akira Ifukube"

Yes!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yessss

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please cleanse my pallet of that atrocious remix from Ready Player One

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Pff, lemme know when they get some Masaru Sato tracks in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX-ZGzVXohs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wish it said “Alexandre Desplat” tbh. That score is badass and I want more

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Shneak posted:

I like when him the soldier guy kinda share that moment

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I'm watching 14, and the quarantined zone is some real good set/production design.

E: Man, Aaron Taylor-Johnson is really just a nondescript white guy, huh.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 28, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

So I'm watching 14, and the quarantined zone is some real good set/production design.

If you want to have fun, see how many city shots in the film are just Vancouver (it's all of them)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I should clarify that this is a rewatch.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Been thinking about it and while I'd love to see the current Shin Godzilla crew tackle MechaGodzilla vs Godzilla, I'd also be worried it would just become any Eva episode turned live -action. On the other hand... I still just want to see that realized.

Thanks for the updates on how the US vs. JPN films are trading off. I'd accept the Legendary line to go full "Action-Kaiju-Godzilla" and just pump out one monster match up a year with Hollywood level budgets. Then the Toho line could keep the "Terror/Disaster-Godzilla" every so many years between Legendary spectacles.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Waffleman_ posted:

I have a hard time faulting his performance; I'm not sure there was really much for the character to do after his dad dies. I counted this up a few years back and I think ATJ's character says like 12 total words in the last 30 minutes of the movie.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
He's deliberately a blank slate who gets to somehow be in person for most of the action, so he's an audience proxy. It's not a new character device, but in this case was a major misstep. In kaiju flicks, the lion's share of the plot will be the human side of things. If you don't make it interesting, people start to notice how much of that expensive giant monster screen time you didn't make.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Choco1980 posted:

He's deliberately a blank slate who gets to somehow be in person for most of the action, so he's an audience proxy. It's not a new character device, but in this case was a major misstep. In kaiju flicks, the lion's share of the plot will be the human side of things. If you don't make it interesting, people start to notice how much of that expensive giant monster screen time you didn't make.

Yeah. I wouldn't exactly call most of the Kong Skull Island characters well-written, but at least there was some "there" there, so it was a bit more interesting (if not necessarily as *good*) as G'14.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I thought he was fine. He kept things moving and had his good moments. I don't want anyone taking attention away from the monsters by being over the top.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think 14 being framed as sort of a disaster movie helps compensate for the weakness of the human plot, really.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I just don't see a fundamental difference between Brody's characterization and Taylor-Johnson's acting and what we mostly get out of Godzilla movies. I liked that reserved, observant quality - it helps in the context of films about puny humans facing god-like forces.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Amechwarrior posted:

Been thinking about it and while I'd love to see the current Shin Godzilla crew tackle MechaGodzilla vs Godzilla, I'd also be worried it would just become any Eva episode turned live -action. On the other hand... I still just want to see that realized.

The Shin Godzilla milieu seems to be "utterly mundane current world but with an awakened Lovecraftian Great Old One running amok" and it'd be really really difficult to introduce MechaGodzilla into that without changing it too much and having to skip ahead a few decades in technologic advancements or introduce crazy alien tech. We couldn't even build anything like the Gotengo using current technology and MechaGodzilla is quite a few steps beyond that. But a story about dozens of layers of Japanese bureaucracy working together to develop a Godzilla-fighting machine would be pretty wonderful. :allears:

I think the Legendary Monsterverse might have the same problems, their setting is a bit too 'grounded' for Monarch to suddenly start rolling out Jaegers.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, while I "get" the complaints about Taylor-Johnson being boring, I think even post-Cranston he's very good in the airport shuttle scene or in that train bridge attack set piece. And the last thirty minutes are so drat good there's really no need for him to say more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, yeah, he's not bad. The scene with him and the Japanese boy was good.