Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Timby posted:

BRING ME MY THREE-HEADED DRAGON KING FROM HELL, DOUGHERTY

This is what the "clapping emoji between each word" was invented for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

the zip line ends at the truck, but the ride doesnt end at the truck. from there Ghidorah is driven to the set of Godzilla: King of the Monsters were they must fight Rodan, Mothra, and Godzilla, all whom have been given permission to use wrestling moves on the kaiju

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

McSpanky posted:

Do they make blacklight tattoo ink?

They do!

http://nextluxury.com/mens-style-and-fashion/how-long-do-glow-in-the-dark-tattoos-last/

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Panfilo posted:

You're a Lannister, Kong. Start acting like one.

A Lannister always flays his pecs

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

When that brass started up at the beginning I felt like levitating six inches off my chair.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I like 2014 Godzilla but they did take the cock-teasing a bit too far. It's no big deal and doesn't make it a lesser movie or anything like that but it my ideal world it would have had 4 - 6 more minutes of Big G. So I'm glad this new one is going balls-out Monster Mash.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Be secure in your own judgement and don't trust Internet Critics. We are at a real low point in film criticism.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Atomic breath can't melt steel beams.

I assure you it can

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm taking my 5 year old to this after I see it tonight and vet it. Very excited! See you tomorrow fellow Godzilla fans!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Verisimilidude posted:

This also negates anything that mothra does in the movie, since all mothra does is fend off Rodan which didn’t matter in the end since Godzilla would’ve just killed it as well. Mothra does literally nothing in the movie because of this. It’s purely a visual.

You're doing the Youtube thing where you pretend to be a dumbass in order to score points on a movie you didn't like (perfectly ok not to like this movie, btw) Mothra prevents Rodan from helping Ghidorah fight Godzilla, who even in Juice Mode was still mostly stalemated with Ghidorah. In fact we literally have a movie in Monsterverse cannon, G'14, that shows that Godzilla has a lot of trouble when he fights a big bruiser + a flying guy at the same time. So Mothra kept Rodan out of the fight because....

the "tension" of the final fight was that Godzilla would get killed *before* he powered up completely. Once he actually got there (with the humans' help, always with the humans' help!) it was just a victory lap for Burning Godzilla. And of course that fun shot where it looks like Ghidorah survived but no, he's literally being grilled alive by Godzilla.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW Tekne, I have to say that your description that "Godzilla '14 is an operatic kaiju movie and KOTM is a metal one" is bang on. The harping about the plot feels completely overblown to me; it's serviceable and has a few nice moments (and a few small duds). "It's all exposition or characters stating their motivation" is pretty much true of any blockbuster, going all the way back to Raiders of the Lost Ark. This kind of movie lives or dies on the amount of screen presence of the actor delivering the dialogue which is why Charles Dance's banal lines seem really good and the others...not so much.

Anyway I really enjoyed this, it does de-mystify and "cartoonize" Godzilla but that's inevitable in any serial that revolves around a mysterious/ivory-tower type character.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tekne posted:

Thank you, I'm hyped to see what kind of music Godvilla vs Kong plays for us.

Carly Rae Jepsen's Emotion, but with Kaiju.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The more I let the movie digest the more I’m finding issues with it which is sad because I feel most of them could have been avoided? Anyways my real big issue with the movie is really one thing:

1. Monarch.
So it’s now 5 years later and.... Monarch is apparently a multi-national trillion+ dollar operation with bunkers, field bases at each titan location, a gigantic underwater base, a gigantic air carrier, a loving air wing of fighter pilots, and their own platoon of soldiers to run operations with. What in the god drat gently caress??? Who funded this?

Silicon Valley venture capital.

Also I think some of y'all are misunderstanding that the low-key faces of Monarch we see in G'14 were never intended to be the entirety of the organization. They were on the DL until the events of Godzilla'14. Then the cat's out of the bag and so are they.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The idea that the tech advanced a whole bunch doesn't resonate with me. The Ospreys are real aircraft. The computer monitors....they're computer monitors. The command and control stuff looked like the Bourne movies. The Argo was really the only thing that strained credibility but if you're going after that in a film that features a flying 1000000,000000 ton dragon that shoots gravity beams and lighting then I just don't know what to say. It strikes me as wanting the Monsterverse to be "regular earth but with Titans" but that was never going to happen and that's literally NEVER been how the Godzilla movies have operated past their initial installments.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 31, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CityMidnightJunky posted:

2014 Godzilla I could see it being a contest if Kong had a growth spurt. But this Godzilla? My only guess is that they give Kong some weaponry, preferably a pair of 200 ft assault rifles. Otherwise he's getting his loving rear end kicked.

I loved the implication in the movie that Godzilla is actually not particularly good at fighting on land - I mean, he's a brick so he's still pretty good - but as a mostly-aquatic dude if he gets you in the water you're fuckin' toast.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tekne posted:

King Ghidorah is toxic masculinity personified. The Golden Demise attacks or destroys what displeases him, demands others serve him, and reshapes the world to his liking with merciless violence.

Hell the dude can't even get along with himself!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Who's the Danny Devito analogue?

Left Head

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SCROLL PAST IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE

Mike D confirms that Mothra's death powered up Godzilla's super-critical blast wave and showed some cool stills

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1136254524388184064

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Burkion posted:

That was perfectly clear, people just weren't paying attention.

The giant flaming moth wings and her roar crying out every time he unleashed the power should have been a hint.

I honestly was marking out too bad to notice, but here's the thing: they had a second explanation of him going "super-critical" on a countdown timer so it didn't really matter at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

They literally show the ruins of San Francisco turning into a full-on arboreal forest in 5 years, how are people missing this?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gamera being a gamer is Just Too Good

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Panfilo posted:

Beat me to it. Just imagining him getting scared and tucking his arms and head inside his hoodie.

Oh no! Gamera is having a heated gaming moment!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So it's like there's an Akira-style catastrophic psychic event, and then suddenly the First Earth Batallion gets pulled out of mothballs the US spends five years and billions upon billions of dollars on worldwide cavernous pyramidal megastructures stocked with useless ginseng and crystals, jade yoni eggs - staffed by Deepak Chopras and so-forth. And, like, no. I'm not a total cynic; that's not how it would go down. They would just throw more cash at Lockheed Martin or something.

To be fair though that's a pretty dope idea for a movie!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also, he can throw poop. Godzilla has a notoriously weak stomach (from the radiation poisoning)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

dentist toy box posted:

The fights aren't even very good. There's nothing really memorable in any of them.

Rodan doing that barrel roll and Ghidorah and Godzilla getting supercharged in their own cool ways are both memorable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

KOTM is even worse than a one-off bad movie, it actually dismantled some solid world-building done in G14 and Skull Island.

"World building" isn't real and there isn't a single franchise that doesn't discard/mutate both thematic and plot elements from one film to another.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dammerung posted:

I agree, and discarding certain elements can be done well to tell a story that people connect with, or poorly to create dissonance between two related movies. KOTM felt very much like the latter to me, particularly with regards to Godzilla's new characterization as a vengeful and petty titan.

The end of Godzilla '14 is "Savior of the City? this dude wrecked a whole bunch of stuff" and KOTM is "savior of all humanity, actually, and yeah he wrecks stuff"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

He looks at them and shows off. The movie is obsessed with displays of power from the good-guy kaiju in it, whether it be Mothra unfurling her big beautiful glowing wings or Godzilla blowing big blue atomic fireworks.

I do agree that some of the "I'm too old for this poo poo" angle of Godzilla from '14 got dropped but it wasn't replaced by malevolence.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I’d actually pinpoint that as being the main failure of the movie: the monsters have this almost desperation to impress that ultimately makes them come across as smaller. Like, psychologically small.

The gold guy bites a power line and blasts the entire sky with electricity, and I can’t for the life of me tell you how this makes him more dangerous than he was previously - let alone why he didn’t do it earlier.

I mean, that's a fair criticism. G'14 destroys your town without even intending to because it's an anthill to him and he's on the way to a Big Rumble. G'19 flexes and poses and shows off to you. Look at meeeeee! Good thing I did, in fact, want to look at him.

Dammerung posted:

And I would disagree about Godzilla not acting negatively - if this isn't malevolence, it's the next closest thing.

It's a badass glower, gimme a break. If Godzilla wanted those guys dead they're fuckin' dead. Again it's "I'm so badass, look at how badass I am!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dammerung posted:

Godzilla 2019 seems small and insecure and the furthest thing from a badass, especially because he wouldn't be alive without those guys that he's glowering at.

Those guys also hosed him over in the first place. He was winning.

I've never said Godzilla thinks people are ants, but it's totally in the film's text that he fucks up most of Oahu with a tsunami and doesn't give a poo poo, nor does he give a poo poo about the skyscraper he turfs the male MUTO into.

BTW if I find an ant or a spider in my house I put it outside. But I've definitely hosed up all their poo poo when gardening and not particularly cared. Things to do.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Arcsquad12 posted:

The G14 Godzilla was doing pest control. The G19 Godzilla was facing a challenger for his crown; he acknowledges humans helped him but he makes sure they recognize he is in charge, especially considering humans reacted to every move he made in the movie with aggression, up to trying to kill him. If humans want to join the fight, they need to recognize their place as a subordinate to his rule. Godzilla enforced peaceful coexistence between titans and humans, but that ultimately keeps both groups in check. He's not really protecting us from titan aggression, he's keeping everyone in line

You might even say he's the king....of the monsters.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

I totally understand ignoring the "human parts" of a Godzilla movie to enjoy the monster fights. I'd argue that they're one story and it doesn't make sense to do that, but I get it. But the family drama in this Godzilla movie is too obnoxious to be ignored.

And yet, I ignored it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

“I don’t care that the human character suck; I just watch these movies for the monster action.”

Ok, so what are the monsters actually, like, doing? Their actions and motives are really unclear.

“Well according to the human characters...”

I was being flip, SMG. I didn't mind it much but I grew up watching Hong Kong action movies. Those hinge on broad emotional beats and a big theme and little else.

I never misunderstood the Big Bad's Plan, I never minded the dad's outbursts, I wasn't bothered by the humor. I'm easy about this stuff, both because of who I am but also because I've watched enough Godzilla movies to form a callus over the part of my brain that gives a poo poo about human stuff in kaiju movies (for reference, I also liked Brody's character in G'14 and enjoyed all the human poo poo in Pacific Rim). I can see how people would be bothered by it, and I respect that position.

I originally got back into this thread because KOTM's Godzilla was being described as malevolent. There's not a lot of text that supports that IMO.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 13, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Burkion posted:

Mothra coming down and kicking Ghidorah's rear end as the chanting goes GOJIRA MOSURA FOREVER is the best moment I've had in a theater in years, lame flimsy rear end human scenes be damned

Yeah, pretty much. I think if you love kaiju spectacle you can appreciate the parts that the film got right. Rodan's Bongo Drums Of Doom bop-bopping while he leveled a city simply by flying over it is extremely good poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wish it was one of the old Showa or the new Legendary Godzillas. I find Shin Godzilla repulsive aesthetically (he's v. cool don't get me wrong, and I like the movie a lot) and yes I know I'm alone in that, lots of people love the Shinster

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

funky not a junkie posted:

There was that Godzilla game on PS4 a few years ago that looks cool but the gameplay gets extremely repetitive and boring. The thing is that they haven’t seemed to figure out how to translate “big slow lumbering monster” into fun gameplay mechanics so far

Edit: I just remembered the ps2 game “RAD: Robotic Alchemic Drive” and I am fairly certain that’s the ultimate kaiju video game experience and nothing else has come close

Movie Monster Game is also pretty good, if repetitive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Movie_Monster_Game

Blast from the past.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I would actually like to see a, say, 4v1 asymmetrical game where one person is the kaiju and the other 4 play feuding departments of the response that can only exchange information in extremely inefficient ways.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vinylshadow posted:

What a charming individual

I honestly respect it. He's setting boundaries and that's good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is colossal the one about the lady who projects the abuse she gets into the manifestation of a giant monster on the other side of the world?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm sad the Monsterverse is done. I liked every movie for different reasons and GvK is no exception. I found the shots in GvK to be a bit flat but the fights were choreographed extremely well and every Kaiju had their own personality. I did love that apparently the biggest move you can do on another Kaiju is put their rear end through a skyscraper. I got the usual thrills from the genre, as well as the usual weaknesses. Good stuff.