Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

no film could survive Godzilla 2014's protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Seriously, name one for which this is not the case. Rodan's is pretty decent.

Apart from the original? Ghidorah the 3 Headed Monster, Godzilla vs. Mothra, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Biollante

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I will grant you Ghidorah, Mothra and Biolante. Biolante's story is especially cool, Mothra's is probably the most unique.

I think part of it is also that traditionally Godzilla movies are much fleeter, so even if there is only 10-15 minutes of monster action, the pacing helps it to never feel logy. Godzilla 2014 is only a hair over two hours, but iirc that still makes it the third longest Godzilla movie after Godzilla Final Wars and Godzilla '98.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Detective Dog Dick posted:

The aliens who turn into Ape-Men when you kill them in Mechagodzilla were badass.

I don't know which I prefer, them or the ones who turn into roaches in Godzilla vs. Gigan

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Detective Dog Dick posted:

It's honestly a really lovely movie.

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla are both really dope, I should rewatch those soon.

Anguiras getting the holy hell beaten out of him by Mechagodzilla is still startling, even though taking a beating is kind of Anguiras' thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

He does have a second brain around there, classic second rear end brain. (mentioned in Destoroyah or some 90s movie I think)

Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla I think. That one has that subplot about the dude with the weird blood coagulant bullet out for revenge on Godzilla

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I can't believe Gareth Edwards didn't say at some point, "Dude, are you awake? You can emote, I won't get angry."

Godzilla '14 and Age of Ultron should definitely be enough to get this dude barred from acting

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

He's Keanu without the awkward physical charisma.

He wasn't distractingly bad in Kick-rear end, which I guess makes that his closest equivalent to a Bill & Ted in this scenario.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Compared to Godzilla, he was a loving spitfire in Age of Ultron.

Sure, but what about if you hold it to the standards of, like, any other acting?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Actually Aaron Taylor Johnson was perfectly serviceable as a army guy with a distant, hosed up dad who just returned from a army mission being shell shocked that there is a 100-story monster running around the globe chasing 2 other monsters the size of skyscrapers.

I think he was less than serviceable as a human being with thoughts or emotions of any kind.

But then David Straithairn wasn't really up to anything interesting either, and he's an actual actor.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What's your favorite shot in that movie?

Didn't ask me, but the bit where the MUTO is bearing down on the protagonist in that really awesomely framed widescreen shot near the end. And of course the bit with the stomping foot on tha airport tarmac. I have a lot of complaints about that movie but Seamus McGarvey crafts some incredibly striking images. Do we know if he's returning for the sequel?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's weird after how fugly The Avengers was that McGarvey immediately helmed one of the most visually striking popcorn movies in recent memory.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Godzilla vs Mothra is probably the greatest monster movie ever made

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

i can't believe i have to be stoop this low: Mothra vs. Godzilla is the '64 film, Godzilla vs. Mothra is the '90s one with Battra. The former is superior and, as Boogeystein says, probably (one of) the best giant monster movie(s) ever made.

but, like Italian horror movie titles, kaiju movie titles have a lot of variants floating around. This is the VHS tape i and i'm sure a lot of others of my generation had:

(yes i still have it)

my way of differentiating them is that the '90s one is Godzilla vs. Mothra: The Battle For Earth.

it kinda falls right in the middle of the Heisei movies, quality-wise. Battra is very cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Godzilla vs Hedorah kicks so much rear end and I still wonder why it hasn't caught on in the midnight movie circuit

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I had a feeling that first part might be the case, that's a shame.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

It's almost like Godzilla fans don't really like Godzilla.

Jesus are we really gonna do this

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just really hate the look of Godzilla in that one compared to the other Heisei movies but I should give the original japanese version a shot. The sea lice freaked me out good as a kid.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The amount of Godzilla could've worked if the scenes without Godzilla in them were any good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah, the problem with G14 isn't Godzilla's limited screen time - that's actually in keeping with many of the originals - the problem is how horribly uninteresting every single actor who isn't named Bryan Cranston is.

It should be a crime to waste David Straithairn like that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

That film is an underappreciated piece of genius. It's a great follow-up of to the very weird Biollante entry.

Yeah I agree. Both by the same director, I think it's a shame he didn't get to do more. The way he frames the fight scenes is outstanding.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah, the problem with G14 isn't Godzilla's limited screen time - that's actually in keeping with many of the originals - the problem is how horribly uninteresting every single actor who isn't named Bryan Cranston is.

Quoting this from a few pages back because I just got out of Godzilla: Resurgence and boy does it prove this. If anything, this movie probably has an even higher ratio of people standing around talking to giant monster action, and yet the human characters are so much more rich and compelling even as the movie deliberately pushes the idea of most of them being anonymous bureaucrats.

Great movie. It was a little slow, but in that good way, like how 2001 is slow, where it enhances the movie.

My only real complaint is the sound mixing. A lot of the sound effects don't quite have that oomph to them to really sell the destruction, and while the music selection is brilliant and works as a counterpoint to the action as well as any movie I've seen in recent memory, it often feels poorly mixed in with the rest of the soundtrack.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

The thing about Godzilla 2014 is, I suppose the human characters are kind of flat, but even though Godzilla has very little screen time, the entire movie is essentially about him. The characters don't have time to be developed or get "interesting", every scene is about how they're reacting to monsters being unleashed on the Earth, and what the gently caress do you do in that situation, can you even do anything, etc.

Again, Godzilla: Resurgence flatly disproves this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Invoking Ozu makes more sense here.

That's what I was gonna say too

if I really liked this movie should I watch Evangelion? I'm not an anime super fan (clearly, since I've never seen Evangelion), but neither do I have a problem with anime.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Never seen one of his films. Where should I start?

Tokyoooooo Stoooooory

Have tissues handy, will cry.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The back lasers are basically just an updated version of that full-body beam attack he did sometimes in the Heisei moves.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

OB_Juan posted:

I want to see Shin Mothra

gently caress yeah. Also Shin Rodan.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm really glad it's doing so well. This was my first time getting to see a Japanese Godzilla movie on the big screen. Even though show times were weird (11 AM and 12 PM on a Sunday), it sold out both showings.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BattleTech posted:

You're kidding yourself if you think G98 is even close to being the worst one when this exists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uICJrR7HRE

Counterpoint: Godzilla '98 is literally twice as long as Godzilla's Revenge. And all things being equal, i'd still rather watch Godzilla's Revenge twice than Godzilla '98 once.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

as annoying as Minya is, I think Godzilla's Revenge is kinda fun actually. It's just so batshit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I haven't seen this yet, but I watched The X From Outer Space with my 2 year old the other day and now he's breaking his toys and blaming it on Guilala. If this little kaiju flick resurgence continues, X From Outer Space should get a modern remake that's a cross between 2001 and Shin Godzilla.

X From Outer Space loving rules.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wish Classic Media could redo those in blu ray, they were great DVDs. I have Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, Mothra vs. Godzilla, and the Rodan/War of the Gargantuas two-pack.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

King Kong Escapes is super good. I'm a big fan of both Mechani-Kong and Gorosaurus as kaiju.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

ehhh

Don't get me wrong, Aliens is really good, but there's a lot of competition for that title.

Aliens isn't even the best Vietnam movie of 1986.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Platoon doesn't count because it is about Vietnam.

Fair enough

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I enjoy GMK, but it's definitely not even 1/10th as good as any entry in the Gamera trilogy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rodan is incredible.

yeah its a top 5 Toho Kaiju movie for sure.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

who the hell complains about Godzilla being unrealistic

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Similarly, the 90s Gamera trilogy is extremely good and no goofier than a movie about a fire breathing rocket turtle has to be on its face.

hell, by the end of the trilogy they get shockingly intense.

that trilogy kicks so much rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shin Godzilla had a lot of laughs, it's a dark comedy as much as anything.